The 70cc modifie'd saw claim's.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i definitly wont bring up bar length or why i like flippy cap saws then :msp_wink:

has anyone thrown chains into this thread yet ?

These fellers lightly touched upon chains while discussing the gloriousness of Doug's fir or the Janka'ed Sassssssiafrasss of the mid west. There was some talk of sawyers but it was not dimensional enough so they left.

Shiat Brad! We talk the forest up, as more than it is you would be fine! Chain's yeah great point, but assuming hopefully everyone is cutting only with a sharp one. And everybody has there preference, that will be another chest puffing, then relaxing informative, and entertaining thread LOL! Oh P.S chain speed, porting, and all of the 70cc, come on is a 66 really that slow, even stock. It's 13,000 rpm's for god's sake!:wink2:

Oh, I was thinking how I have been in that situation a thousand times, sitting there waiting to finish the cut with a 70 cc saw screaming it's guts out. It goes so much faster with a larger displacement saw in my experience. The bigger saws seem to pull through the grain better when you go in to make your second face cut. Where the 70cc is touchy, the 90cc lugs down before it loses steam & slips the clutch.

When you're chasing holding wood, 90cc's are nice. Barberchairs are just no fun. We like to go home at night on our own two legs. Chasing holding wood is avoidable, but stress, tiredness, pressure all lead to poor desicion making. It happens when you're knocking down 200-400 trees a day. #### happens. That's why I run a 66 in big, heavy, leaning timber. A little more room for error. I know that you should always let the saw do the work, but sometimes you get in a spot where you just have to dog in, lean on it, and get the hell out of the way. Bottom end is nice when this happens.

I love my ported 44, but it just doesn't have the bottom end of the 66 with a buried bar.

And yes, ported 70cc saws are sweet. Never been without one. Big guns are just nice to have when you need them. They both have their place, that's why they both come to work everyday
- Sam

View attachment 194923

I ran a ported 372 that was great with a 20 inch bar. It would do nice with a 28'' but bury it in something hard and it was maxed, at least from my standpoint. . Like you said, it's nice to have a little extra when you need it. .

Awesome Sam! That from a true chopper, cutter logger, fella feller, sawyer, and hell of a feller LOL! Stump power like you said you pull that trigger even leaning in it hard, that chain will spin. Almost reach around a hard spot where you need a hand just to hold on to the tree, and this big saw damn near pull you into thee tree, and helps hold you just from the power. My 660, and 2101 eat chip's at will.View attachment 194930View attachment 194932View attachment 194936View attachment 194930View attachment 194932View attachment 194936 Oop's screwe'd up on the pic's Wtf? Anyway another good point Sam, as I bring all my saw's everytime I cut too. Note the pic with me, and the two saw's in hand. One resting on my boot other on a log. You will never see me stand a saw in the dirt. I take all step's to keep em out of dirt. Chain's stay sharp!

Last edited:
I have a solution to all this jibber jabber. Port your 066:msp_thumbup:[/QUOTE]

Lol, my last 66 was ported. It was a monster. And it went through gas like no other. Got sick of packing jugs, so this one has had everything but cylinder mods done. Runs great. A ported 66 is a thing to behold, but damn.....they are hard on the gas! That last one was a firewoodin' mother ####er though.....but the gas was always within reach. Still wish I had it...ported and a flat top - Sam

Awesome Sam! That from a true chopper, cutter logger, fella feller, sawyer, and hell of a feller LOL! Stump power like you said you pull that trigger even leaning in it hard, that chain will spin. Almost reach around a hard spot where you need a hand just to hold on to the tree, and this big saw damn near pull you into thee tree, and helps hold you just from the power. My 660, and 2101 eat chip's at will.View attachment 194930View attachment 194932View attachment 194936View attachment 194930View attachment 194932View attachment 194936 Oop's screwe'd up on the pic's Wtf? Anyway another good point Sam, as I bring all my saw's everytime I cut too. Note the pic with me, and the two saw's in hand. One resting on my boot other on a log. You will never see me stand a saw in the dirt. I take all step's to keep em out of dirt. Chain's stay sharp!

Just wondering, are you a logger/cutter or are you an arborist? Are you talking about a stock 660, when you speak of all of this power, in the aforementioned quote of yours? Just wondering if you are talking about a stock saw or modded saw that is 90+cc.

Do you have any modded saws?

Just wondering,

Sam

Latest posts

Back