Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cantdog
You must be confused, he said Toyota, not GM as in Chevrolet and GMC...LOL
Migt just be Dan`s accent though....LOL
You've not heard of Toyoater's recall on truck frames???? 'Nadian Peeet has the most beat Tundra you ever saw.....with a shiny new frame!!

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
You've not heard of Toyoater's recall on truck frames???? 'Nadian Peeet has the most beat Tundra you ever saw.....with a shiny new frame!!
Yep, the older ones had a problem with the back /rear frame rusting out, bad design with an open channel facing up , open to catch and hold mud, water and salt. After 06 they redesigned the rear frame, voila, no rust out after.

Cantdog
How long they supposed to last? Been 9 - 10 years since redesign, no reports of rust out but all the GM trucks I see up here are rusted bad by 5 years, nearly gone by 7 - 8 years.

Dunno.......got 10 years on the Cheby.......only had to replace 1/3 of the frame so far.....LOL!!! Around here about the same as with you.......the 1/2 tons are built very light...the 3/4 ton's frames seem to last way better.....just more metal...takes longer to go away.....but they all go away eventually no matter the brand....winter roads are like going to a saltwater car wash...maybe worse.

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Kind of depends on the amount and frequency of exposure the vehicles are experiencing, sometimes just sitting around on a damp surface takes them out sooner and some with high hours like commercial vehicles go sooner. The ones I had a bit of experience with was food vending trucks, we call them ,snack pac trucks. They are out there every day year round and every one of them take a lot of wear n tear but the rear frame is what goes and ends their life span. My brother and I junked 5 of them in one year, all were 1 Ton Ford and Gm trucks, cab and forward parts of the trucks fared much better than the rear frames.

Cantdog
Kind of depends on the amount and frequency of exposure the vehicles are experiencing, sometimes just sitting around on a damp surface takes them out sooner and some with high hours like commercial vehicles go sooner. The ones I had a bit of experience with was food vending trucks, we call them ,snack pac trucks. They are out there every day year round and every one of them take a lot of wear n tear but the rear frame is what goes and ends their life span. My brother and I junked 5 of them in one year, all were 1 Ton Ford and Gm trucks, cab and forward parts of the trucks fared much better than the rear frames.

Were those real 1 tons or the dually 1 ton pickups? The dually type are designed for hauling a fifth wheel trailer...not much else and are not hardly heavier than a half ton frame wise......the regular 1 ton like with a 12 platform body are designed to carry a load and not fail when dumping and are much heavier framed so last longer but still the salt/dampness will take it's toll. But like you said...depends on the life it had. Case in point...my 1990 Super Duty F450, 7.3L 5 spd pto 14' rack body dump.....had 50,000 original miles......awesome running/driving truck....real heavy duty......had to replace all the dump body cross members along with a lot of other stuffs......the street 90 on the bottom of the ram was rusted clear off......once I got that repaired...twisted the hinge pins right out of the frame as soon as the body went up...truck was ten years old. Found the story was the old guy who ordered it new to deliver two honest/legal cord of thrown in firewood, put a sander on it and sanded parking lots after all the wood delivering was done for the season. He had a stroke in the middle of the winter but thought he would get back to normal but that wasn't in the cards.......truck sat with the sander half full of saltsand for the remainder of that winter and all the next summer with tall grass growing up all around/beneath it......what a waste....

Cantdog
Page 2 Eluxovarna own a football franchise ? Bump !

Mighty Mouse Logging LLC

Dunno..........butt.........I wore my "Mighty Mouse" tee shirt to the party and our team pulled a win out of their azzis in the only..... EVAH...... Super Bowl Overtime Game .......and I mean really.....

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Were those real 1 tons or the dually 1 ton pickups? The dually type are designed for hauling a fifth wheel trailer...not much else and are not hardly heavier than a half ton frame wise......the regular 1 ton like with a 12 platform body are designed to carry a load and not fail when dumping and are much heavier framed so last longer but still the salt/dampness will take it's toll. But like you said...depends on the life it had. Case in point...my 1990 Super Duty F450, 7.3L 5 spd pto 14' rack body dump.....had 50,000 original miles......awesome running/driving truck....real heavy duty......had to replace all the dump body cross members along with a lot of other stuffs......the street 90 on the bottom of the ram was rusted clear off......once I got that repaired...twisted the hinge pins right out of the frame as soon as the body went up...truck was ten years old. Found the story was the old guy who ordered it new to deliver two honest/legal cord of thrown in firewood, put a sander on it and sanded parking lots after all the wood delivering was done for the season. He had a stroke in the middle of the winter but thought he would get back to normal but that wasn't in the cards.......truck sat with the sander half full of saltsand for the remainder of that winter and all the next summer with tall grass growing up all around/beneath it......what a waste....

They were the real one ton`s sold off the lots as a cab n chassis deal, then a stainless steel food vending body attached. Guess they would have water and steam aboard that likely leaked and or spilled from time to time but on the road almost every day in all sorts of weather.

Cantdog
They were the real one ton`s sold off the lots as a cab n chassis deal, then a stainless steel food vending body attached. Guess they would have water and steam aboard that likely leaked and or spilled from time to time but on the road almost every day in all sorts of weather.

Yeah...that would definitely take a toll. One thing I observed when doing the frame on my half ton is that with these later CM trucks the frame is quite beefy as far back as the rear axel but from there aft the frame rails themselves are very thin and lightly built.....the "Crumple Zone".......doesn't help with the longevity of these trucks. I assume that type of build is pretty standard through the various makes of trucks.

Latest posts