Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So......the last day I was in the woods my 61/268XP started giving me trouble starting. Not the motor starting but the cord would fetch up at the beginning of the pull and if I pulled it over past TDC and catch the next click she'd pull right over and start. It's pretty high compression so when starting you have to get ready. Anyway I got through the day and when I got back at the shop I took the recoil off and after a bit of troubleshooting found the center of the plastic pulley was broken away from the sides. Priced one out on partstree........!!!!! $44.00 and change plus shipping!!!! for OEM.........AM one be here tomorrow $8.75 and $6 shipping but I added a couple more small things to the order and stayed under the flat rate shipping fee. This will get me by but will have to keep my eye out for a good used OEM one.......I can't imagine the AM is superior to OEM.......Tyme will tell.....I miss the old aluminum pulleys.....

Wednesday and Thursday past I was running the FS550 cutting brush and alders from the sides of the track through the woods to the camp, I had cut from 9:30 am til 3:30pm and at that point was tiring so packed up and headed straight to camp, cutter worked flawless other than filling the tank with mix ever half hour or so. Next morning I changed the blade over from the tri point to a new circular saw pattern toothed blade and started off from the camp end cutting bigger stuff 1 1/2 -3" stems of all species of trees, after 2 fill ups. After the third fill upI gave the handle a pull and it caught short, about 8 -10 inches of cord out, engine almost started but faltered, next pull and there was no catch, several more and no catch from the recoil so I knew it was tear down time on the tailgate of the F350 dumper. Not so good when a piece of gear gets broke 14 miles in from the highway and 30 miles from home. Good ole Stihl in this case, I had a 026 chainsaw with me so the catch pawls are the same removed the broke pawl from the FS550 and replaced it with one from the 026, perfect back up and running, cut til 3:30 again then packed it in and headed for home. Got a bit more than 3 miles of road cleared of brush and alders, small trees n such, been growing in and road so narrowed up the truck mirrors been taking a beating. Got the tightest bits of road opened up but always more to be cut back, maybe another trip in later on. From now on there will be spare catch pawls in the tool kit. I most often replace the single catch pawl setup with a dual set, Stihl wants $15. a set but it is what it is, machines won`t start with out them. LOL

Flatlanders, meh.

782328-32ee50267da90da4fd4cdb932ac0efb5.data

There is a free Echo chainsaw on craiglist today.
Ran when parked. Only missing a cover.
It's only 314 miles away and, if I take the motorcycle, the fuel cost is $17 less than a new saw of the same model.
I looked on ebay, there is a Chynese cover for $16 delivered.
Still cheaper than new. What say ye?

Back