Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We tried last night but the traffic was to heavy with evacuees coming off the peninsular and the curious trying to get on. The cops were not letting you on unless you had serious business or lived there. We’re about 18-20 miles away as the crow flies now but we will be driving within 4-5 miles of it on the way to the airport on Monday. Saw smoke coming out of the ground there when we arrived in Iceland so if it’s still going then should be able to get closer pics.

We tried last night but the traffic was to heavy with evacuees coming off the peninsular and the curious trying to get on. The cops were not letting you on unless you had serious business or lived there. We’re about 18-20 miles away as the crow flies now but we will be driving within 4-5 miles of it on the way to the airport on Monday. Saw smoke coming out of the ground there when we arrived in Iceland so if it’s still going then should be able to get closer pics.
News stations are saying there was a big increase in eruptions overnight, seen some shots on the telly this morning, the eruptions look to be in a long solid line of quite some length.

News stations are saying there was a big increase in eruptions overnight, seen some shots on the telly this morning, the eruptions look to be in a long solid line of quite some length.
It seems to have clmed down bit since last night......the fissure is about 3.5 km long and was all ablaze last night but has divided into two today.......this is he main one I got it on live TV feed.

View attachment IMG_2561.MOV

It seems to have clmed down bit since last night......the fissure is about 3.5 km long and was all ablaze last night but has divided into two today.......this is he main one I got it on live TV feed.

View attachment 1162676
Doesn`t seem to be much ash or steam coming off like it does when a volcano/ mountain blows off.

Doesn`t seem to be much ash or steam coming off like it does when a volcano/ mountain blows off.
No it's quite a peaceful eruption that way. Just a big crack in the planet 3 miles long bubbling lava out mostly.....sometimes sending it a couple hundred feet in the air.....was like that in the beginning last night but has calmed down some today.....we'll see what it looks like after dark!! The danger is not the explosion but the creeping lava covering roads and setting houses and power poles ablaze etc.

No it's quite a peaceful eruption that way. Just a big crack in the planet 3 miles long bubbling lava out mostly.....sometimes sending it a couple hundred feet in the air.....was like that in the beginning last night but has calmed down some today.....we'll see what it looks like after dark!! The danger is not the explosion but the creeping lava covering roads and setting houses and power poles ablaze etc.
When the big ones blow there is so much ash and steam chucked up very high, the airlines won`t fly their planes through it as the dust is mostly volcanic glass and when it enters the engines it melts, then coats the innards with molten glass. Looks like these cracks erupting now does not toss enough stuff up to affect air travel.

That’s true… we’re flying out tomorrow afternoon and Keflavík Airport is real close to the action…everything on schedule presently. We just got back from in town Reykjavík and couldn’t see any sign of it in the night sky like last night….. it’s still pumping out lava but from a much smaller fissure

That’s true… we’re flying out tomorrow afternoon and Keflavík Airport is real close to the action…everything on schedule presently. We just got back from in town Reykjavík and couldn’t see any sign of it in the night sky like last night….. it’s still pumping out lava but from a much smaller fissure
Best of luck on your departure all reports seem to point to the quieting down scenario.

OK...I'm done...almost...
Coming down the west side it snowed most of the way so sightseeing was out......we needed to waste a couple hours in Reykjavik before we could check into our lodging.....so what do three 'Mericans do to waste tyme? Yep distillery tour and tasting......a tad heavy on the tasting, perhaps...:drinking:

IMG_2539.jpgIMG_2540.jpgIMG_2541.jpg

Anything tasty enough to bring back Robin ? LOL
LOL! Yes...the bride was in charge of purchasing....so I think we got a jug of rasberry infused gin, a jug of birch infused whiskey and another whiskey that the barley was smoked in sheep **** before the mash.....sounds gross but was actually really good....my one nod to Icelandic culture. I passed on the Puffin burgers, Hoss, 6 day fermented outdoor shark, pickled whale fin and raindeer burgers......

Latest posts

Back