The 70cc modifie'd saw claim's.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the two videos mdavlee mentioned.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oDWe4qHkJT4?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oDWe4qHkJT4?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yawui3Owy24?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yawui3Owy24?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Thanks wendell. Your 2171 is a good bit stronger than that 372 in that video too.

Well here is my take on this, I am not an expert by any means but here goes, I cant compare the stihls to each other because I have never owned one. I do however cut a lot of trees for firewood using an excavator from work and a dump trailer to haul away, with that being said it is not uncommon for me and my two other buddies cutting up 25 trees in a days time into splitter sized pieces. I have 3 372's a 262xp and my dad has a nice 181 se. I understand the 181 is not the machine a 660 is so the difference between the 372 and the 181 would be less than a 441 and a 660. I can however say that the weight difference is very noticable between the two saws. The wood we are cutting is only 18" to 24" hardwood. I would have to agree that in "most" cutting when you don't need a bar longer than 28" when you factor in the extra weight of the big saw and the time refueling it 15 to 20 percent more often, the 70cc saw as long as it isnt struggling to cut the log up would be faster because of less refueling and a lot easier to hang on to. I always wanted a288 or 394,395 but I have a feeling I will always reach for that damn 372 with woods porting 8 pin rim and 20 or 24 inch bar, Tuff to beat.

Just curious here but I just looked on Stihl's website to compare the 441 to the 660. The 441 with a wrap handle weighs in at 15.2lbs compared to the 660 at 16.8 lbs, Im just a firewood guy so I dont have to carry the thing around all day but would 1.6lbs really be that noticeable?

Just curious here but I just looked on Stihl's website to compare the 441 to the 660. The 441 with a wrap handle weighs in at 15.2lbs compared to the 660 at 16.8 lbs, Im just a firewood guy so I dont have to carry the thing around all day but would 1.6lbs really be that noticeable?

Sure is when you use it all day!

Not until you get tired. If you run the bigger saw long enough it gains the feel of the lighter saw, and the lighter saw feels even lighter, it feels slower too.

Running a ported 660 then running a stock 440 is like a real saw compared to a garden tool. . .

When you add oil fuel the gap gets quite a bit larger.

One thing everyone is forgetting about is bar oil output, I find the stock oil pump on 660's don't oil 32" bars all that well, so I can't see the 441 doing that well with 32" bars.

Make no mistake about it, 70cc saws are about perfect for most felling work these days. I personally don't own a 90cc saw, I just don't have any real need for one with my ported 70cc saws and my 084 for the truly large wood.

Last edited:
The stihls need the HO oilers to oil bars as good as huskies do. The 660 with a HO oiler doesn't put out near as much oil as a 395 on a 41" bar. A 372 will put out plenty of oil for a 32" and a 440 puts barely enough for me on the same bar. The weight difference sometimes is misleading on how it will feel in the hands. A 7900 is lighter than a 390xp but with 32" bars the 7900 actually wears the wrists out faster. The 460 always felt that way also.

The stihls need the HO oilers to oil bars as good as huskies do. The 660 with a HO oiler doesn't put out near as much oil as a 395 on a 41" bar. A 372 will put out plenty of oil for a 32" and a 440 puts barely enough for me on the same bar. The weight difference sometimes is misleading on how it will feel in the hands. A 7900 is lighter than a 390xp but with 32" bars the 7900 actually wears the wrists out faster. The 460 always felt that way also.

I agree with you 100%. I put a HO oiler on the 660 I had and it was still barely enough oil for a 32" bar, but it was acceptable. As you said the Husky's put out plenty of oil. The 7900 is quite nose heavy with a 32" bar, I'd like to get a light bar someday.

Last edited:
I liked a 28" rw bar on the 7900s I had. I didn't like the 32" on it as it was real nose heavy.

lord no, last time I got a good dose, I woke up with no wallet, a stinky ####, and chipped teeth. The worst part was learning what happened from others. . .

:dizzy:

It is mighty tasty though!

[video=youtube;Gc3SvfDwkXo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc3SvfDwkXo[/video]
I will run my 2100cd against any woods modded 70cc saw with 30 inch bar in wood over 30 inches and my saw is stock. Of course I am not guarenteeing that it will win, but I am pretty confident.

IMHO, the comments in the OP are taken out of context. It's usually qualified with something like "in moderate sized wood", or "with 24 inch bars". I don't know that I've ever seen someone say that their ported 70cc saw will outcut a 90cc saw with 36" bars on both. I run a 28" bar on my ported 70-76cc saws. I would put up either my MS440/460 or 372XP up against a stock MS660, and I bet I'd come out first. It's all about chain speed. My 440 and 372 can maintain 11,500-12,000 RPMs with the bar buried in Oak. As the wood gets smaller, the 440 and 372 will shine even more. On the other hand, with long bars, there's no replacement for displacement. Sounds like a fun test, except I don't have a stock 660:) If I'm wrong, I'd man up and tell you. Sounds like a fun test for a GTG.

Last edited:
True my 044 burn's less fule than the 660. But by the time we have to re-fuel the 660, there is such a good chunk taken out of the job, or the tree the last thing on my mind is the gas mileage. Like I said I have a 372, and a 044, if I dindn't like or use them would have sold them. Thought about it to buy another 660. But I do love em. I'm just seperating the back yard block cutter's from the real one's. I don't cut on flat ground, and it is rarely easy. But the 70cc I use most for firewood, and small, and stuff up to maybe 2 foot or more. If the wood get's bigger, and I have my 44 cutting already I will continue, and it doe's fine. I love cutting, and tree work but the faster I cut the faster we move down the road. The 066-660 is the standard for most out here where I live. Has been since the 56mag2. The saw's that cut the same or close around here are the same size saw. Even in smaller wood, even in Redwood. If you want the all around package, speed torque, reliability, cut any size wood, run a real bar, then you will have to pack a little more weiht, and burn more fuel. More flow=H.P!

Latest posts

Back