Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meh.........hit a snag on the miserable device today..... That nice cast alum valve cover, that came off the original motor, that I shined all up and painted.......is a complete fail......somehow I failed to notice that on the distributer side of the head, on 77 motor is rather different than the same side on the 85 motor.....I was mad....then I felt stupid.....then mad again. Anyway...not a biggie....got the 77 valve cover and new gasket. Degreased that inside and out and sanded the outside....ready for primer an paint now.....but have to get more paint in the morning. I'll know way more about these miserable things before I'm done than I ever wanted to know, I'm sure. I discovered this whilst putting the 85 motor back together with the left over 77 parts.....figgered everything would be better bolted up in one piece rather than a pile of parts..........then.......just after I found this tidbit out I was putting the auto trans flywheel damper plate on......oooooooo....the holes don't line up!!! But after a bit I found the only correct orientation for the flywheel/crankshaft.......had a serious pucker going on there for a couple minutes......geeeehawdamn miserable devices!!!! All that said....this was supposed to be a simple build....simple as in easy to source parts....uncomplicated ign and carburetion .......well the cast cover took a special gasket.......the stock cover is readily available.....so.....all good.....just irritating.....

Meh.........hit a snag on the miserable device today..... That nice cast alum valve cover, that came off the original motor, that I shined all up and painted.......is a complete fail......somehow I failed to notice that on the distributer side of the head, on 77 motor is rather different than the same side on the 85 motor.....I was mad....then I felt stupid.....then mad again. Anyway...not a biggie....got the 77 valve cover and new gasket. Degreased that inside and out and sanded the outside....ready for primer an paint now.....but have to get more paint in the morning. I'll know way more about these miserable things before I'm done than I ever wanted to know, I'm sure. I discovered this whilst putting the 85 motor back together with the left over 77 parts.....figgered everything would be better bolted up in one piece rather than a pile of parts..........then.......just after I found this tidbit out I was putting the auto trans flywheel damper plate on......oooooooo....the holes don't line up!!! But after a bit I found the only correct orientation for the flywheel/crankshaft.......had a serious pucker going on there for a couple minutes......geeeehawdamn miserable devices!!!! All that said....this was supposed to be a simple build....simple as in easy to source parts....uncomplicated ign and carburetion .......well the cast cover took a special gasket.......the stock cover is readily available.....so.....all good.....just irritating.....

Its a FORD !! I tells ya...LOL

I'll never be able to cross the Maine border again for fear I'm delivering another motor......

Finished up the 026 yesterday afternoon,put a spare carb on it as I am out of rebuild kits for the 194`s, two pulls fired on choke,choke off and next pull was running,no need to set the tune,carb was right on including the idle speed. This saw is too nice for me to use so it will find a new home.

Good progress on the miserable device today. These are pics from yesterday......changed out the valve cover, moved the engine from the motor stand to a hoss with the bridge crane, installed the flywheel, pilot bearing and clutch.......gotta say......sometimes new stuff is better than old.....I mean new methods are better than previously available....a lot of new clutch kits come with a plastic line up tool......it wasn't always that way!!! Anywho...after getting everything ready yesterday.......I installed the new motor in the miserable device first thing this morning with little grief......things lined up pretty good from the get-go......just had to turn the crank a few degrees and she slipped right together.....sorry...had to catch Happy Hour at the Castle so didn't get any pics today....

Jeep 001.JPG Jeep 002.JPG Jeep 004.JPG Jeep 005.JPG Jeep 006.JPG

That miserable device will be like a young hoss with a belly full of oats!....LOL

It should be quite an improvement......if I remember right the previous owner told me he 'tarded the timing a few degrees to take some stress off the really beat rod bearings......started good, but she was pretty flat..powerwise.....but she was some wore out......I never asked much from her.....not wanting to walk home. According to the 'structions that came with the HEI.....the best results are had from setting the timing between 8 and 10 degrees advanced with the vac plugged.......OEM calls for 5 degrees ahead......Comp Cams says this slightly higher lift, with more duration cam is ground a few degrees of valve timing ahead of stock as well........so.....she certainly seemed late before...be interesting to see how it runs...can't hardly help but be way better......I hope...LOL!!

Latest posts

Back