Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone say tires ?

20161212_070505.jpg

Worked in the shop today on the boat....changed the oil and filter......drained the drive yesterday and refilled today.....pulled all four wheels off the trailer, nevah-seized the crap out of the lugs and re-torqued all 20 lugs....greased all four bearing buddies........ready to tow home the next day the roads are dry, hose up and flush the engine and drive and drain and put in the boat shed for the winter. Thought I was behind schedule......but nope....right on time.....always write the date and engine hrs on the oil filter.............old filter said....12/17/15......114 hrs........new one says 12/17/16....146 hrs.......guess I better get ovah board soonah next year!!!! Not a lot of time on the old girl this past year....plus side.....always got damn good oil in it!!! At $40.00 'Merican a gal it otta be good oil......pains me to toss it with so few hrs on it.....'spose to go a hundred hrs....oh well.....it's only oil/money......LOL!!

My earliest diesel mechanic ,friend of the family, didn`t approve or believe in changing oil as such, he would drain one quart of oil every 4 months, install a new filter and replace the one quart with new oil. Did this in every machine he owned and every engine he owned made high hours or high mileage. His cars were always fords with v8, early ones were 352, then 302 AND 351W . Most made well over 350,000 before he let them go.
Me, I do the 3,000 mi or 5,000 km thing, my boats rarely sees 20 hr a year but gets changed seasonally.

My earliest diesel mechanic ,friend of the family, didn`t approve or believe in changing oil as such, he would drain one quart of oil every 4 months, install a new filter and replace the one quart with new oil. Did this in every machine he owned and every engine he owned made high hours or high mileage. His cars were always fords with v8, early ones were 352, then 302 AND 351W . Most made well over 350,000 before he let them go.
Me, I do the 3,000 mi or 5,000 km thing, my boats rarely sees 20 hr a year but gets changed seasonally.

Well ya know I read a report by a 'Nadian oil scientist a few years back and that was basically what he said.......we change oil way to often......by replacing a quart with a new quart you replenish the additives in the oil......these are detergents, anti rust additives etc.......the actual lube oil was good for many many miles...the filter needs changing way more than the oil...

Yep, pretty much what Tom always said, never changed his mind and took it with him when they lowered him 6' below. He walked the talk and proved it with all his own gear. He kept my diesels running perfect im my early years. He worked for the Halifax Naval Dockyards all the years I knew him til retirement.

Yep, pretty much what Tom always said, never changed his mind and took it with him when they lowered him 6' below. He walked the talk and proved it with all his own gear. He kept my diesels running perfect im my early years. He worked for the Halifax Naval Dockyards all the years I knew him til retirement.
Yep....well as they say......the proof is in the pudding.......trick is to know when to change the filter and pull a quart out and put a new quart in........to simplify we change it all out at 3-4000 miles.........

Speaking along the same line.......the 1000 footer I worked on in the lakes never got it's oil changed.....it had a mini refinery between the main Colt-Pielstick diesels....oil was rebuilt constantly using centrifuges and extremely fine metal mesh filters.......If I remember right these filters cost $3,500.00 each and there were four of those and six centrifuges....two filters and three centrifuges for each engine......oil was kept circulating and at optimum temp all the time whether the engines were running or not.

Keep it clean, replenish the additives and detergent, keep it circulating, oil is oil forever just needs to be clean. Carbon and fine metal become abrasive when mixed with oil so need to filter it out. Many old mills I have been around had barrels of used oil self filtering through a few lengths of sisal or hemp rope between two barrels, dirty oil a couple feet higher than the cleaner oil below.

Went to bed real early last night....woke up late this morning.....even with the most excellent Jonsereds cut woods I had to coax both stoves back from the dark.....they had just enough twinkles in them to be revived.....all good now.....letting the smoke out of a couple arm loads of ash....and the coffee's perking away on the cook stove......all is right in the world...woot!!:clap::happy::rock:

Back