Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I run the 21 pitch it tops out just under its rev limit, with anything less than the 21 it will over rev very easy. The 21 is a SS Viper prop, smooth as silk compared to an aluminum prop but it takes another 50' or so to get up out of the hole. When the boat planes off and really gets under way it will easily gain 5 mph over the lesser pitched aluminum props and stay pegged at 500 rpm under red line. with just the two of us and our baggage for a weekend trip.
My spec is 4400 to 4800 with the ign limiter factory set at 4900. On the Seaway, with 55 gals of fuel, the bride, two dogs and supplies for a few days she runs out at 4600 on flat water and only picks up 100 or so rpm running light. I'm running a 14.8 X 21 SS Thunderbolt prop. The Thunderbolt is a cupped prop too. The real nice thing about SS props is they don't flatten under load like an aluminum one. Under a load they will lose nearly an inch or more of pitch due to this.

Viper props have long swept design more for speed than thrust,

0763312--mid--hires.jpg

evinrude-0763929--front--hires.jpg

https://www.crowleymarine.com/parts/12751.cfm

I might just put the 19 pitch on, SS Viper also, the engine can over rev a bit if the load is light so I just back the throttle off some and let er go, much smoother running props than the aluminum ones and yes the aluminum props do flatten out so I have been told by a few outboard racers I know. The 19 pitch seems about the best middle ground prop for my combination and if I am carrying a heavier load the boat can still climb out in a decent distance, with the 21 it takes a good bit further.

I might just put the 19 pitch on, SS Viper also, the engine can over rev a bit if the load is light so I just back the throttle off some and let er go, much smoother running props than the aluminum ones and yes the aluminum props do flatten out so I have been told by a few outboard racers I know. The 19 pitch seems about the best middle ground prop for my combination and if I am carrying a heavier load the boat can still climb out in a decent distance, with the 21 it takes a good bit further.
Yeah when I was propping up after the new motor install it took me quite a few tries to get it right, I had maybe a half dozen aluminum props and borrowed several more from friends to try. Thought I had it figgered out finally....went from a 15 square from the old motor....finally got up to what I thought good with a 15 X 19 aluminum...she was just hitting the limiter so I ordered the same size SS Thunderbolt thinking that without the flex of the alum prop it would hold 'er down. Fortunately I bought the new motor from a friend who is a Mercruiser dealer and was selling me everything at his cost. Got the shiny new prop and went for a ride...almost....running into the wind she wouldn't hit the limiter but running down wind she would hit it....brought the boat home and removed the prop with about 20 mins use and convinced Joe to return it as unused and get me the 21......washed it all up in the sink and put it gently back in the box...just like new!! Been very happy ever since with 14.8 X 21..

I was lucky also as I have 6 different pitch props for the OMC Cobra outdrives, 4 are aluminum and 2 are SS so I can swap around pitches and metal makes. I just left the new prop on the replacement outdrive and ran it but could feel it is not the one to run for long, use it as a break in one and then replace it, now convinced myself to run the 19 pitch, quite sure its a 14" dia but will have to look at it again, have some with 13 3/4" , 14", 14.5 .dia and pitches from 15, 17, 19 up to 21. They all go round n round but one will do betterer all around.

I only run in the ocean and there is always a lot of drifting seaweed that is everywhere. The only thing I am unhappy about with this prop is it only takes one strand of weed to be caught on the front of the lower unit and I get ventilation.....the exhaust note changes and if is a large enough the prop loses traction and the revs go up.....I have to come to a stop and back away for a few feet until it clears then continue on. This has always been a problem but this prop is much more sensitive to this.

Ya, harbors here are full of sea weeds and eel grass, an extra long /deep drive works best, a long shaft outboard on a standard transom , done that often and it keeps the prop down just below most floating deleterious matter. Otherwise its clear the prop over and over.

Ya, harbors here are full of sea weeds and eel grass, an extra long /deep drive works best, a long shaft outboard on a standard transom , done that often and it keeps the prop down just below most floating deleterious matter. Otherwise its clear the prop over and over.
Yep.....I don't have any options other than steer around the thickest of it.....this is unattached drifting weed...sometimes acres in size as it seems to always attract itself

Well now.....sanded out my first layer of gelcoat this morning.......whoa!!......Way to white!!! Guess my white boat is not actually white!! Had to jump on the fat white boy and blast down the coast in holiday traffic to the marine supply and get some pigment to add. Was not sure what colors to get so got a small tube of red and one of yellow.. Oh my!!! The red didn't cut it....tossed that batch and rigged up a second and used just a the tinyist touch of yellow.....not even hardly any...not even a drop. That one came out probably as close as I'm ever gonna get it so on it went. Won't know for sure until it set up and I sand on it some. Much closer that it was anyway. It's mostly covered by bottom paint and the gimbal housing....

View attachment 928057View attachment 928058
GREAT JOB ROBIN!! AS ALWAYS!

Took the weekend off from boat work. Had to mow the lawn for the final time, I hope, ferry the daughter and BF to and from a wedding 40 miles away as she was maid of honor. Then in a totally separate round trip we attended as well. Back at it today....getting close.....I hope.....nevah know until a good wet test!!

Don`t forget to install the nut on the prop., cotter pin to.
LOL!! good catch......no cotter pin...SS tab type keeper and nyloc nut too.. Be alright as is going forward...until I hit reverse!!! Waiting until I get the rams bled and when it's "trailered up" I 'll get the prop on then so I don't have to stand on muh haid doing it.....gotta grease the splines too....was just put on so I could hold it in head gear to make shift cable adjustments.

LOL!! good catch......no cotter pin...SS tab type keeper and nyloc nut too.. Be alright as is going forward...until I hit reverse!!! Waiting until I get the rams bled and when it's "trailered up" I 'll get the prop on then so I don't have to stand on muh haid doing it.....gotta grease the splines too....was just put on so I could hold it in head gear to make shift cable adjustments.
Was at the launch ramp just this past Friday, new guy to the lake going to need a diver. His boat had no reverse or forward. The guy before him launched without installing the bilge drain plug

Have to remember to put the plug in the transom too!! LOL....Last summer I put in down behind the firehouse one evening......as i was backing away from the float this fella on the shore was hopping up and down waving his arms and hollarin....'course I couldn't hear him so had shut the motor off and see what he was having a tyme about.........he's hollering "You didn't put the plug in!!!~"....I looked puzzeled and he yells "your bilge pump is on" I laffed and says "No that's my overboard cooling water discharge...not doing it now" He looked sheepish and said "Sorry" I said "NO problem thank you for caring"

Latest posts

Back