Straight Gas..how long before failure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know straight gas will kill your saw. How long will it take? One tank or more...or just a few minutes into the tank.

A few minutes or less should tighten things up for you...you would never get a full tank through.

Imagine running your truck with no oil at all in the base.

Last edited:
Lots of variables, It depends on the saw, how much use its had, how much oil and carbon buildup it has internally.. I had a customer with a old Sachs Dolmar 123 that ran 5 tanks of straight gas before it siezed......

Scott

Lots of variables, It depends on the saw, how much use its had, how much oil and carbon buildup it has internally.. I had a customer with a old Sachs Dolmar 123 that ran 5 tanks of straight gas before it siezed......

Scott

That would be the rare exception, though, wouldn't it, Scott?

I was wondering how long it took. With so many saws getting gouged pistons, including the Echo I just aquired, I thought that people need to know how fast it can get ruined.

I think the saw must have had straight gas in it when I bought it.
I am still only gonna be in it for around 250-300 after I have the P&C changed. Still better than 800.00 for a new CS-8000

I rebuilt an old Stihl 2-man auger, had a TS350 engine running it, was owned
by a local greenhouse/nursery for planting tress.

He had used it a few years, suppossedly. I called him to tell him what was
wrong with it, I said, "I'm sorry, but one of your guys must have ran straight gas through it."

He says, "What are you talking about? The gas cap just says "gas"".

We have never used gas/oil mix......

Scott

:agree2:

Another variable....is it a full tank of straight gas or are you topping off a partial mixed tank. That'll give it a "slower" death!

Scott

Not only the saw. If the raw gas is added to an already quarter filled saw that contains 25:1 it might even run the whole tankful - unfortunately falsely confirming for the operator that his mix is OK. Same for the mix tank - he might even get away with it.

Slick 50

It might have lasted a little longer if the 2-stroke version had been
sprayed down the carburetor throat. I even got fished into using the
4-stroke version, no damage I am aware of, but probably didn't help
either. I intend to stick to fresh gas & a good 2 stroke oil.

I use a old windshield washer bottle for my saw mix. Can't miss the blue color

lol no.. I use basic synthetic 2 stroke oil that has blue dyes. Clean and dry before I used it for the gas, pulled the label and marked it saw gas

lol no.. I use basic synthetic 2 stroke oil that has blue dyes. Clean and dry before I used it for the gas, pulled the label and marked it saw gas

here's my testing rig...former weed whacker tank. Have since converted to clear lines so I can see how well the fuel is being drawn/vacuum in carby
D5987A29-7C3A-44E0-93F8-C35696C9E469_zpsa08msfu7.jpg

Latest posts

Back