Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this in the front of the ancient boat house where we were renting last weekend. Wonder what the pig is rated for...
e36a5ff10a39d02477da1a56affd351d.jpg
5f378eee59c8f725cf1349afcd3a4cdd.jpg
42e25dcff327c5589b4ce47817b32970.jpg

Had to go down the Harborside (Cape Rosier, Brooksville, Me) yesterday to fit the custom screens I built to screen in an 8 foot by 9 foot garage door.....went fairly well but the jambs were allover the place....knew that going in so I built to the largest dimensions. I mentioned this place earlier.....these poor folks are forced to live in their garage while the rest of the place is built. I feel bad for them......we're also working on two other properties they own nearby......check out the stone work!!.....It's only partially completed......IMG_0290.jpg IMG_0279.jpg IMG_0276.jpg IMG_0275.jpg

Could cut those toothpicks with a handsaw, Husky be a second choice....LOL
That close fittin stone work wasn`t done in one day, very fine fitment there.

Most 50-60 foot tall spruce......grew up all together and grew tall......I 'spect what they left will all blow ovah within a year or two now they have no protection....then you could use a Stihl to do clean up....I guess...

Yep a local company called "Freshwater Stone" does that work....they made their name doing that kinda fitment using smooth pink granite beach stones that they said were from freshwater washes.......pfffft.....we had them build a fire place/wall back in '85.....it was 26 foot wide and 20 foot tall with a builtin stone wood box that was 3 foot tall. 2 foot deep and 4 foot wide and a 4 foot wide Rumford style firebox all out of beach rocks brought in from Islesboro....same joinery though.....couldn't fit a pencil between them...no mortar showing.....two guys working 8 hrs might one or perhaps two stones in a day..... Work like this is prefabbed in their shop these days but still way impressive non-the-less!!!!

Most 50-60 foot tall spruce......grew up all together and grew tall......I 'spect what they left will all blow ovah within a year or two now they have no protection....then you could use a Stihl to do clean up....I guess...

Yep a local company called "Freshwater Stone" does that work....they made their name doing that kinda fitment using smooth pink granite beach stones that they said were from freshwater washes.......pfffft.....we had them build a fire place/wall back in '85.....it was 26 foot wide and 20 foot tall with a builtin stone wood box that was 3 foot tall. 2 foot deep and 4 foot wide and a 4 foot wide Rumford style firebox all out of beach rocks brought in from Islesboro....same joinery though.....couldn't fit a pencil between them...no mortar showing.....two guys working 8 hrs might one or perhaps two stones in a day..... Work like this is prefabbed in their shop these days but still way impressive non-the-less!!!!

Plenty of air chisel work if done like one of the stone masons I know of, real time consuming making templates, scribeing and chiseling to fit.

Plenty of air chisel work if done like one of the stone masons I know of, real time consuming making templates, scribeing and chiseling to fit.
Likely air chisels used at the shop but all onsite work still done with striking hammers and chisels by hand for the final fit. They do a lot of very high end jobs like this one plus all sorts of kitchen/bath counters and such. A guy who I worked with for years doing carpentry hurt his back on a carpentry job and was laid up for a while and couldn't work. When he got better he shut down his business and went to work for them doing most all their most important counter patterning and installations. I was talking to him one day and said "Let me get this straight.....you hurt yourself doing carpentry and realized you were getting older and perhaps you could not continue in this business so you quit and went to lug rocks for a living instead...right?" He laffed and said "Yep"....Dave was never one to use more words than necessary...LOL!!

That is a pic of a support brace for a second story post and beam master bedroom balcony. Dave ( A different Dave) and I built it in the shop and installed it...then they did the stone work around them. The back side of the brace shown in the pic with the two large holes sat flush onYoungs Deck Frame 008.jpg Youngs Deck Frame 007.jpg Youngs Deck Frame 006.jpg Youngs Deck Frame 005.jpg Youngs Deck Frame 004.jpg the cement foundation wall...the big turned dowel was cut into 6" pieces that fit snugly in the brace and 2 1/2" holes were rotobroached into the concrete then epoxied in place to hold thing together until they got the stone support installed!!

Found some pics of that installed too and some of the other stone work in that home. Dave and I also did all the over hand and knee work.......soffit was 5 foot wide.....

BH2_001_1.jpg
large overhangs like that are great,they keep the sun out in the summer yet allow it to come in the windows in the winter for natural temp control.

large overhangs like that are great,they keep the sun out in the summer yet allow it to come in the windows in the winter for natural temp control.
Sure does and also adds a great amount of protection to the rest of the building from rain etc.....

Latest posts

Back