Synthetic oil....for what it's worth!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYH1

Tacticle Chainsaw Operator.
Reaction score
I changed the oil in my 2000 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4 to Amsoil's 0W-40 synthetic ATV motor oil. I don't know if it's going to help my engine at all. It did however make my transmission noticeably easier to shift. Just figured I'd pass that along. YMMV!

Synthetic oil in cars

I have been using synthetic oil for many years, and when I switch from the regular oil I get about a 10% bump in mpg on the highway. I don't know how it affects the mileage on our rural driving, but I know the engine is better protected. We do enough highway driving that I figure our oil changes are free due to the improved mileage.

I am just rebuilding a second corolla engine 98-02 1ZZFE 1.8, people had poor oil change habits and the oil rings stick, I don't think the rings were to good either. Will run synthetic in them from now on less sludge and sticking parts. Not too expensive if you buy it on sale. Way better cold weather starts.

I changed the oil in my 2000 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4 to Amsoil's 0W-40 synthetic ATV motor oil. I don't know if it's going to help my engine at all. It did however make my transmission noticeably easier to shift. Just figured I'd pass that along. YMMV!

very nice! you should also notice much easier cold starts as well,esp if your like me,and have an unheated garage.I love synthetic oil for its cold flow properties!

very nice! you should also notice much easier cold starts as well,esp if your like me,and have an unheated garage.I love synthetic oil for its cold flow properties!
The engine does seem to turn over a little quicker when starting it when it's cold.

I'm running Shell Rotella T 0W40 in my atv. It's full synthetic as well, so cold starts aren't a problem. Its quite a bit cheaper than amsoil at least in Ontario.
Ian

Synthetic is the only way to go. i prefer Amsoil or Schaffer. Filters is Napa gold (wix), amsoil. I change filters every 10k and oil @25k. My vehicle and wifes have over 100k so far and NO problems.

Best on the market...

GaryGoo.jpg

I've got 272,xxx miles on my lexus and all it has ever had in it was mobil 1. Never had the valve covers off, only did normal maintenance/wear replacement and drive the piss out out of it. It still runs perfect and doesn't use any oil.

1988 chevy 1500 4.3 using syn oil for ten years 495,000 km's and still hauling firewood. cant go wrong with with syn.

I only use Mobile 1 syn in my vehicles.

Benefits:
Allot easier to start in cold weather, (w/o block heater) for me it had to get below -40 before engine wouldn't start.
Protects the engine in hot weather
Helps protect against mechanics ID10T errors.
(Had an oil change done and they didn't screw the cap all the way in without syn I would have needed a new engine)
Helps protect against users ID10T errors, my truck was leaking a little oil, was about 2 quarts low before I noticed it. No damage to engine.

Drawbacks:
Since syn tends to be thinner then regular if things are not 100% sealed you will leak oil.

I'm running Shell Rotella T 0W40 in my atv. It's full synthetic as well, so cold starts aren't a problem.
Ian

Same here, I run it in my side by side. Non synthetic rotella t in my quad, both with great results. Also my sport bike gets rotella synthetic, it's got 52k on it. Been putting it in since the first change, when I did a valve job a few weeks ago completely clean. Since all of our toys but the wifes truck uses the stuff I just got a 35 gallon drum of it for 12 chips a gallon. I have noticed that need to change the oil filter every 3000 miles and oil every 6000, And for the atv/utv I need to change every 3 to 4 month. We ride alot off road though, Over the weekend we went to the quad park and spent 43 outta 72 hours riding. You need to check the api rating your quad needs, Regular car oil isn't good for it if the clutch if it uses the same oil as the engine. Some do so check your model, if it does I wouldn't worry to much just change it a little sooner then normal. Most diesel oils are clutch friendly

I try to run Synthetic in all the engines. My dailey driver - 96 chevy 1/2 ton 2 wheeled drive has had Synthetic since new. 287,??? miles. 1/4 quart per 2000 miles and havent had a issue with the engine yet. Also use it in the lawnmowers and woodsplittor.

Back