Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy Cow....halfway down page II again!!!!! You guys to full of turkey to type????? ZZZZZzzzzzlackerzzzzzzzzzzzz......and I meen it!!!!
Full of turkey. Fought with 365 handle and now waiting in line for the kiddo for an IPad Mini w/$100 gift card. He'll be pumped! Wanted an IPod Touch but the mini offers so much more.

Rick

My Dad was a natural at dropping trees. Course he was born in 1912, and being raised on a farm way out in Star, Oklahoma, the boys were right out there in the woods with the men felling trees of all manner. He's told of when he was a boy, how he'd walk home on winter nights from Keota several miles up the road, and how that cold, cold wind would blow right through the cracks in the walls of that ole farmhouse, and he'd stoke up the fireplace a little to get warm before crawling in that ole cold feather bed. They'd get up early, and get more firewood for the cookstove, cause grandma already had the stove warming up, and would need more before he went out to milk the cow, and draw some water out of the man made well for coffee and such. The outhouse was a little far out on a dark cold morning, and a corner of the barn was just as good a place as any as he passed by the corncrib to grab a handful of corncobs. So, felling trees was second hand to Dad as he grew into manhood. When he and Mom got married, having plenty of firewood was part of living. Late one night my sister was born on the kitchen table. Mom went into labor, and Dad ran out to the barn with his lantern and hitched up the mules to his wagon, and drove into Keota to fetch the doctor. After all the excitement, and the doctor had left, they took that little bundle, and laid her in the bed between them, and they all went to sleep. No hospital bills back then.
Happy Thanksgiving Folks

Same life my family lived, me to. We spent winters back in the lumber camp , summer out at the homestead, gardens, fishing, salting and drying fish for winter. Grandfather and grandmother stayed home and ran the farm year round, good healthy life. I was born in the woods, well in a backwoods camp, the snow was 22' deep in drifts at the edges of the lake where the dirt track wound along its length. We were snug in there with supplies laid in for the winter, plenty of firewood and easy to get fresh game to mix in with the dried and salted fare.

Same life my family lived, me to. We spent winters back in the lumber camp , summer out at the homestead, gardens, fishing, salting and drying fish for winter. Grandfather and grandmother stayed home and ran the farm year round, good healthy life. I was born in the woods, well in a backwoods camp, the snow was 22' deep in drifts at the edges of the lake where the dirt track wound along its length. We were snug in there with supplies laid in for the winter, plenty of firewood and easy to get fresh game to mix in with the dried and salted fare.

Yep; I guess lots of families went to the lumber camps with their men. My parents, and grandparents, some uncles and aunts all were snowed in one year logging up in the High Sierras in California in the winter of 1935-36. Supplies got cut off, and they ended up boiling the Mules Feed Corn and what venison they could shoot till the spring thaw came. Mom was carrying my older brother at the time. They said they had to boil that corn for hours on end to make it edible.

Yep; I guess lots of families went to the lumber camps with their men. My parents, and grandparents, some uncles and aunts all were snowed in one year logging up in the High Sierras in California in the winter of 1935-36. Supplies got cut off, and they ended up boiling the Mules Feed Corn and what venison they could shoot till the spring thaw came. Mom was carrying my older brother at the time. They said they had to boil that corn for hours on end to make it edible.
My mom was camp cook, dad and 3 of his brothers were cutters, we stopped when I reached 5 years old and started school. Dad started a full time job at the Dockyards and life changed slowly to where most food came from a store. We always cut every chance we got and did so til dad passed. I still cut quite often, every chance I get really. One winter we stayed in food almost ran out, deep snow had choked the only rutted track back to the camps. It took an International TD6 two full days to break its way in to us so that the 36 Ford 2.5 could deliver supplies to us. Good thing we didn`t have to eat the horses oats or hay.

Boat Bling...........gonna give this puppy a whirl first thing in the morning........hopefully hold that little motor back off the rev limiter.....good gps/plotter all remedied and working properly to show top speed....

Headed to the island with a trusty red saw got some spruce "Floaters" on the beach in front of the camp that need to be cut into small non lethal bits...so they don't do damage to the camp over the winter.....28-11-13 059.JPG 28-11-13 059.JPG 28-11-13 060.JPG 28-11-13 067.JPG

A bit more "Bling"...won't have time to install these this yr......part of the "Winter Project"......brandy new set of HD Bennett "Offshore Series" trim planes.....electric over hydrolic.....twin ram with auto retract... powder coated SS...wanted these puppies ever since I bought the boat 5 yrs ago......got that to do along with 5-6 complete restores and build from NOS parts red saws.....from mild to wild...or 49cc to 87cc.......unless I somehow get my greasy fingers on a buildable 111S.......just so happens I have a NOS piston and cyl in stock..................came to me as wedding present......overall.....2013 has been one of the finest years I've had in many, many years!!!!! Squatting in tall cotton I be...LOL!!!!28-11-13 065.JPG 28-11-13 062.JPG

Latest posts

Back