Stihl used a six shoe clutch on their 090, but what advantage does the 090 six shoe clutch design have over the 070's 3 shoe design?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edmund Hardgrove

Reaction score
Today Stihl has used 3 shoe designs on most all of there largest chainsaws. The MS 881 uses a three shoe design. So what's the advantage of the 090's 6 shoe design? Are there any?

More shoes gives you more tunability. You can vary shoe composition and spring tension to adjust the clutch engagement profile.
I'm guessing that Stihl found that this wasn't necessary, so they went to the simpler 3-shoe clutch.

Side note: a lot of fun karts use a 6-shoe Max-Torque clutch. Yet the racers mostly use a 3-shoe clutch.

While thinking about go-carts... has there ever been a chainsaw that used a torque converter instead of a clutch?

More shoes gives you more tunability. You can vary shoe composition and spring tension to adjust the clutch engagement profile.
I'm guessing that Stihl found that this wasn't necessary, so they went to the simpler 3-shoe clutch.

Side note: a lot of fun karts use a 6-shoe Max-Torque clutch. Yet the racers mostly use a 3-shoe clutch.

While thinking about go-carts... has there ever been a chainsaw that used a torque converter instead of a clutch?
I'm guessing you're correct. Or at least on first blush.

But I haven't done the math. OR, I should say I've done the math and can't figure out why Stihl went with the six shoe clutch. I see no benefit. Which is why I'm guessing they never used it again.

But I'd like more data.

But I haven't done the math. OR, I should say I've done the math and can't figure out why Stihl went with the six shoe clutch. I see no benefit. Which is why I'm guessing they never used it again.

But I'd like more data.
Yes, I don't see much advantage for a chainsaw.

But I'd like more data.
The two things that affect the efficiency of the clutch are, the contact area, and the pressure of the retaining spring. More shoes, might be part of the solution, or part of the problem, because they might be less stable under load. Most of my experience, is with 100 cc saws and three shoe clutches, and I have never had a clutch problem. (well one, I had one explode, but no injuries)

Back