Stihl or Husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustytools

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I went price shopping today at our local dealers. Was comparing prices and power between the 660 stihl and the 395 husky, both seem to be awesome saws and the price ranges are fairly close but the husky has a two yr. warranty versus the stihl only having a ninety day. I am close to going with the husky on this alone. After getting home I found out that I cant order a new Stihl online so I couldnt compare prices with the local dealers, but on the other hand I could price the 395 online and much to mysurprise the 395 was much cheaper through norwalk than at the local guy who was going to have to order it himself. He wants $1000 +tax with out a bar and chain. Norwalks price was $941 + tax and shipping with a 42 inch bar and three chains. Sounds like a much better deal to me plus they give a list of local guys who will do the warranty work if needed. Just wanted a little in put from anyone who has used both saws and has compared them while milling. Also has anyone in here ever had any dealings with Norwalk equipment?

bigbill

hi -check out baileys they show the 895 for 859.00-and i have used both- the husky or the sthil will do the job -consider this- which service is best for you -ie-do you have a huskyand sthil shop near-or will you do your own maint
i have 12 huskys cant get enough of them i have had good and bad of both but choose husky i know them and they seem much friendler than sthil to work on-if you go the husky have your dealer set the auto oiler at max if your going to mill with it i have been able to without an extra oiler on the bar when set to max-

I have both stihl and husky dealers fairly close , both with in fifteen miles or so. Jusy knowing that husky stands behind their product for 2 yrs versus stihl only being 90 days is something definitely to look at. I havent done any milling with either saw but I have only heard good things about both saws. Thanks for your input Bill.

We recently ran an 066 against a 395, both with 20" bars. They were within a couple hundredths of a second of each other. The 395 is used as a milling saw, and the 066 is a retired milling saw.

I would say it comes down to what you are comfortable with. As far as the warranties...even though Stihl is only 90 on their pro saws, Ive heard stories where Stihl covered an actual defect 3 and 4 years past the sale date. In any event, a real issue is going to show its face in 90 days anyway.

I have run both saws on my mill. I think they are a very close match. Currently my 395 is on the mill. One of the biggest differences to consider is the clutch, inboard on the Stihl and out on the Husky. Seems to me that the Stihl has it over the Husky on this point. Then talk about resale value, Stihl saws sell for more.
Two nice saws to be choosing from!!!!
Mark

I decided to go with the Husky 395XP after much thought and asking about a thousand opinions or so. Im going to send out the order in the morning. The saw comes with a 42 inch bar and three chains (not to mention the hat and shirt). Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to get the chains reground as ive been told that trying to do it by hand is a pain and very time consuming, I didnt know if there was somewhere that they could be sent to have them turned into rippers.

CaseyForrest said:
Youd be better off keeping them and getting Ripping chains from Baileys, I think its .20 or .22 cents a driver.
I agree with casey, you can ALWAYS use chain down the line. Plus, if you regrind regular chain to 5 or 10 degrees for milling, you lose a big chunk of that top plate right off the bat. Bite th bullet and get a couple ripping chains for your mill from Baileys. Thats where I get mine, and have been happy with them.

Yep- what they said...

Filing down regular chain by hand is more trouble than it's worth i.m.o. and good luck finding someone to do it for you, especially a saw shop. The ripping chain sold by Bailey's, which is actually Oregon or WoodsmanPro depending on the size you get, works quite well at a good price.

Latest posts

Back