stihl ms280 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamp45

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am considering buying a stihl ms280. The local dealer quoted me a really good price. $449.00 w/ a 18' bar. I would like to hear opinions both pro and con on these saws. thanks Ron

Liked the couple I had. Very smooth AV. Some think they are to soft but I had no issue.

Well built.

How much is a 270? I have run both a little, and did not think there was enough difference in power to justify the 280 costing much more.

Liked the couple I had. Very smooth AV. Some think they are to soft but I had no issue.

Well built.

Except the heavy plastic/metal case, the bulk and the weight!

+ that it is a really hard saw to work on, according to those that should know.......

Ya a little heavy but not that bad. I believe you are thinking of the 290 as for being a pain to work on. These are not that bad.

Yep!

you can get a 346 for that money.

That's what I say. Nuttin' wrong with the 280. I had one and it was a fine saw. No problems. It did everything I asked it to with ease. Very good saw. But, you can get a Husq 346XP with less weight, more power, more rpm, decomp valve, slimmer profile, commercial rated and only, as Clint would say, for a few dollars more. Unless you're completely partial to Stihl, and I wouldn't blame ya if ya were, get the 346. Either way you're gonna love what you get.

That's what I say. Nuttin' wrong with the 280. I had one and it was a fine saw. No problems. It did everything I asked it to with ease. Very good saw. But, you can get a Husq 346XP with less weight, more power, more rpm, decomp valve, slimmer profile, commercial rated and only, as Clint would say, for a few dollars more. Unless you're completely partial to Stihl, and I wouldn't blame ya if ya were, get the 346. Either way you're gonna love what you get.

Why would you need a 346xp to cut any tree in Cullman with all those scrubby little pines? Now in Good Hope you might need one, but not Cullman. :msp_smile:

My back yard.

Inside the city limits? I was trying to remember where all the big trees were (I haven’t been to Cullman since 2008); I was thing they were all near the middle school/high school. Then I remembered they had big oaks around the civic center, old armory near sportsman’s lake, up around the north Cullman shopping center, you know, maybe I got Cullman and Good Hope confused. Good Hope had all the scruffy little pines. :)

Inside the city limits? I was trying to remember where all the big trees were (I haven’t been to Cullman since 2008); I was thing they were all near the middle school/high school. Then I remembered they had big oaks around the civic center, old armory near sportsman’s lake, up around the north Cullman shopping center, you know, maybe I got Cullman and Good Hope confused. Good Hope had all the scruffy little pines. :)

It's a mixed breed. We gotta lotta pines in good hope, mostly scruffy little ones like you said. I've been here since '95, orig from Bonaire, GA. I've been a tree cuttin nut since '92. love it luv it love it

It's a mixed breed. We gotta lotta pines in good hope, mostly scruffy little ones like you said. I've been here since '95, orig from Bonaire, GA. I've been a tree cuttin nut since '92. love it luv it love it

I lived there 1981-1990 until I joined the Navy. My mom stayed until 1999 when she came to Washington where I was stationed. I got transferred to Michigan in 2008 and she moved to Decatur. I took my kids to see my old house in 2008. The fields that I played and hunted in were now pine forests with 6-8in diameter trees and about 25 feet tall. If it weren’t for the buildings, I would have been lost.

Since you have been cutting for 20 years, I wouldn’t do anything to that old 038 you have unless you have a lot of problems with kickback. Good saw.

Last edited:
I am considering buying a stihl ms280. The local dealer quoted me a really good price. $449.00 w/ a 18' bar. I would like to hear opinions both pro and con on these saws. thanks Ron

I picked one up at a pawn shop for $125 a few months ago. With a little clean-up, fresh fuel, tune up and a muffler mod it is now my "go to" saw. I normally run an 18" b/c, but it will pull a 20" just fine. It normally starts with one pull and I've had NO issues with it.

I prefer it to the DCS520i (Makita 52cc) and the Huskies I've ran, although I've never had a 346XP.

Choose what's best for you. See if the dealer will let you try one out behind the shop for a while to see if you like it.

I ran a 270 and a 280 for a year each they are both very good saws. I got a good deal on them. Open up the muffler exhaust hole and they really go. I replaced them with the 346XP and MS261.

I could not honestly tell the difference between a 261 and a 280 if blindfolded, same power and weight.

Back