The new internet policy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well boys, it's official!

It's been killing me keeping my mouth shut on this.

The first letter concerning Husky's new internet policy arrived in the mail today. It's here and it's real.

Just the basics for now; I'll post some more later this afternoon when I get home.

The policy will go into effect March 1st.

My favorite line is "Husqvarna intends to vigorously enforce these policies."

The full details are on the Husky dealer website.

Husky is re-commiting themselves to their dealer base, and I welcome that change, and like many dealers, will again make more of a commitment to Husky.

Amen!

We'll have to see how "vigorously" they plan to pursue the new directive.

I applaud Husky for trying to stand a little closer to their dealer network. Some people will be pizzed at not being able to find great internet "deals" while others will be happy to see their local dealer prosper.

It seems that in everything (I'm guilty of this): People want the lowest price at the highest quality. Sometimes it is hard to have it both ways.

Great.

At least with internet sales folks had an option to get around price-gouging, idiotic local dealers. So we're going to lose that in exchange for what benefit? So we can have to deal with some idiot hillbilly who wants $515 for a 359? I'm certainly not thrilled.

Now Spike knows that I like his business model and the way he treats his customers, but dealers like him and the many other good ones on this site are the exception and not the rule. Not even close. I like my local Stihl dealer, and I'd gladly support him with reasonable mark-ups, but that's because he's damned good at what he does. Most Stihl dealers aren't like this under Stihl's existing dealer-only practices, and I seriously doubt that the Husqvarna dealers will be, either, under the new policy that Husqvarna adopting.

A couple observations:

1. This will push SO much business back to Stihl, with its established dealer network, that it isn't even funny.

2. How does this work with the total stocking requirement, or whatever that was called? Will all "Husqvarna dealers" have to stock the full line of OPE, including lawn equipment, to be allowed to sell Husqvarna products?

3. I'd like to buy another Dolmar, but I do NOT want to drive an HOUR each way to buy Dolmar stuff. Sure, I can buy parts online but why not the damned saw, too? I don't need the dealer to set it up for me, to teach me how to use it, or to perform warranty service. So why the hell should I have to pay a premium for services I don't place any value on. Again, I once had an option in that regard. It ain't that way with Dolmar anymore, and now Husqvarna, too?!

4. How does this impact Bailey's and Amicks? Will they be able to ship saws if mail/phone ordered, or is that out the window with the no-internet policy, too?

Last edited:
Well boys, it's official!

It's been killing me keeping my mouth shut on this.

The first letter concerning Husky's new internet policy arrived in the mail today. It's here and it's real.

Just the basics for now; I'll post some more later this afternoon when I get home.

The policy will go into effect March 1st.

My favorite line is "Husqvarna intends to vigorously enforce these policies."

The full details are on the Husky dealer website.

Husky is re-commiting themselves to their dealer base, and I welcome that change, and like many dealers, will again make more of a commitment to Husky.

Amen!

Sounds like your supplier is going to stand behind you and back you now, good for them, its been long overdue. Good job ole boy.

Dayummm Spike now that Husky is fixing my biggest gripe with them maybe I can let a few in the shed now, hmmmmmmmmmm

Great.

At least with internet sales folks had an option to get around price-gouging, idiotic local dealers. So we're going to lose that in exchange for what benefit? So we can have to deal with some idiot hillbilly who wants $515 for a 359? I'm certainly not thrilled.

Now Spike knows that I like his business model and the way he treats his customers, but dealers like him and the many other good ones on this site are the exception and not the rule. Not even close.

A couple observations:

1. This will push SO much business back to Stihl, with its established dealer network, that it isn't even funny.

2. How does this work with the total stocking requirement, or whatever that was called? Will all "Husqvarna dealers" have to stock the full line of OPE, including lawn equipment, to be allowed to sell Husqvarna products?

Excellent points here. Absolutely.

I see a few possible courses of action.

Number 1: If you have a dealer who is gouging the prices of saws then call em out! Tell them they are doing something wrong or at least a bit greedy. Tell ALL your buddies, heck, take an ad out in the paper. File with the BBB. Word of mouth is a very very strong tool in getting a business to work a little harder at customer satisfaction

Number 2: Find a new dealer. If you live in an area with very sparse dealer support or all the dealers are A-Holes then maybe it's time to try a different brand.

I think that if Husky follows the Stihl, Dolmar example then it will level the playing field a bit. We'll see more people buying saws and supporting dealers based on service and function as Opposed to being able to buy a saw for XXX amount of dollars LESS than the local guy.

I know that we have sales and promotions running each and every month during the year. Something different all the time with equipment. We try hard to take care of our customers. Then again, we are 75% service and 25% sales which means we take care of EVERY person who walks in because they all are our customers, not just the ones buying equipment.

Summation: If your local Husky dealer is a turd...go somewhere else and sooner or later he'll either change his ways or go under because without $$$ no business will last long.

Are they still going to let northern tool sell on the internet ?? I could see why, they want 400 bucks more than baileys does for a 3120.

I agree that alot of the local yocal dealer have OUTRAGEOUS prices.....not just on saw's but other equipment as well. Where i live, there are a lot of landscaping companies who get ripped off all the time by these dealers, mainly cuz the landscapers have no idea. I think its a good and bad thing, not having internet sales. Too bad that the only husky dealer around my area is a$^. We bought a Husky 49 from him years ago. The employees there were very rude and weren't very helpful at all. Thats why i never bought another husky from him again and haven't been to his place in about 6 years. Becuz of situations like that, thats why I like buying saws online. BUT it has a downfall for the consumer, which has been talked about in other threads.

I know that it is tough to be a dealer in the world of online shopping. But I think that we often don't pay enought attention to the customer side of the equation. So with that in mind, a few thoughts from the consumer perspective:

Number 1: If you have a dealer who is gouging the prices of saws then call em out! Tell them they are doing something wrong or at least a bit greedy. Tell ALL your buddies, heck, take an ad out in the paper. File with the BBB. Word of mouth is a very very strong tool in getting a business to work a little harder at customer satisfaction

Yes, I recognize unhappy customers can do something. But that requires additional effort on the customer's part. The benefit of a totally free market is that the market handles that on its own, without individual actors having to do anything other than voting with their dollars. A regime that requires substantial effort on the consumer's part to address the problem is unnecessarily inefficient.

Number 2: Find a new dealer. If you live in an area with very sparse dealer support or all the dealers are A-Holes then maybe it's time to try a different brand.

I would agree. I have the great good fortune to have a superb Stihl dealer (and who recently dumped Husqvarna over order delays and that total-stocking requirement thingee), and he's less than 15 miles away or thereabouts. But let us assume that he was no good, like the three other local Stihl dealers that are 5, 6 and 8 miles away, or the new Jonsered dealer I visited the other day that had the 2159 listed for $515 and refused to budge on the price because "it's a really good saw, you know". Now I could obviously go the next decent dealer further away from me, but the truth is that I already think that driving to my current dealer is enough of a trip as is, especially for a simple no-help-needed saw purchase.

I think that if Husky follows the Stihl, Dolmar example then it will level the playing field a bit. We'll see more people buying saws and supporting dealers based on service and function as Opposed to being able to buy a saw for XXX amount of dollars LESS than the local guy.

Yes, but it will level the playingfield in the marketplace by pushing the price in an upwards direction for the consumer. You'll see more people supporting their dealers, that's for sure, but it will be because they'll have no other alternative to supporting their mediocre local dealer available without having to take a roadtrip.

I know that we have sales and promotions running each and every month during the year. Something different all the time with equipment. We try hard to take care of our customers. Then again, we are 75% service and 25% sales which means we take care of EVERY person who walks in because they all are our customers, not just the ones buying equipment.

Again, there are dealers with the right attitude and then there's everybody else! Please, PLEASE keep up the good work, especially on the service side of things.

Summation: If your local Husky dealer is a turd...go somewhere else and sooner or later he'll either change his ways or go under because without $$$ no business will last long.

True, but it will be a slower process when there is less external pressure for him to streamline his operation, to provide superior service, and to keep his product competitively priced.

"Husqvarna intends to vigorously enforce these policies."
HAAAAAAAAHAHAAAAA

Saw police

"Don Leno: I bring you in here and show you the ropes...tell you what's what; and what?

Sykes: What?

Don Leno: What what??

Sykes: You said what first"

You know the rest
:notrolls2:

OMG!

Dude. Yess. I thought the Swiss were supposed to be neutral?

I'm guessing that they will enforce this just about as well as the "NEW" Stihl saws that were "Wrong purchase" or "Bought for someone else".

When an eBay Stihl is fetching 90% of the price that a new unit does...how hard is it to resist the temptation of throwing one up for auction. Almost a guaranteed sale and a dealer could obvioulsy pull in some extra $$$ coil during an off season or move some over-stock.

That being said. I KNOW that NOOOOOOO Stihl dealer would EVER think of doing this. Ha. There are Dolmar dealers doing the same thing. It pizzes me off when I see breand new stuff on eBay from Dolmar dealers. No way to get it stopped. I'm not playing along not because I think I'd get caught and maybe a warning or a slap on the wrist...but I don't want to by a hypocrite (sp).

The real question is:

Is the dealer pool full of a ton of Rotten Apples and a few scarce good ones?

OR

Have the minority of BAD dealers left the population so Jaded that they automatically think that EVERY dealer or the majority of dealers are looking to pull something...or screw them over?

Hmmmm. Possible Poll question?

Great.

I agree with this. It will be very interesting to me to watch whether Husky can really put the cat back in the bag. Might be wishful thinking to think they can now compete completely successfully with Stihl in this regard at this date. Stihl has a much better name recognition with the man on the street, and to many of the folks I talk to around here they almost think of Stihl as American rather than German. And Husqvarna seems clearly European to them. Out of date thinking, but pervasive.

I sense management somewhere is a little desparate...

Check this OUT!

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-STIHL-MS290...2QQihZ010QQcategoryZ79669QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Current bid: $331.99 plus $20.00 for shipping. My local dealer retails this saw for 329.95 w/ 16" B & C. HOLY CRAP. Assuming they are making 30% or more, this is tidy proffit. This saw should cost around $250.00 bux.

The list on that saw (18inch) is now $359 (in the West). Most dealers make less than 20%, some as much as 24%, some as little as 18%, and that's before inbound freight etc.

There will always be a small fraction that break the rules, but Stihl has at least tried to stop internet sales and got it down to a low level. Stihl buys from the obvious reseller and tracks them back to the dealer. They get one warning, then Stihl pulls the dealership. Sure, it just drives the few into deeper cover (employee sales etc), but the message got though.

Husky/Dolmar will no doubt go for the obvious low hanging fruit initially... With a "level" playing field, their own dealers will be the best source of "who's breaking the rules".

Kind of interesting that Husky and Dolmar both came to the same "no internet" within a couple of weeks?

just for a quick side-note... this only affects USA since in europe huskys are dealer exclusive and have always been....

Sucks, because I have a 2 hour drive now to any form of Husqvarna dealer.

Hey, thats fun for everyone.

Maybe its a good thing my next saw shall be a Jonsered.

Back