stupidity stories

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fear's story reminded me of this:. San Angelo, TX group of instructors in an AF tech school. Outdoors types all of us. Get a greenhorn city boy in. Never been hunting/fishing. Take him out and he is in looovvve...
1. Borrows his wife's new car to go fishing at a remote lake through the mesquite. Comes back with scratches everywhere.

2. Take him 'hunting' (mostly just plinking) with his new 9mm pistol. Promplty puts a round through his wife's car windshield from inside.

3. Take him bird hunting; 12 guage through floorboard (wife's car of course).

We refused to let him go with us after number 3. Should have done it after number 2.

Harry K

Well here is one from today. I go and try and adjust the high screw on my new Govt saw (Dolmar 7900) I caved and want to try somthing other than a stihl or a husky since I have ran those for the past 22 yrs. Well I cannot get the screwdriver to turn or grab any screw it just spins so I go tearing into the saw and what to I find a plastic plug on the outside and a metal pin on the inside blocking access to the high screw. WTF Dolmar if I spend $850 on a saw I would hope I could at least have access to adjust the thing damn. Sucks though I still have not got to run the thing yet. Sounds good though. :)

They are mongrels of things to get a screwdriver in. Just make sure the carby is seated properly into it's rubber mount (push down) as that makes it even worse. The screwdriver has to in at an angle on my 7900's to find the screw and even then it's painful.
Luckily I don't have to tune my saws every day :)

My worst moment was nearly two years ago.

[snip]

and stuck it straight through the sidewall of his tyre :censored:
Not only did it write his tyre off but it threw the chain, damaged a heap of drivelinks, wrecked the rubber chip deflector, and tore the crap out of the chain catcher. BUT from memory did not engage the chain brake! Also AUD$110 for a new light truck tyre for his trailer.
Other details getting a bit hazy. have tried to forget it...

The therapy lasted months.

The other problem was that when a similar thread like this popped up a while back somebody said that the funniest story they'd ever heard was about some idiot sticking their saw through a trailer tyre! Well ya prick, that was me!!! :cheers:

:laugh: Mate, I'm still wiping the tears from eyes. No wonder you've never told me that one :D

:laugh: Mate, I'm still wiping the tears from eyes. No wonder you've never told me that one :D

It's been here before Rick - you must have missed it!

It sucked big time...

Oregon LGX is some tough chain mate, hardly damaged a cutter yet took some big bits out of his rim. Still can't believe I was stupid enough to do that :(

I was out in the woods my buddy and I went to take a brake and he put his saw safley behind the tire of a bobcat that he was operating so it would be safe from other machinery...

... it was a honorable idea to say the least.

I shot a rifle in the house.

I've done that a bunch of times, it's the only way to get those stupid squirrels that shred my bird feeders. Every time I walk outside with a rifle, all the wildlife disappears.

I have another short one. My little Poulan had the fuel line fall apart on it (that's what made me get the Stihl) and I got the new fuel line in there after boring out the hole to the gas tank and a lot of fighting with some pliers and the new line. So I went to adjust the carb on it and I ran all the screws in, then back out 1 turn to get started. After running it a little and playing with the choke to keep it running for a while, I finally figured out that if you run the LA screw in all the way that it opens the throttle instead of closes it.
I got that part figured out but I still can't get it running right. I think I'm going to give in and take it to the local Stihl dealer and let him set it for me.

Oh, got another one too. You know how it's easy to pop a wheelie on a Bobcat? Well, I thought it would be cool to really get it up there so I stopped with the back tires on the edge of a little ditch and yanked back then shoved the handles forward. It did really get up there, right on the rear of the skid steer, all I saw was sky. Luckily it didn't roll over on its side.

Was working this summer, we get a fire call about 20 min outside of Grand Marais, sweet! We get there and it turned out be a white pine that got hit by lightning, duff was burned out around the tree with some smoldering going on inside the tree. Well, this tree has to come down, no prob. After sizing up the tree, I grab the 046 and give it a pull, nothing. Think to myself, damn that's way to easy to pull, even the decompression doesn't make it that easy. Try again, nothing. Take the air filter cover off and don't see a spark plug. Sweet! Turns out I forgot to install a new spark plug after taking the old one out. Grab a new plug out of my line gear, saw works fine now. I'm retarded some days i swear.

Back in the day when all I had was an XL-12 I spent 20 minutes cranking on it with no start. I finally got tired of that and decided to check the spark plug. Somehow it had backed nearly all the way out.

Tightened the plug and it was back to cutting wood.

I can relate to that. Back in the sixties my brother and I had a couple old motorcycles that we used to ride trails in the woods. One sunday we road a couple miles up a country road and decided to cut through the woods (2 miles) to another country road. About half way through my cycle quit., would not hit at all. This was July in the south (say Hot). We were in a large bottom and it was up hill to either road. Well I finally pushed it out to the road and we stopped at a hous to get a drink. After we rested for a few minutes my brother said he was going to go get a P/U to haul it back. I told him to let me check one more time. I checked the plug and it was loose. Tightened it and it cranked with one kick.

I was getting ready to weed whack on a busy main highway. The Stihl trimmer I have takes a special starting procedure to start so I start it behind the truck where I don't look like a complete fool getting this thing started. Started fairly easy I shut it off and walk to the road. Hearing protection on I began to pull the starter rope, and pull and pull and pull.

Set it down when the neighbors started looking out the windows and did something else for a moment. Then back to pulling. Tried choking it, tried holding the trigger down and starting nothing.....Neighbors back to looking off to the truck I go.

At the truck I clean the air filter, check the plug, and pull it several hundred more times.....won't even fire! Now i have a blister between my fingers where the pull handle has been rubbing for the last thousand pulls. I am slightly upset to the point I give it a chuck off into the truck and walk away.

I come back a half hour later when all the eye balls from the other windows aren't looking and begin pulling again. Won't fire....can't figure it out. As I removed my glove as the blister had now rubbed off and was bleeding I notice the kill switch had never been switched to ON!!!!!

Was it a Remington 700? . Sorry Remington owners I couldnt resist.

Nope, I have a Remington 700 chambered in .300 wthby but this was a .270 caliber ATR 100 (Mossberg)

The primary problem wasn't with the rifle, it was with:
A. bad cartridge
B. Retarded operator.

Nope, I have a Remington 700 chambered in .300 wthby but this was a .270 caliber ATR 100 (Mossberg)

The primary problem wasn't with the rifle, it was with:
A. bad cartridge
B. Retarded operator.

What was wrong with the cartridge? Did it go off when the firing pin hit it :D

I set an old BSA .22LR off in the house once. It had a dodgey extractor so I'd been filing away trying to retro fit another one and metal filings had got into the bolt. I closed the bolt and didn't realise the firing pin had somehow gotten stuck in the out position from all the metal filings that had worked their way into it - I slammed the bolt shut and BANG! It was pointing at a chest of drawers and left a neat hole. Also left a good bruise on the palm of my hand where the bolt tried to back out from the pressure.
The old man kicked my arse as I was only 14 at the time...

I watch a mate who just plinked a bunny many years ago walk up and using the rifle butt mash its head while holding the barrel. Dam rifle was a semi auto (back then) so it was loaded and set and hes bangin the butt on a bunny barrel pointin at his chest.

My criticism was not well received, an angry man is one who knows hes wrong.

Ok few years back on my forty clearing out deer runs with my tractor. Trying to get things done on weekends bushhogging stuff too large really 5" and having no cab or rops I got wacked in the right side of my head and then right knee as it glanced off my hard head. I hobbled home to see if I was going to die told the wife what happened then back out and got the left side same way hobbled home told wife if I don't come back in a few hours to check on me. I was ultra careful and did not get a slapper but saw a small tall dead snag and decided I would just push it top snaps lands on top of my head lol I was sore a couple days!

Ok few years back on my forty clearing out deer runs with my tractor. Trying to get things done on weekends bushhogging stuff too large really 5" and having no cab or rops I got wacked in the right side of my head and then right knee as it glanced off my hard head. I hobbled home to see if I was going to die told the wife what happened then back out and got the left side same way hobbled home told wife if I don't come back in a few hours to check on me. I was ultra careful and did not get a slapper but saw a small tall dead snag and decided I would just push it top snaps lands on top of my head lol I was sore a couple days!

Some days it pays to quit while you're behind, and move on to another task.
CJ

Dad gave me his trusty old Mac 10-10 and after using it awhile, I decide to change out the drive sprocket when installing a new chain. I made up a holding tool to keep the clutch from spinning, grabbed an air wrench, and you can guess the rest.

#1:

Several years ago, I took the 920 out(I was younger then) to cut a pickup load of wood. Got to my uncles woods, but I had to go down a steep hill to get to the deadfall. I figured no problem since once I cut the wood, I would have the weight to climb back up the hill(river blocked the other side). I run tires at about 25% tread, so I always count on weight to get me out when traction matters.

So.....I grab the saw and set the choke. First pull, the recoil spring breaks. I never pushed my old '89 chev 2500 ext cab 4x4 so hard as to get it back up the hill. I bet I spent an hour driving sideways on the hill(avoiding trees) trying to make it up. Oh, and it was December with a couple inches of snow on the ground.

#2:

I was 18 and took my girlfriend out to the big town(Grand Forks, ND). I had just had the alternator rebuilt and they removed and installed it. So, we get to Grand Forks, watch a movie and start for home. It is dark out, maybe 10 p.m., and we are in the more rural area of the 80 mile drive when I notice the lights getting dim. So, I pull over, pop the hood, and check out what is up. Right away, I see the problem: Someone forgot to plug the alternator in when installing it. I yell to the GF to shut off the car so I can plug in the alternator.......As soon as I said those words, I knew I done wrong, but she was quick. Couldn't start it back up, so we had to hitch a ride(this was 1988) back to town since I didn't have jumpers in the car. By the time I got a wrecker to give us a jump, we didn't get home until about 2 a.m.

#3:

I was 11 and though it would be fun to change the order of the plug wires on the distributor of a straight 6 cylinder chevy. My dad comes home and tries to start it and blows a head gasket. I am going to plead ignorance and youth on this one. Never admitted doing it to my dad until I was about 30.

Back