Stihl quality headed downhill bad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 661 has more secrets than all other saws combined... What all issues have they had or are having? I'll get one one of these days but not till they get em worked out...

I've only heard of the initial 2013 cylinder plating issue on a couple saw oversees and an update on the intake manifold to one without the 2 rubber o-rings, that could come loose and partially block the intake. I guess there may have been a coil update, and of course a solenoid or two go out, but that is "normal". I would just get the saw and see for yourself, especially if you have a good dealer, i really like the performance and design.

Ask RockJock for the special fuel/blend they use if they haven't had issues....

In PA, I use 93 octane pump gas with ethanol, so i add 40:1 stihl hp synthetic to protect against the ethanol and it's ability to absorb water.

This I did not know! I am surprised actually! All the ones I have sold have the made in Germany sticker on them BUT have the spark screen. Mine back in Germany does not. Most interesting!!!

My 036 PRO was also a US made saw. Serial number started with a 2. They made zillions of 361 saws here in the states. Supposedly the 361 production line in the US was moved to Brazil where they are making them now.

I've only heard of the initial 2013 cylinder plating issue on a couple saw oversees and an update on the intake manifold to one without the 2 rubber o-rings, that could come loose and partially block the intake. I guess there may have been a coil update, and of course a solenoid or two go out, but that is "normal". I would just get the saw and see for yourself, especially if you have a good dealer, i really like the performance and design.

Ask RockJock for the special fuel/blend they use if they haven't had issues....

In PA, I use 93 octane pump gas with ethanol, so i add 40:1 stihl hp synthetic to protect against the ethanol and it's ability to absorb water.

That is what I had heard. 7 Posted the 661 recall info from Austria in Europe which listed the (rather large) serial number range in the recall (posted in my 661 recall thread here on AS). In the recall they were to replace the jug, slug, intake boot and cylinder gasket. Since then I have had several people PM me asking about 661 saws being sold in the states with serial numbers in the range of the recall, w/o the new intake boot. Seems that some distributors are trying to dump bad recalled saws on the market? There was no official recall from Stihl for these saws in the states, but all the dealers here know about it that I have talked to. They are supposedly on the third 661 cylinder, and the second coil for new 661 saws being produced now. I have not heard about piston problems, but they were listed for replacing in the EU recall.

Personally, I am keeping my 660 and staying away from all Mtronic saws. But that's my orange screwdriver talking. I also have enough 361s now to last me the rest of my life.

Latest posts

Back