The Genius of Stihl, an Amazing Story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
y'all should just step back, take a breath, and listen to Tom. Aftereall, you're hearing the wisdom of the legend.

Dennis I know your getting alittle old but if you go back to the beginning of the thread the source was written and the book cover was shown. No one is taking words from others and making them their own. Might be a good idea for you to go get the book and spare me from setting you straight all the time and making you out to be the smart mouth you seem to be. That hot saw racing that left 99.9999999999999999999999999% of the world not knowing who you are must have affected your judgement but if ya like getting slapped around hey I'm more than happy to give you your jollies,wink! Report this one too, the mods could use another good laff!!!

Hot saws. Was that his claim to fame, no wonder nobody knows or cares who the he!! he is.

By "almost word for word," do you mean you're just leaving out the big ones?

Means I'm not breaking copywrite laws, I think, LOL. I got someone checking on that now. I may have to end everyones fun durn it and it was just getting good,grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Hot saws. Was that his claim to fame, no wonder nobody knows or cares who the he!! he is.

Easy there friend, he'll report that. He shot me for saying he spelled "are" instead of "our". I thought by the looks of his avatar he was a tuff guy, seems to be another pansy in hiding under a wolf coat.

BTW, your sig, good question. Where is Just Mow, he'd get a kick out of this thread.

The conditions for realizing his idea are poor to begin with. Its a time of rampant inflation. In the face of all the economic problems, Andreas Stihl embarks on going into business on his own in 1923. Together with Carl Hohl, a friend, who is also an engineer, he founds a consulting firm in Augusten-strasse 111 in Stutgart on March 1,1923. The officail registered size of the business and storage rooms is 3.5x5.7 meters, not quite 20 square meters.

Intitially, the business was run on a joint account. On August 10,1923,the firm converts into a general partnership, which is registered in the Stutgart
commercail register on August 18,1923. The purpose of the company is the planning and implementation of industrial plant as well as the sale of apporpiate machines. In the articles of partnership the partners undertake to devote their whole effort to the joint company to the best of their abilities.

(keep those last four words in mind)

Without any doubt, a real interesting story, Master Thall :clap:
You know I like old saws and the history of the development of individual brands has been discussed many times in several forums. A very interesting source (and more objective, hehe) of information is the swedish collector forum, especially the history section, which I really can recommend for a good read on the development of the chainsaw.

Mr Stihl no doubt was an entrepreneurial kind of person, and imo, was a better and cleverer business man than his business associates at the time.

Something which you did not mention, is the fact that Mr Stihl, along with Mr Lerp from later Dolmar) was a sales rep for an earlier chainsaw manufacterer called 'Rinco' (see ad as proof).

The details are not known, but it has the looks of it that Mr Stihl developed his first saw from the Rinco models and was smart enough to patent his first models. Hence, it's quite clear that Rinco was the first german petrol chainsaw manufacterer, and others, such as Stihl and Dolmar, only developed theirs later.

attachment.php

All credit to the man Stihl as he has proven later to be an excellent sales man, as he travelled personally to the PNW to introduce, demonstrate and optimize his models. Don't forget this was pre-war time alongwith a far from ideal business environment. That's a great achievement imo.

Not to interfere with your story, but I found it appropriate to mention this quite mysterious episode in the founding of the company.

Now let us heathens hear the rest of the story, Mr Thall :popcorn: :popcorn:

Last edited:
Great post there Brother Belgian. The book I'm using as the source was just getting to that in the next page or so. You did hit the nail on the head quick and I like it. Stihl was indeed a salesman. What good is a product if you can't sell it, apparently he thought in those terms and set out to not only produce but sell. Good post Belgian!!!

Great post there Brother Belgian. The book I'm using as the source was just getting to that in the next page or so. You did hit the nail on the head quick and I like it. Stihl was indeed a salesman. What good is a product if you can't sell it, apparently he thought in those terms and set out to not only produce but sell. Good post Belgian!!!

Tommie,

You going to put in the part where he used tepid beer to "grease the skids".

Joat

Tommie,

You going to put in the part where he used tepid beer to "grease the skids".

Joat

LOLOL, haven't seen that in the book but if its in there I'll type it.

Hey Joat whats up with that sig of yours, I see Stang has one too, yaw fussing about those saws? They're so close its a waste of breath to fuss over, they both scoot good.

The Genius of Stihl

Great Thread. Loved the story on Mr Stihl, been nice to have read the rest.My last 6 Chain Saws and my Wife's Sewing Machine are all Husky's, I am still looking for the Dirt Bike

LOLOL, haven't seen that in the book but if its in there I'll type it.

Hey Joat whats up with that sig of yours, I see Stang has one too, yaw fussing about those saws? They're so close its a waste of breath to fuss over, they both scoot good.

Tommie,

Stang and I aren't fussin'. Least I'm not. Stang used your quote moments after you posted it. I saw your next post and thought, "Now, there's a classic, and it's so Tom". You're all about having a good, reliable, non-leaking saw that cuts and feels good. If one cuts 2% better than another, no big deal. So, I changed my sig about 8.45721 seconds after you posted it. Now, isn't that your point? They are all very close in the wood?

Oh, what did Demi get you for Christmas?

Joat

Tommie,

Stang and I aren't fussin'. Least I'm not. Stang used your quote moments after you posted it. I saw your next post and thought, "Now, there's a classic, and it's so Tom". You're all about having a good, reliable, non-leaking saw that cuts and feels good. If one cuts 2% better than another, no big deal. So, I changed my sig about 8.45721 seconds after you posted it. Now, isn't that your point? They are all very close in the wood?

Oh, what did Demi get you for Christmas?

Joat

Awwwwwwwwww ok, I see whatcha mean now, cool beans. Yup I must admit I've never met a tree that said my saw was too slow or measured other saws. I reckon if there was money riding on a cut between two people the split second between two saws may make a differance. To me out in the woods those saws are so close no one would care or really notice.

Demi got what she gave me, nothing, I'm filing for divorce,LOL

Tommie,

Don't fret ole buddy. According to Virginia Common Law, you'll still be brother and sister.

Joat

Haha,good one. I thought it was odd. I overheard someone ask Demi if she had a sister, she said no but her brother did,:monkey: :monkey:

Awwwwwwwwwwww Woodie its not that bad.

So you found out Stihl is indeed the No.1 saw in the world, no need to get all upset over it. Then today you found out Ford got slapped out of the No.2 spot by Toyota, so what. No need to throw a tissy. Look at yourself man, grow a set will ya!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I6icSXwSk8&NR=1

Hey Dude from Texas,
Maybe you should read more about someone before you spout off.

Dennis has made his mark in Hot saws years ago and is still going.

This is just one of those fun threads. I ask you to keep it that way.
Theres no need to bash anyone on this site. Now unless you want me to make you my personal Friend. ;) #2, lets just have some fun.

So you found out Stihl is indeed the No.1 saw in the world, no need to get all upset over it.

Funny thing...I don't think it would make a hill of beans wortha difference if Stihl actually did pass Husqvarna in sales, here or worldwide.

But since Husqvarna is very comfortably in the lead, both here and worldwide, it doesn't matter now, does it?

Hey Dude from Texas,
Maybe you should read more about someone before you spout off.

Dennis has made his mark in Hot saws years ago and is still going.

This is just one of those fun threads. I ask you to keep it that way.
Theres no need to bash anyone on this site. Now unless you want me to make you my personal Friend. ;) #2, lets just have some fun.

I agree this is a fun thread. Thing is Dennis is the one that doesn't seem to find in any humor in it Manual. Not that it makes any differance to me but if he wants to dish it then dayumm sure best be able to swollow it. I don't care if he flew that hot saw to the moon and back, he keeps spouting off I'm gonna keep slappig his ole hide and thats that.

Latest posts

Back