The new internet policy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The list on that saw (18inch) is now $359 (in the West). Most dealers make less than 20%, some as much as 24%, some as little as 18%, and that's before inbound freight etc.

There will always be a small fraction that break the rules, but Stihl has at least tried to stop internet sales and got it down to a low level. Stihl buys from the obvious reseller and tracks them back to the dealer. They get one warning, then Stihl pulls the dealership. Sure, it just drives the few into deeper cover (employee sales etc), but the message got though.

Husky/Dolmar will no doubt go for the obvious low hanging fruit initially... With a "level" playing field, their own dealers will be the best source of "who's breaking the rules".

Kind of interesting that Husky and Dolmar both came to the same "no internet" within a couple of weeks?

WOW. Good information Lakeside. I find it hard to believe that a Stihl dealer could survive on less than 30% margins. Incoming freight? Ouch. I know that if I place an order for 10+ units (stocking or otherwise) with Dolmar...there is no freight. I'm not a Stihl dealer so I'm gonna accept your words on this as the rule.

To the best of my knowledge, Dolmar has ALWAYS had a no internet policy. The hiccup with Amick's or Bailey's (don't remember which) was so short lived and was written off as an error on their part not a change in DOLMAR policy.

Like it or not. STIHL, HUSKY and DOLMAR make the best saws available to us here in the US. Not to say that all these manufacturer's saws are THE best...just that as a whole, if you want a good saw...you have 3 real choices.

That is one good reason why I like Jonsered, (The dealer is honest).

Ha, Manual I'm honest too, its my job to take every single penny you got and I'll do it to you as well as the next guy, honestly pays,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Are they still going to let northern tool sell on the internet ?? I could see why, they want 400 bucks more than baileys does for a 3120.

They will let Northern's pricing make it look like the locals are giving Huskys away. I guess we will see actual Husqvarna-printed price tags on all display models like the Stihl dealers use around here so every one will be selling at the same price. This also reminds me how all of the gas stations happen to have the exact same price on gas in a given area. So much for competition setting prices. I like Husqvarna but if I am going to get bent over I might be buying a different brand next time I buy. So are these Stihl and Dolmar saws any good? :D

husky

I agree that this will be a big shot in the arm for Stihl. I would think that there are many like me that were shocked at the price delta between a Stihl and a mail order Husky, throw in the added variables like arrogant dealers that don't know their products, and my lack of need for their post sales service, parts delivered to your door, mail order Husky's were very attractive. Especially when you throw in their air filtration and vibe control.

I don't know if it was the more open competion, but I have always found the mail order dealers (Bailey's, Bill's....)remarkably more friendly, knowledgable, and helpfull than most local dealers. Maybe I have just lived in the wrong places.

I just remembered why I have been searching out Dolmar dealers and shifting to their products. Similarly dissapointing dealers, superior performance, better prices, mail order parts.

I guess I am an oddity here, I think this is great!! Yes, I will miss th lower prices, and I hope it doesn't screw up Baileys. Two of my local Stihl dealers already carry Huskies, and one dealer is Husky/Dolmar. Maybe now he will start to carry a litle more of both brands!! I think the internet sales has given Husky a bad reputation, the 346xp I bought used, came from a gentelman that bought it online, it had problem after problem as far as I was concerned. Come to find out, the carb setting wasn't even close from the factory!! Now, I would like to at least believe, a competent dealer would have gfound this when they set the saw up, and fixed it then!! You would have had a much happier customer, and not had me badmouthing a really good saw like I did!!

Yes, it is going to cost me more money initially, but I am getting someone to stand behind their product, not telling me to take it somewhere else to get it resolved. And, I believe, getting a better product in the end!!!
You guys want to be tight and save a buck? Buy used!! The risk is all yo0u'res to take!!! I myself would rather have the support aof a half decent dealer, rather than some screen name on a computer!!

Ha, Manual I'm honest too, its my job to take every single penny you got and I'll do it to you as well as the next guy, honestly pays,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

10 to 15 percent below retail is honest, not going over is fair.

Now maybe you will find out how a chain saw is suppose to preform. ;)

Listen at you, time to give you some crow thats now proven fact. I guess your finding out now what I've said all along huh. Husky screwed their own dealers for years and now they wanna mend fences and woo them back although they seem to wanna stay in Sears and Lowes, hmmmm, as usual with them, job not complete. See Manual it gives me great pleasure to say I TOLD YOU SO,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

:hmm3grin2orange:
10 to 15 percent below retail is honest, not going over is fair.

How about what the MSRP price, seems thats gonna be the new rule on your side of the fence,wink! BTW Manual I sold a 361 last week for $540.00, $49.00 below list and guess what no one called saying I couldn't do that,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: To be fair though I'd give you a break too, just because I likes ya..

WOW. Good information Lakeside. I find it hard to believe that a Stihl dealer could survive on less than 30% margins. Incoming freight? Ouch. I know that if I place an order for 10+ units (stocking or otherwise) with Dolmar...there is no freight. I'm not a Stihl dealer so I'm gonna accept your words on this as the rule.

Incoming freight policies vary depending on the Stihl region. Ours is 8 units or $2000 if placed by on-line order - free freight; $3000 if fax or telephone.

This time of year, we place orders every two or three days (need to buy parts anyhow, a couple of units, and we pay freight.

We sell a lot of units annually, but it basically just makes enough to keep the lights on (o.k. rent, paychecks etc). Service makes up the difference.

Listen at you, time to give you some crow thats now proven fact. I guess your finding out now what I've said all along huh. Husky screwed their own dealers for years and now they wanna mend fences and woo them back although they seem to wanna stay in Sears and Lowes, hmmmm, as usual with them, job not complete. See Manual it gives me great pleasure to say I TOLD YOU SO,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Sorry ole friend, your to head strong to understand what I have been saying.
Read the other post.
Then when you can look at the whole forest and not the tree. you can stop telling me to eat crow.

Sorry ole friend, your to head strong to understand what I have been saying.
Read the other post.
Then when you can look look at the whole forest and not the tree. you can stop telling me to eat crow.

I see it as it is and has been for a long time. You can talk till your face turns blue but the facts are simple. I'm glad Husky is finally starting to look out for their walk in dealers although they still seem to be clinging to Sears and Lowes for that fast buck, job not complete, but they are making a effort finally to protect they're dealers and thats a good thing. May have one in the shed yet Manual.....

:hmm3grin2orange:

How about what the MSRP price, seems thats gonna be the new rule on your side of the fence,wink! BTW Manual I sold a 361 last week for $540.00, $49.00 below list and guess what no one called saying I couldn't do that,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: To be fair though I'd give you a break too, just because I likes ya..

just one ?:buttkick:

Stihl isn't going to gain anything over Husky in my area because of this. I have 10 Stihl dealers and 7 Husky dealers within a half hour drive of me. Some of the dealers sell both brands. The Husky dealers in my area sell the full Husky line and seem to do pretty good. Same thing with the Stihl dealers. I was thinking about buying my next saw on-line. If I have to buy it from a local dealer, I'll gladly do it. The best dealer in my area (as far as I'm concerned) sell Stihl, Husky and Jonsered and is the farthest away. They don't "PUSH" any brand over the other. Good people to deal with. That's why it's been hard for me to buy on-line instead of from them even though I'll save $80 or so on a Husky 353. I'm not going to buy until late spring or early summer.

I see it as it is and has been for a long time. You can talk till your face turns blue but the facts are simple. I'm glad Husky is finally starting to look out for their walk in dealers although they still seem to be clinging to Sears and Lowes for that fast buck, job not complete, but they are making a effort finally to protect they're dealers and thats a good thing. May have one in the shed yet Manual.....

why you old Sour dough, This is what I said..

Thats what they need to gain back and they know it.
Husky needs to make the saw shops more enticing.
Husky needs someone out there taking care of there warranty work.
They are losing with Sears, lowes and who ever sells on the internet.
take Sears for instances "Custormer satisfaction". That means they will exchange it if need be. who eats it then ? Husky does.
Therefore they Need Saw shops to make up that lose by doing more repairs for them and less refunds.
Huge growing pains on there part.

why you old Sour dough, This is what I said..

I know that Manual, I read your every word. What I'm saying is the reason why they are NOW doing that. They chose they're own path, nobody forced them to go net, box store and mail order. In the process alot of their dealers got hurt but that didn't seem to matter to them, apparently now it does and thats a good thing. I'm sure however alot of the folks that got hurt will say they made that bed so they can lay it.

I hope they get out of box stores too and take care of they're dealers like they used to years ago. They are on the right path, lets hope they walk the whole walk, not part way...

Back