Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fight? Ok?

How many of you keep a music roll of toilet paper in the glove box in the truck. When Mother Nature calls I’m not taking any chances with leaves,,,,,,lol

The big metal sealed container first aid kit is under the seat.

Fight? Ok?

How many of you keep a music roll of toilet paper in the glove box in the truck. When Mother Nature calls I’m not taking any chances with leaves,,,,,,lol

The big metal sealed container first aid kit is under the seat.
Meh..........the best emergency material evah to keep on hand whilst cutting in the deep woods......is kotex......and duct tape....maybe a cell phone these daze

Yep.....tuff spot to call home for rooted things.....as you can see they are growing on bare azzed ledge......what dirt there is is just broken rocks....they been there a long, long time. Just up over "The Mountain" as the family always called it, right up behind where the long gone homestead used to be. They look like trees you might see at high elevations but right there is probably not over 200 feet above sea level.......

Yep.....tuff spot to call home for rooted things.....as you can see they are growing on bare azzed ledge......what dirt there is is just broken rocks....they been there a long, long time. Just up over "The Mountain" as the family always called it, right up behind where the long gone homestead used to be. They look like trees you might see at high elevations but right there is probably not over 200 feet above sea level.......

Open to the prevailing winds?

I cover territory like that in back of mt there is high and long granite ridges.

Open to the prevailing winds?
Oh yeah.....the island is somewhat rectangular and is oriented just about due north and south with a spine of 7 mountains running down the center with the exception of Wentworth Mountain and Duck Mountain which the two southern most and more favor the west side of the island. This place is facing west and is partway up south slope Wentworth Mountain. In the last pic with Eva sitting under the tree I am facing about due west and what you see in the background is ocean and sky. The ocean being perhaps a quarter mile away.

Here's another pic looking due south from the same place more or less......what looks like a valley between me and Duck Mountain is actually Duck Harbor. You can't see the summit of Duck mountain because what looks like the top is simply a high, wide bluff blocking the view of the summit. Most any place up high on this island is pretty sparse and very wind blown....

IMG_0357.jpg

Sparse soil, salt air and wind exposure will do it every time. Limited moisture held in that rock rubble.

Yes it's surprising trees can even cling there and survive.....I believe those pines are very old.

These life forms are better adapted to life there!!!! They like it in the shade of the pines and probably get some nutrients from the fallen, decaying needles..

IMG_0371.jpg IMG_0369.jpg

Hydraulic man is a good friend!!!! Gonna be a nice shed Jerry!!
Hydraulic man has been a great asset for me up there, may not look like much but it sure has been useful.
It will hold all the junk now stored inside the camp, need the space to be able to complete inside renovations. Was thinking I should put a roll up door on the shed, there is a 5' X 6' roll up made for sheds.

The hike we took the other day had a destination. The trail we were on is the park trail to town......and it crosses the road about half way to town.....from that intersection the trail goes to Eli's Creek and crosses Wentworth Brook fairly early after you cross the road. My great, great grandfather bought the property from Duck harbor to Sharks Point Beach in 1835......there it abutted the Wentworth property which was considerable I assume as the mountain was named for them. There is an island legend about a young girl Named Betty Wentworth that drowned in the brook there......she was buried in the family's yard. I am not sure of the year but it was before 1850. I guess the sadness drove the family away from the island...she was young...like 10 or so. Anyway my father always talked of finding the grave and we did 40 odd years ago......me, my father and my niece. The bride and I tried a few years back to find it again without success. I was asked last year by the oldest native islander living today if I knew where it was........I said yes....he said good...very few even know of it these days.
Sunday we trekked through the woods looking.....well that bugged me that I knew the story and had been there, I could not actually take anyone there. The brook is named after the girl...The Betty Wentworth Brook....comes down off Wentworth Mountain and emties into Deep Cove...a rather sheltered tiny cove. After searching without luck closer to Eli's Creek I went to Deep cove and sat for a spell and thought while the dogs rested and the bride beach combed. I envisioned the place as it would have been back then. It was just grass and ledge then ..no trees. Now it is all grown up in spruce.....some big and some thicket type stuff. So we left the trail and followed the brook inland. What seemed like a terrible place to settle with steep, stony sides began to look actually awesome. The brook was rather narrow but the erosion patterns were stunning......inland a few hundred feet the ravine opened up and though still steep about halfway up was a plateau on either side of the gulch....an ancient flat stream bed cut down the middle by the brook. The flat was perhaps 100 feet wide on each side. This was what I remembered so I searched the north side all the way to where the park trial crossed the brook. The bride was done but I knew we were not to far from the road so I said go ahead up the trail and wait for me at the road. I continued along the flat edge.......about two hundred feet in I came on the ancient yard with house and barn stone foundation and stone wall to keep the oxen and cows in.......and sure enough right there in the yard was the stone marker I was looking for......right on the edge of the steep bank going down to the brook where she drowned was her final resting place. A rough, natural nearly square stone perhaps 6 inches square buried upright in the ground like a small obelisk .....the top sheared away clean at a rather steep angle as I remembered.
It must have been a wonderful place to live in those days as the site was protected by the deep ravine on the north and south sides and without the trees you would have seen the ocean to the west.....small protected cove and an ox cart trail up to the homestead.....flat land that actually had dirt to dig in without the usual amount of rocks....to bad my great great grandfather's neighbors didn't survive ....would have been awesome to still have neighbors who been there as long as we have.

The hike we took the other day had a destination. The trail we were on is the park trail to town......and it crosses the road about half way to town.....from that intersection the trail goes to Eli's Creek and crosses Wentworth Brook fairly early after you cross the road. My great, great grandfather bought the property from Duck harbor to Sharks Point Beach in 1835......there it abutted the Wentworth property which was considerable I assume as the mountain was named for them. There is an island legend about a young girl Named Betty Wentworth that drowned in the brook there......she was buried in the family's yard. I am not sure of the year but it was before 1850. I guess the sadness drove the family away from the island...she was young...like 10 or so. Anyway my father always talked of finding the grave and we did 40 odd years ago......me, my father and my niece. The bride and I tried a few years back to find it again without success. I was asked last year by the oldest native islander living today if I knew where it was........I said yes....he said good...very few even know of it these days.
Sunday we trekked through the woods looking.....well that bugged me that I knew the story and had been there, I could not actually take anyone there. The brook is named after the girl...The Betty Wentworth Brook....comes down off Wentworth Mountain and emties into Deep Cove...a rather sheltered tiny cove. After searching without luck closer to Eli's Creek I went to Deep cove and sat for a spell and thought while the dogs rested and the bride beach combed. I envisioned the place as it would have been back then. It was just grass and ledge then ..no trees. Now it is all grown up in spruce.....some big and some thicket type stuff. So we left the trail and followed the brook inland. What seemed like a terrible place to settle with steep, stony sides began to look actually awesome. The brook was rather narrow but the erosion patterns were stunning......inland a few hundred feet the ravine opened up and though still steep about halfway up was a plateau on either side of the gulch....an ancient flat stream bed cut down the middle by the brook. The flat was perhaps 100 feet wide on each side. This was what I remembered so I searched the north side all the way to where the park trial crossed the brook. The bride was done but I knew we were not to far from the road so I said go ahead up the trail and wait for me at the road. I continued along the flat edge.......about two hundred feet in I came on the ancient yard with house and barn stone foundation and stone wall to keep the oxen and cows in.......and sure enough right there in the yard was the stone marker I was looking for......right on the edge of the steep bank going down to the brook where she drowned was her final resting place. A rough, natural nearly square stone perhaps 6 inches square buried upright in the ground like a small obelisk .....the top sheared away clean at a rather steep angle as I remembered.
It must have been a wonderful place to live in those days as the site was protected by the deep ravine on the north and south sides and without the trees you would have seen the ocean to the west.....small protected cove and an ox cart trail up to the homestead.....flat land that actually had dirt to dig in without the usual amount of rocks....to bad my great great grandfather's neighbors didn't survive ....would have been awesome to still have neighbors who been there as long as we have.

What a great history and story Robin, they all say around the lake that I am the keeper of the lakes history now. I garnered it from the men that were in their late 90`s up to 104 years old when I was just 7 - 10 years old, those oldsters told me I have a very old spirit, I sat for hours and days having them relate what they knew about the lake and its history. It should really be written down now, by myself and a very few others that have a smidge of knowledge of the mostly forgotten history of that remote area. I can still find every old homestead, orchard, barn and even fruit trees that have been abandoned before the mid 1850`s. The old stagecoach and roadhouse, watering wells, trails and between lake sluice + rail tracks are all long grown over and gone. Many graves long lost as well.

Latest posts

Back