Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So after much fairing, paring, shiming and flattening I got to the shingle stage......hard to believe it took nearly two weeks to get it done. Had three rain days but kept busy pulling down the old kitchen head cabinets, removing the beat sheetrock, adding studs (as my dear old Unc framed to the scale of "whatevah" on center), insulating, boarding the interior walls behind and squaring up the head cabinets and rehanging them. A lot of work for one man. The bride was gonna help but spent most of her tyme prepping and cooking a Thanksgiving Feast that couldn't be beat......14 lb bird with all the fixings....way more than we needed or could consume but I gave it a good shot with seconds on everything including fresh punkin' pie with piles of fresh whipped cream......then promptly fell asleep....!!! LOL!!

Not a pretty structure.....basic, stark, no-frills design.....would fit in perfectly in any of the outports of Newfoundland....but is of way more value for where it is rather than what it is. Way nicer to look out from rather than at.

The job did exactly what I wanted it to do....the "living room" was always real hard to heat.....when the wind blew westerly it blew right through the wall and the windows....now it's tight and snug.....nice and warm like the other two rooms. One more end to do next fall...really needs it too...surprised the widow in that wall didn't end up on the beach when I had the other west side windows out, blowing as hard as it did. It will get replaced with another large window just like the other kitchen window and new cedars too.:drinkingcoffee:

DSC_1305.JPG DSC_1307.JPG DSC_1309.JPG DSC_1311.JPG DSC_1312.JPG

Rain day......shop day.....been replacing a dormer on a gambrel barn this week.....huge spruce came down on it in that first big blow we had last month.....snapped dormer rafters and snapped main rafters too....ripped holes/gashes in the plywood.....entire box trim torn off and dashed to the ground 35 feet below.

Rain day......shop day.....been replacing a dormer on a gambrel barn this week.....huge spruce came down on it in that first big blow we had last month.....snapped dormer rafters and snapped main rafters too....ripped holes/gashes in the plywood.....entire box trim torn off and dashed to the ground 35 feet below.
Sounds like a real mess .

Like in my world many times.

A ton of setup and the work is almost easier.

Like in my world many times.

A ton of setup and the work is almost easier.
I guess I spoke to soon this morning......Dave call moments after the post and wanted to getr 'er done so went down to the job site, the sky cleared and ended up being a very productive day ovahall......

I guess I spoke to soon this morning......Dave call moments after the post and wanted to getr 'er done so went down to the job site, the sky cleared and ended up being a very productive day ovahall......
In a new setup with angles on a mill......you can set up for 2 hours and be done cutting in five minutes.

In a new setup with angles on a mill......you can set up for 2 hours and be done cutting in five minutes.

Yep a lot of stuff like that.....that's why I have three spindle shapers...when building panel doors, say multiples like kitchen cabinet doors it take three cuttters....one for the cope, one for the rail and one for the raised panel. If you only have one shaper you would have three distinctly different setups....make your runs....change up to the next setup and so on. However if something fails like dropping a machined piece and damaging it you have to TRY and get the machine set up again to same EXACT setting to make one or two more pieces....very time consuming...I generally make extras for each run but on custom cabinets the doors are never standardized size wise so by having three machines allows me to get set up and leave things set up until the job is over....kind of an investment but sure makes work easier in the long run.

The bride and I split wood all day yesterday....went out and listened to some good tunes and had supper at The Castle last night...Had Hoss's landlady and my friend John over for brunch today...mmmmmm....lotsa good grub......watched the football game all afternoon......very much the slackers we were today.....Go Pats!!!!!

Trip up and back from the lake went well today, very nice day up there, almost no wind and quite mild day in the plus 6C range. Got the floating dock pulled in and ready for winter freeze up. Only saw that got used was a handsaw Dan used to cut off a 2 X 3 for a temp handrail.

Done on Dave's barn repair job today....had to reshingle 1/4 of the main gambrel and one side of the dormer that got destroyed...new dormer rafters and two main rafters sistered up.....new box trim...sidewall cedar shingles on the dormer.......was a big old spruce.....don't know why people insist on having large feeble trees within striking distance of their homes...

Rain coming in.....hurry it through ovahnight....it's headed for Jerry and Danny.....warm though....but that's gonna change after it clears.....
Sposed to pass through quickly, be gone by 3 pm tomorrow and then temp drop rapidly to below freezing by dark, snow flurries to follow as the rain heads for Newfoundland.

Back