Stihl Saw I.D...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
Reaction score
Hi gents.
Had a customer come around Sunday to get a BB kit fitted to his MS660/MS650 and his mate brought around an older model (but not real old) Stihl to have a look at. It was his brother's saw that got parked in the shed a number of years ago. The P&C is excellent with good compression - he's asked me to try and get the bits needed to get it running again.
Trouble is I don't know what model Stihl it is!
Physically it is a similar size to an MS660, just a bit taller above the handle where the filter is. The bore looks a similar size to a 660 through the exhaust port but that's pretty subjective.
Any help appreciated.
Matt

260920111611.jpg

260920111613.jpg

260920111614.jpg

260920111617.jpg

260920111620.jpg

260920111618.jpg

Single port muffler...

260920111616.jpg

260920111622.jpg

The serial number is 123257741 so hope that may help confirm something.

Last he remembers was that it was a WHOLE saw. It's now missing a lot of parts, including the oiler and filter etc etc. What you see in the picture is all there is. Even the screws out of the starter housing have been nabbed by someone. I gather his brother who is a full time firewood cutter bought a similar saw and used this saw for parts without the younger brother realising it.

Gonna take some serious elbow grease to get that looking good again.

064 was what I was thinking too but really had no idea :) I really don't think it's worth fixing - will be easier to part it out I reckon. He was hoping to get a runner out of it for $200 but I think he may be a bit hopeful.

We have a very similar spider called a black widow.

Yeah I think they've featured in a few American movies :) Our Redbacks can kill you but look like a soccer ball with little legs. Certainly not very quick. Our Funnel Web is the real nasty one.

From what I read they are pretty much like a BW in their bite. They cause localized problems and nausea; death is rare. My dad was bitten by a BW and he was sick for an afternoon. He refused to go to the Dr. who later told him he didn't have to be sick all day!!!!! There are anti-venoms as well as anti-spasmotics.

Matt, bring that piston down to about half the ex port and just use the back end of your verniers to measure the bore size(you do have verniers don't you?)that should give you a pretty good idea on bore size,but going off the pic of the starter housing i reckon it might be a 064 as well:cheers:
52mm=064
54mm=066

Matt, bring that piston down to about half the ex port and just use the back end of your verniers to measure the bore size(you do have verniers don't you?)that should give you a pretty good idea on bore size,but going off the pic of the starter housing i reckon it might be a 064 as well:cheers:
52mm=064
54mm=066

Hey thanks mate. Definately not an 066 so must be an 064 :) She's seen a tough life though that's for sure but P&C excellent.

The serial number is 123257741 so hope that may help confirm something.

Made in Germany, most likely 1991.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to any resources that can tell you what model a saw is from its serial number. Even Stihl themselves would have a job if it wasn't registered with a dealer. But it looks like you know what saw it is now anyway :).

I estimate the date of manufacture using a long list of serial numbers at which updates were introduced and the dates of the corresponding technical bulletins in which they appear. Stihl serial numbers are generally sequential within a given model and series and more generally sequential throughout all their models (since 1981).

Last edited:
Made in Germany, most likely 1991.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to any resources that can tell you what model a saw is from its serial number. Even Stihl themselves would have a job if it wasn't registered with a dealer. But it looks like you know what saw it is now anyway :).

I estimate the date of manufacture using a long list of serial numbers at which updates were introduced and the dates of the corresponding technical bulletins in which they appear. Stihl serial numbers are generally sequential within a given model and series and more generally sequential throughout all their models (since 1981).

Thanks for that mate :cheers: Appreciated.

Latest posts

Back