Stock MS361 at 14280rpms....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawTroll

Information Collector
Reaction score
...is something wrong with that, when it "four-strokes" nicely???

I noticed earlier this year that it performed better than ever, and really screamed (15" bar, 8-pin 3/8") - put a tac to it, and it showed that number.

I got a bit scared, and turned it down to 14080, but I don't know if that was really necessary.....:)

Btw, that saw was run in several years ago, so this is not a "run-in" question.

I haven't run it much since that, because of my leg injury, and other saws that need to be run in.

Witchy at 14280, april 2007;

Last edited:
No expert, but seems that is well within the safe +/- you are given from 14K, and likely within the range of variability you would get with day to day change in atmospheric conditions and filter condition. (pre-dishwasher) So maybe another day that same tuning could be right back at 14K? Of course Lake will have the definitive answer any minute now.

I have a question also for Lake about my MS361. I recently did a muffler modification as per Lake's thread in the past. I ran it about 13,500K with the stock muffler and now that it is opened up it 4 strokes in the cut after I richened the H screw. I reset the carb and really smooths out about 14,300K is this setting OK? I run Ultra at 50:1.

Saxman and Sawtroll, I have some bad news you have both ruined your saws.

box them up send them to me and I will dispose of them for free.

This is a short term offer so hurry, I would hate to have to charge you.

Honestly I don't know what you are worried about the crank will probably hold 17k but the stock porting won't support that, you would be too lean.

throw away your tach it is distorting you judgement. tune it to the edge of 4 stroking and :greenchainsaw:

Buck

Just as I was about to leave the dealer with my 361 , I wanted to hear the change on a tach ( I was tachless at the time) , low and behold, we found a winner. It screamed at 17K , they did not check it, we took the limiter caps/tabs off and reset it , but it would have failed if not corrected.

Just my $0.02 worth, I would not go messing with the 361 much with-out a tach,,,, mine cuts real well at little less then 14K free-speed @ 10,000' above sea level,,,,but I came up with that free-speed by doing timed cuts.

There is a distinct '4-cycle' out of the cut , or with real light cutting, but clears right up and goes to town in a cut.

The local dealer here does not pull the stops on the new saws. After breakin 361's are turning 15,000 plus. I know of some that were used daily for over a year at that speed with no problem. I pulled the stops on mine and ran it approx 14,200. My woods port gets 14,700 for work and 16,500 for play.

14,280? Fine... the stihl spec is +/- 1000.... so you're well within it and if it's 4-stroking, you are golden. The published "max" rpm becomes somewhat meanlingless as a tuning aid once you mess with the muffler anyhow.

Opening up the muffler without increasing the max rpm a little is like drinking light beer.. you pee a lot, but.... ;)

Last edited:
The local dealer here does not pull the stops on the new saws. After breakin 361's are turning 15,000 plus. I know of some that were used daily for over a year at that speed with no problem. I pulled the stops on mine and ran it approx 14,200. My woods port gets 14,700 for work and 16,500 for play.

Well, I really liked it at 14280 - so I guess I will turn it back to something like that then......:)

Last edited:
14,280? Fine... the stihl spec is +/- 1000.... so you're well within it and if it's 4-strokiing, you are golden.

..waited for that post, think you said something like that before, just wanted it confirmed.....:clap: :clap: :cheers:

Btw, even if we have several other (and newer) saws, the 361 is still my favourite "all-rounder", but this year has been a bit special - as you might know......

Last edited:
..waited for that post, think you said something like that before, just wanted it confirmed.....:clap: :clap: :cheers:

Btw, even if we have several other (and newer) saws, the 361 is still my favourite "all-rounder", but this year has been a bit special - as you might know......

Ha - didn't notice it was you posting... You're well inside the envelope - Short bars tend to rev higher to you're likely too rich anyhow,

Ha - didn't notice it was you posting... You're well inside the envelope - Short bars tend to rev higher to you're likely too rich anyhow,

Did you notise that it was with an 8-pin - that is my limbing and bucking set-up - felling is mostly done with 18" and 7-pin - maybe what I really need is another 361??????

.....well, may not make much differense, with no load on it.......

Last edited:
you worry way too much.. get out and cut some wood before you are plunged into months of darkness (again...) ;)

Thank you, I know, the problem is my foot - it is getting better, but it is still really swollen and wide across the ancle, and unstable....:censored:

...so I have resorted to cut "flatland" and easy to reach trees, that really are too small for the 361, but still good firewood....:greenchainsaw:

I will "open" the 361 again......

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help Andy! The muffler modification on the 361 took a really good saw and made it great!

14,280? Fine... the stihl spec is +/- 1000.... so you're well within it and if it's 4-stroking, you are golden. The published "max" rpm becomes somewhat meanlingless as a tuning aid once you mess with the muffler anyhow.

Opening up the muffler without increasing the max rpm a little is like drinking light beer.. you pee a lot, but.... ;)

I've heard the term 4-stroking lately.

What exactly does that mean ??? :confused:

Perverts, need not respond...

troll

What happened to your ankle to begin with?

I think you should leave the 7 pin on all the time.

troll

What happened to your ankle to begin with?

Broken when carrying a log down a slope, and slipping in wet grass ++++, ligaments is the main problem now I think + all the scrap metal and screws they put in there to keep the bones together......:cry:

Last edited:
four stroking!!!!!!

I've heard the term 4-stroking lately.

What exactly does that mean ??? :confused:

Perverts, need not respond...

It is Tsmoker tuning terminology,,,, a sort of burbling sound in the RPM at WOT,,, when you open or enrich the H setting on a carb,,,,then while maintaining WOT you can bring it out of four stroking by going Lean or in on the H screw,,, The saw will pick up RPM and smooth out,,, Hence no more 4 stoking...

Hope that helps,,,:givebeer:

It is Tsmoker tuning terminology,,,, a sort of burbling sound in the RPM at WOT,,, when you open or enrich the H setting on a carb,,,,then while maintaining WOT you can bring it out of four stroking by going Lean or in on the H screw,,, The saw will pick up RPM and smooth out,,, Hence no more 4 stoking...

Hope that helps,,,:givebeer:

Hey Rat,

Yeah kinda helps.

So 4- stroking is bad then, right ???

On my 361, is it good enough by ear ??

Or should I invest in a tach. ???

Thanks.

Here's your beer !!!

:cheers:

Back