The best *homeowner* saw only costs $298. brand new!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Super-hunky

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This thread is about compatibility and value for the homeowner, nothing else!.

After being on this forum for several weeks now, there is lots of advice to potential new chainsaw owners given. Much of it is good; however, a lot of it is overkill.

What I mean is that I don't even think I can count as high as how many times I have read others suggesting new homeowners go out and buy a $600 Stihl ms361.

Yes, they are fantastic saws, no qualms there, but for the "occasional" user who may just cut down a few modest sized trees or a few cords of wood per year, these people really don't need to spend more than $298 for a fantastic brand new saw that is very *compatible* for what threy are doing with it.

The saw I referring to is a Husqvarna 350, plain and simple. This is a very powerful saw (by homeowner standards), producing 3.2 hp...[more than powerful enough for firewood cutting], and is also VERY light @ just a tick over 10 1/2 lbs.

A 3.2hp saw, weighing only 10 1/2 lbs and costing only $298.00 is proportionally about as good a ratio as the Dolar 5100 producing 3.8hp, weighing 11 lbs, and costing around $400. These are just fantastic specs!!!

Some members may suggest to get the husky 353 over the 350, but in reality, the only difference is the magnesium vs plastic case and around $50-$75 more money!.

While magnesium may be stronger than plastic, don't forget the main theme of this post.......that being COMPATIBILITY!!. Magnesium is used on PRO level saws that see many hundreds if not thousands of hours on them. If you are a "homeowner", ask yourself...."am I a PRO??". "Am I going to be cutting a few hundred cords of firewood this year? or maybe just 3 or 4??.

What I am really trying to say is that in my opinion, too many people are buying "PRO" level saws and spending much more money than they have to when a high quality "homeowner" saw like the Husky 350 will work out perfectly for many, many years.

Now don't get me wrong, if you have the cash and desire to by a top of the line saw like a Stihl ms361, then by all means do. The only purpose of this post is just to let the "average" occasional user know that there are certainly other options that will accomplish the same goal for a lot less money.

For the occasional user who needs to cut down a few modest sized trees a year or several cords of firewood, go out and take a look at the Husky 350. It's there best selling saw for a reason as for the price, power, weight and value, it is one of the best "bang for the buck" saws you can buy..

After being on this forum for several weeks now, there is lots of advice to potential new chainsaw owners given. Much of it is good; however, a lot of it is overkill.

What I mean is that I don't even think I can count as high as how many times I have read others suggesting new homeowners go out and buy a $600 Stihl ms361.

Yes, they are fantastic saws, no qualms there, but for the "occasional" user who may just cut down a few modest sized trees or a few cords of wood per year, these people really don't need to spend more than $298 for a fantastic brand new saw that is very *compatible* for what threy are doing with it.

The saw I referring to is a Husqvarna 350, plain and simple. This is a very powerful saw (by homeowner standards), producing 3.2 hp...[more than powerful enough for firewood cutting], and is also VERY light @ just a tick over 10 1/2 lbs.

A 3.2hp saw, weighing only 10 1/2 lbs and costing only $298.00 is proportionally about as good a ratio as the Dolar 5100 producing 3.8hp, weighing 11 lbs, and costing around $400. These are just fantastic specs!!!

Some members may suggest to get the husky 353 over the 350, but in reality, the only difference is the magnesium vs plastic case and around $50-$75 more money!.

While magnesium may be stronger than plastic, don't forget the main theme of this post.......that being COMPATIBILITY!!. Magnesium is used on PRO level saws that see many hundreds if not thousands of hours on them. If you are a "homeowner", ask yourself...."am I a PRO??". "Am I going to be cutting a few hundred cords of firewood this year? or maybe just 3 or 4??.

What I am really trying to say is that in my opinion, too many people are buying "PRO" level saws and spending much more money than they have to when a high quality "homeowner" saw like the Husky 350 will work out perfectly for many, many years.

Now don't get me wrong, if you have the cash and desire to by a top of the line saw like a Stihl ms361, then by all means do. The only purpose of this post is just to let the "average" occasional user know that there are certainly other options that will accomplish the same goal for a lot less money.

For the occasional user who needs to cut down a few modest sized trees a year or several cords of firewood, go out and take a look at the Husky 350. It's there best selling saw for a reason as for the price, power, weight and value, it is one of the best "bang for the buck" saws you can buy..

Is your real name Andy?

Mr. You sure come up with some lame threads.

Next time you want to purchase something, but don't know much about the topic, think about this thread and your worthless comment to it!.

I *am* an occasional use homeowner who does not see the need for everyone to buy an expensive overkill saw; especially for occaional use.

I'm sorry for trying to be helpful to new chainsaw enthusiasts by posting this information. Hopefully, someday I will be as knowledgable as you are and won't have to read up, or ask anything from anybody because I am just so smart!

Hopefully, someday I will be as knowledgable as you are and won't have to read up, or ask anything from anybody because I am just so smart!

Doubtful...very doubtful. And as far as not buying a quality pro level saw...your choice entirely. It's good when a man knows his limitations. Or will soon find them.

husky 350 or jonsered 2150.nice write up .i bought the 2150.both perfect home owner saws.it replaced a stihl 017.then i made the mistake of buying a 2165 that i didn't need.

I agree that the Husky 350 is a great homeowner saw. It should be able to handle anything a homeowner can throw at it. I had one for about a week (bought off a friend, then ebayed it), I was impressed, it was close to my stihl ms270 in power but weighed alot less. For 300 dollars, It can't really be beat IMHO.

I agree that the Husky 350 is a great homeowner saw. It should be able to handle anything a homeowner can throw at it. I had one for about a week (bought off a friend, then ebayed it), I was impressed, it was close to my stihl ms270 in power but weighed alot less. For 300 dollars, It can't really be beat IMHO.

Whew! It's settled then. The Husky 350 is a fine HO saw. I'm running down to Lowes right now and get me a Husky 350.

Ummmm... maybe not. :hmm3grin2orange:

I do not agree

It is sort of like buying a mustang with a four banger.. yes it is still a mustang.. But you will soon be wishing you had ordered a V-8. anti up to atleast the 5100 for another 75 bucks..

Or just buy a 361

Whew! It's settled then. The Husky 350 is a fine HO saw. I'm running down to Lowes right now and get me a Husky 350.

Ummmm... maybe not. :hmm3grin2orange:

:hmm3grin2orange: Better get two or three. That way you'll have one to use while the others are stacked up in some warehouse waiting to be worked on.
Don't get me wrong...theres nothing wrong with Husky. If I hadn't started out running Stihl and gotten so used to them and had such damn fine service from them I'd probably run Husky.
But why buy a limited lifespan saw when for just a little more you can get something (in any brand) that will last you forever? You're never sorry when you get the very best.

This is not a "smart arsed" reply, but rather a very serious one. Why does everyone think that if a Husky needs to be worked one, then the rule of thunmb must be to circumvent or avoid altogether the many established Husqvarna dealers and go straight to the big box store??. This makes no sense to me!.

If I owned a Husky and needed work done on it, I would just bring it to one of the numerous authorized husky dealers in my area, (who would stock most parts needed), and just have the obvious thing done by having them work on it!!.

Am I missing something here??

Last edited:
im not a profesional logger or arborist but i cut a fare amount of firewood every year and fall a tree or two when i get the chance, and when i first got into the chainsaw addiction i thout i would save some money and get a "home owner" saw since i wasnt cutting wood day in and day out. the saw i got didnt even last 1 winter cutting fire wood.

since then i lerned that you get what you pay for and you will save money buy getting a quality saw the first time. dont worry if you think the saw that you are getting is to big for what you need, once you use it you will want more power and wish you got more cc's............:chainsawguy:

Back