The Great WI 50cc Challenge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2153 was beat by half a second by JD's 5100, mine only lost by .17 seconds. Is that worth $100-150? I like the feel of the 2153, not so much the 346. Woodyman's modded 346 was an awesome machine though, I think it will run with a 70cc saw in >20" wood.

Brad, I love your work. I think you try to be fair to every saw that you touch. But, stock vs stock, I think that there is no hands down winner.

I'd love to do this again, with a 260 and a 346 to report, and enough time to make 3 sets of cuts and average them. I suspect that the results will be similar, though.

My advice, buy the saw you want, and enjoy it. They are all 150% better than the old saws I grew up with.

Wow. Less than a second apart. When are we going to call it a draw, shake hands and have a beer? You're right about it being hard, if not silly to declare a hands down winner. And they are way ahead of the stuff we grew up with.

These things are fun, (except for the guys who take them too seriously.)Making more cuts with the same saw doesn't prove as much as cutting with more saws of the same model. It's cool that there were two 5100's, one finishing ahead, and one behind the 2153. It makes it tough for some of the guys who have a biased rooting interest to pound their chests. And it proves again to me that it's really a coin toss between them power wise. The 2153/346 has a handling advantage and the Dolmar has a price advantage, (at least from dealers who buy in the max bracket).

Another thing about having the two 5100's is that it illustrates that these comparisons determine the differences between the specific examples involved. The results cannot speak for, or be considered difinitive of, every saw in the country. If just one of the Dolmars had been there, it could have been declared the winner or the loser depending on which one showed up. If you had five saws of the same model, they would likely have a time spread similar to what you guys found.

Regarding price, one thing somebody ought to do at one of these GTG's is to compare the pro saws such as the 5100, 346/2153, 260 with their lessor "homeowner" counterparts such as the 510, 350/450, MS250 on and on. I suspect that they wouldn't be all that far behind, especially in an 8x8 cant. It would be fun and the brand bias thing wouldn't really come into play (unless we started arguing about the 510 vs the 450.) How about some of those "refurb" Huskys? $299 for a 455 and $225 for a 445? I realize that we're getting farther away from top pro saws like the 2153 and 5100, but you can't argue with the "bang for the buck" appeal of those deals.

It'll be interesting to see how many pages this goes and how friendly it stays. :givebeer:

Wow. Less than a second apart. When are we going to call it a draw, shake hands and have a beer? You're right about it being hard, if not silly to declare a hands down winner. And they are way ahead of the stuff we grew up with.

These things are fun, (except for the guys who take them too seriously.)Making more cuts with the same saw doesn't prove as much as cutting with more saws of the same model. It's cool that there were two 5100's, one finishing ahead, and one behind the 2153. It makes it tough for some of the guys who have a biased rooting interest to pound their chests. And it proves again to me that it's really a coin toss between them power wise. The 2153/346 has a handling advantage and the Dolmar has a price advantage, (at least from dealers who buy in the max bracket).

Another thing about having the two 5100's is that it illustrates that these comparisons determine the differences between the specific examples involved. The results cannot speak for, or be considered difinitive of, every saw in the country. If just one of the Dolmars had been there, it could have been declared the winner or the loser depending on which one showed up. If you had five saws of the same model, they would likely have a time spread similar to what you guys found.

Regarding price, one thing somebody ought to do at one of these GTG's is to compare the pro saws such as the 5100, 346/2153, 260 with their lessor "homeowner" counterparts such as the 510, 350/450, MS250 on and on. I suspect that they wouldn't be all that far behind, especially in an 8x8 cant. It would be fun and the brand bias thing wouldn't really come into play (unless we started arguing about the 510 vs the 450.) How about some of those "refurb" Huskys? $299 for a 455 and $225 for a 445? I realize that we're getting farther away from top pro saws like the 2153 and 5100, but you can't argue with the "bang for the buck" appeal of those deals.

It'll be interesting to see how many pages this goes and how friendly it stays. :givebeer:

I'm thinking we might get the Husky 350 results and it's going to be a bit slower, how much will be interesting. Steve

Well imagine that. Your testing shows the same thing ours did. The 2153/346 is the fastest saw. What can I say? Told you so! Add that to the fact that it handles better and you have a clear winner. And when I can get a 346 with B&C for $440, price isn't even a consideration.

The 2153/346, is modded? and yet the 5100 beat it??
Ok lets see, 346 is $440 and then you have to mod it and it still isn't as fast as a 5100? no brainer here, why not just buy a Dolmar and be done fooling yourself...

The 2153/346, is modded? and yet the 5100 beat it??
Ok lets see, 346 is $440 and then you have to mod it and it still isn't as fast as a 5100? no brainer here, why not just buy a Dolmar and be done fooling yourself...

The 2153 was stock and so was the 5100.......Its more about operator ........

The ported saw was a 346NE.....

Sounds like the Husky/Jred guys on this site ........:popcorn::popcorn:

J.D.'s stock 5100- 10.25
Woodyman's modded 346 - 9.4
Ryan's modded 026 - 10.25
J.D. with Ryans 026- 10.25
J.D. with Woodymans 346- 9.03

my modded 026 after the rim change with jon running it was 9.4 or 9.6 and woody man was running squareground chain also I think !! It shows that i need more practice racin!!!!!!!:clap: I dont have the #'s though any help JD? Also mine was stock chain never touched! Woodyman was it squarechain???? Just wondering so i can go back to the drawing board !

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spike60

It'll be interesting to see how many pages this goes and how friendly it stays.

Sounds like a certain Dolmar fanboy on this site... :sword::chatter::poke:

Scott

Last edited:

Though this isn't exactly what you're talking about, do multiple runs with different operators so each operator runs each saw once. Throw in two chain types and you have a pretty clean statistical design.

You're right in that having multiple of the same saw would be better, but taking out the operator aspect (each saw gets multiple users) would level the playing field a bit and help make a fair comparison.

You're right in that having multiple of the same saw would be better, but taking out the operator aspect (each saw gets multiple users) would level the playing field a bit and help make a fair comparison.[/QUOTE]

We where trying to not have any variables granted the differances between the operator are still there but to see the comparison of the 50cc saw class across the board !! And I know that one saw could be better or worse than the next one of the same brand.:cheers:

Dayummm same old argument still going on. Can't quite understand what the point is. One saw beats another in the cut by a second or less, ok, now what. Does this mean the slower of the two saws is no good, should be tossed in the dumpster, I don't think so. Is the faster saw automaticly considered a better saw just because of that one second win, I don't think so. Will the guy with the faster saw cut much more wood in a day than the man with the slower saw, not really.

So for you testers answer this if you please. What is the point and why is a second or less between two saws so important? I'd really like to know.

So for you testers answer this if you please. What is the point and why is a second or less between two saws so important? I'd really like to know.

My contention is that there is no importance in a 1 second difference. From what I saw, I'd be buying whichever one made me happier, and not at all concerned with whether or not 1/4 second per cut makes for a longer day in the woods.

I went with the 5100 based on a dealer 10 minutes away vs 1/2 hour for Husky, as well as price and my experience with my 7300.

Videos are coming, gonna get started on uploading them now.

Dayummm same old argument still going on. Can't quite understand what the point is. One saw beats another in the cut by a second or less, ok, now what. Does this mean the slower of the two saws is no good, should be tossed in the dumpster, I don't think so. Is the faster saw automaticly considered a better saw just because of that one second win, I don't think so. Will the guy with the faster saw cut much more wood in a day than the man with the slower saw, not really.

Good point! i left you some Rep too!

First video: JD with the 5105. I've forgotten the order of which chains are on which saws, but I'm pretty sure this set was with the 3/8" setup.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jn7r0Zs6VhY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jn7r0Zs6VhY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ryan with the 5105, same b&c:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Rtjl3QYvM4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Rtjl3QYvM4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Still working on the rest, uploading is going pretty slowly.

I don't think there is a point except that they did it,everyone is doing it and it seemed to be alot of fun.I got my Snellerized NE346XP because I want to get my wood done as fast as I can and for limbing and up to a certain size it just flat out flyes.I have Woodland Pro 28CR .058 X .325 on it now.GTG's are fun but I don't care about times and how fast it cuts a certian size peice of wood faster than another saw on that day.If it performs out in the woods the way I want I will be happy:clap: Oh yeah,the 5100 did not beat me,never will happen:chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back