Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 362 needed the airfilters, inner and outer and a sparkplug wire, it had been hacked inside the plug boot. I just made new blockoff plates for it tonight and will pull vac on it tomorrow. Piston and cylinder look great but I suspect the flywheel side seal may be leaking a bit, pulled the flywheel earlier and the seal looks strange, the lips are pushed outward. It will get whatever it needs as the work progresses.
You're the Man!!!

I got my first 026 around 8 years ago, a good friend bought it at a yard sale for $5. It was mostly torn down as far as the case but everything was there but the airfilter. I really don`t know and never figured out why it was torn down in the first place cause I found there was nothing wrong with it as it went back together. It ran fine for a couple of years but I figured I could get a little more out of it if I got to grinding on it, had little to lose if it did not work out. By then I had picked up 3 more 026`s for a total investment of $75. in all 4 of them so I figured what the heck, get to grinding and did so in steps. I have built 25 or more by now and they do really well as an all around saw for me and quite a few others. I run a 20" bar with .325 chain on my wood cutters and they pull that easily in the wood we cut, my bigger saws seldom come out now as a result of the 026 doing so well.
Even down here with all the oak we have I fin myself using "Mighty Mouse" most of the time. Even yesterday cutting locust used the 026! No problem!! Saw is amazing!!! With your masterful work I'd say it's just about perfect for what I generally cut for firewood here.

Got the 362 all cleaned up and put it back together, sure is a difficult saw to get a vac reading on with that silly twin intake rubber boot for the strato type of intake. Had to make up special plugs to insert in the boot so I could get a vac test on all the parts. Finally got everything air tight and it held vac for over 30 mins, figured that was good enough and put all the saw back together. Not the easiest saw I ever worked on, the intake being the worst part.

Going out to the wood lot today and finish getting ready for the North Idaho GTG. Well not really a gathering but Stihlaficionado is stopping by on his way to Portland to play with some of his ported saws, am interested in running his 361, I've never run a ported 361, should be fun, bringing his ported 661 too.

Going out to the wood lot today and finish getting ready for the North Idaho GTG. Well not really a gathering but Stihlaficionado is stopping by on his way to Portland to play with some of his ported saws, am interested in running his 361, I've never run a ported 361, should be fun, bringing his ported 661 too.
Sounds like fun!

Jerry, did the vac Guage move at all after 30 mins? I went off service manual specs of 20 secs of no movement. Pressure and vac. Wondering if I should do it again for a longer period of time?

That's awesome it's all done too your standards though. Hope it's a strong runner for ya

Still raining heavy, good to be inside where it dry.
Rained here only for a short time! Overcast for most of the day and cool East wind. But managed a nice load of dead standing white oak from over the power line. Strained my back too on that heavy stuff. Mighty Mouse was hummin' as usual! :rock:

Sounds like fun!

Jerry, did the vac Guage move at all after 30 mins? I went off service manual specs of 20 secs of no movement. Pressure and vac. Wondering if I should do it again for a longer period of time?

That's awesome it's all done too your standards though. Hope it's a strong runner for ya

I had to take the decomp out and put a plug in to get it to hold vac for more than a minute, all of those decomps leak a little. After putting the plug in the saw held 10 hg for over 30 mins with no drop. I had put a few drops of two stroke oil on each radial seal before testing, I havn`t tried starting it since the cleanup but I bet it will run perfect. I cleaned and re kitted the carb anyway since it was apart, it will need to be set up and tuned.

Rained here only for a short time! Overcast for most of the day and cool East wind. But managed a nice load of dead standing white oak from over the power line. Strained my back too on that heavy stuff. Mighty Mouse was hummin' as usual! :rock:

It pretty much rained here all day, just about stopped now and got a couple of glimpses of the sun as it set.
Mighty mouses are like Timex watches...LOL

Ahh that's interesting! I didn't know that. No decomp on my 440 cylinder. Tried about 10 mins for both pressure and vac. Success!!! No leaks. Time to clean the rest of it and get er done!!

A good decomp is a very slow leaker but as the saw gets run a lot carbon builds up on the decomp valve seat and they leak much more as time goes on.

Latest posts

Back