The new Stihl dealer...painful experience

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could understand if it was dirty and had clearly been run through a log or 2 for testing...

They test ran it, starting it on the concrete...big whoop.

It had some scratches on it...big whoop

Wait till you make some cuts and the paint on the bar starts to come off. Wait till you get that thick grunge built up around the clutch. Wait til you get a good sized gouge in one of the covers, or chip off the corner of a cover. I guess you will probably have to throw it away at that point, as clearly it isnt worth having around, all dinged up and stuff.

After I spent a good 150 hours restoring my '89 John Deere 316, I took a peice of sandpaper and gave it a scuff on the rear fender deck. I knew if it remained pristine Id spend more time avoiding that first scratch than enjoying the machine like it was designed to be enjoyed! It's a working machine, its going to get a dent or two, its going to get dirty and have some scratches..if it didnt it would be on display in a museum somewhere.

If your saw was a 50 year old NOW survivor, and they scratched it, that would be a different story..but unless you intend to NEVER use it...id take the 10% and put it into a spare chain, some goggles, maybe some touch up paint if it means that much to you...

:sucks:

Heavenforbid that my tools look like they have been used!! And on the bottom to boot. Are you going to take it back when the bar paint comes off and demand they replace it under warranty?

More then just a few scratches

All the black paint on the handle that was in contact with the sidewalk was gone plus the case was ground down. I wasn't specific enough about the damage. It must have taken them a while to start the saw. I'm not the typical homeowner because I take care of my equipment, read the manual cover to cover many times over plus always on AS reading/learning and I already have my PPE. Am I picky yes but why should I accept anything less then a saw in non used condition.

I paid full retail and the free case came with the saw. No I didn't grind the saw then take it back. The damage was there when I walked out of the store. I thought I could live with it but I couldn't so I took it back.

As a dealer wouldn't you want a satisfied customer:confused:

Brian

Maybe you should take a look at The Echo lineup sold at HOME DEPOT...ya know all those saws are brand new, mint, still in the box. No scratches, no wear, never had fluids in em.

All the black paint on the handle that was in contact with the sidewalk was gone plus the case was ground down. I wasn't specific enough about the damage. It must have taken them a while to start the saw. I'm not the typical homeowner because I take care of my equipment, read the manual cover to cover many times over plus always on AS reading/learning and I already have my PPE. Am I picky yes but why should I accept anything less then a saw in non used condition.

I paid full retail and the free case came with the saw. No I didn't grind the saw then take it back. The damage was there when I walked out of the store. I thought I could live with it but I couldn't so I took it back.

As a dealer wouldn't you want a satisfied customer:confused:

Brian

As a repairman, and a future dealer...I will speak for my repairman brothers when I say that you can't please everyone, no matter how hard you may try.

Ive had customers Ive bent over backwards for, picking up after hours because they worked late, picking up on Sunday because they worked all week, etc etc...only to have them piss and moan over the bill, which is probably 20% cheaper than any other shop in town, and the work was done faster than any shop in town...and no other shop would be flexible on pickup times...

After I spent a good 150 hours restoring my '89 John Deere 316, I took a peice of sandpaper and gave it a scuff on the rear fender deck. I knew if it remained pristine Id spend more time avoiding that first scratch than enjoying the machine like it was designed to be enjoyed! ....................................

Your statement makes no sense whatsoever. If the item is going to be used then yes it will eventually get scratches. Your idea to intentionally damage it makes no sense whatsoever. Yes if the mower in your example is going to be used it will eventually get some scratches after some time but to damage it intentionally makes no sense whatsoever. Why would you spend time on money on something just to go out and damage it intentionally? If you bought a new car would you pour coffee on the seat right away?

Now after this sideline and back to what I believe the post was about. Should a buyer be concerned about scratches on the bottom of new saw that he/she will scratch eventually? Well in my opion yes he/she should be concerned as it shows the sellers mishandling. Does that constitute a new saw? I say no: just like everyone else said take the 10% and consider this to be a dealer that is willing to work with you and not against you..

If I roll into the Ford dealership to get a new F-350 and the bed is scratched am going to be mad? Yes I am but if he offers me a discount for damage I am going to inflict shortly I am going to take the discount.

Just my opinion,
Bill

As a repairman, and a future dealer...I will speak for my repairman brothers when I say that you can't please everyone, no matter how hard you may try.

Ive had customers Ive bent over backwards for, picking up after hours because they worked late, picking up on Sunday because they worked all week, etc etc...only to have them piss and moan over the bill, which is probably 20% cheaper than any other shop in town, and the work was done faster than any shop in town...and no other shop would be flexible on pickup times...

Red who do you work for, a dealer?

I know of a brand of saw you can have delivered to your house in a box.
and there will be no scratches on your new saw.:monkey:

I give you a hint; It's not Stihl.

I know of a brand of saw you can have delivered to your house in a box.
and there will be no scratches on your new saw.:monkey:

I give you a hint; It's not Stihl.

I'll give him another hint, its not built like a Stihl either,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I think Red is right, ake that sucker back, go to HD and get an Echo!!!
I think I am going to sell all my saws and buy Echos!!!! Hell Tom, start selling Echos!!! They gots to be good, Red said so!!!

Your statement makes no sense whatsoever. If the item is going to be used then yes it will eventually get scratches. Your idea to intentionally damage it makes no sense whatsoever. Yes if the mower in your example is going to be used it will eventually get some scratches after some time but to damage it intentionally makes no sense whatsoever. Why would you spend time on money on something just to go out and damage it intentionally? If you bought a new car would you pour coffee on the seat right away?

Now after this sideline and back to what I believe the post was about. Should a buyer be concerned about scratches on the bottom of new saw that he/she will scratch eventually? Well in my opion yes he/she should be concerned as it shows the sellers mishandling. Does that constitute a new saw? I say no: just like everyone else said take the 10% and consider this to be a dealer that is willing to work with you and not against you..

If I roll into the Ford dealership to get a new F-350 and the bed is scratched am going to be mad? Yes I am but if he offers me a discount for damage I am going to inflict shortly I am going to take the discount.

Just my opinion,
Bill

When I bought the tractor in 2004, it was a total rust bucket, but it purred. I put it to work, but it looked so bad...

Total sandblasting, engine was brought up to par, every part meticulously cleaned, new hardware, decals, primer, paint, clear coat...

If I went out to put it to work, I wouldnt have wanted to cut close to a bush for fear of getting that first scratch on my perfect baby. So I decided that if I went ahead and gave her the first scratch, I could use it like I wanted to, it wouldnt be perfect anymore.

It's not like Itook a hammer and smashed the hood. Its not like I took a scredriver and scratxhed it down to the metal on the fender. I took some 800 grit and gave it a small scuff. Its a mental thing. I nthe back of my mind now, its not perfect, I dont fret a new scratch.

She works...she works darn hard, and she looks good doing it.

Comparing a new car to a restored Garden tractor isnt a fair comparison. If I went out and bought a new JD X740 tractor, no, I would not scratch it intentionally. Id have money invested, but no blood sweat and tears...its not the same as restoring something.

THALL-
I work for myself.

In over 3 years of being in business, IVe only had 2 customers I couldnt satisfy. One guy had 2 old Craftsman trimmers that were antiquated and well worn. One was the plastic shelled "whacker" style. In taking the case screws out, the little plastic towers the threads were in broke off around the engine, from age and heat no doubt. Not my fault, I called and explained to him the situation, and he immediatly accused me of using a power drill to remove the screws. I told him I would try some special plastic epoxy I had, but no guarentees.

The other trimmer was about 15 years old, poulan style, Muffler on the rear back, carb under the tank, tank on top. It needed the carb rebuilt, new fuel line, and a new flexible drive cable. I knew the bill was going to be rather high for such an old saw, but he insisted even after I warned him of this.

Both trimmers started and ran perfectly before I set off to deliver them. But the epoxy hadnt fully set on the whacker style trimmer and you had to start it on the ground as the handle was part of the barely mounted body half.

I showed up and explained the way he needed to start the whacker trimmer and he ignored me, held it out in one hand and pulled the rope with the other...of course it fell apart. He kicked it and threw it into his garage, yelling and screaming about how he should have known better than to let a "kid" work on his stuff.

Then he picked up the poulan style...primed it once, but didnt choke it...He pulled a few times, and when it didnt start he threw it across the yard screaming about how "that didnt f-ing surprise him" So I picked it up, choked it, and it cranked on 2 pulls, ran perfect. He exclaimed he never had to choke it before...

So i gave him the bill, which with parts, labor, and tax came to some 117.00.

Install new bump head
new flex cable
2 carb rebuilds
new fuel line on one
and 2 new plugs.

He threw the bill at me told me "thats a joke" and "I aint payin"...

So I knocked off 30 dollars...then 50 dollars..then just charged him for the parts..and he agreed to pay it...

He started to pay in cash...then decided to pay in a check. This was on Sunday mind you.

The next morning I was at his bank to hammer the check when they opened. I knew what his plan was. Cancel payment before I deposited it in my bank.

They guy wanted a free ride..both trimmers worked fine, I did the best I could with what I had to work with. I used both without problem for a good 5 minutes.

The other guy I couldnt please was a guy with a Chinese moped thing...he needed the carb cleaned, so I did it. Same day service, on a Sunday, it was his only mode on transportation.

Did it, it worked, rode it down the road, pretty peppy to be honest.

Delivered it, and I had to drive him 20 minuted to his bank, IN MY TRUCK..so he could get money to pay the bill.

I get back from dropping him off at his house, and he has called me 20 times leaving obscene phone calls to the extent that I was "a con artist" and a "lousy cheat". The bike wouldnt start...apparently.

So I drive back down there and its getting gas, but no spark. So I take it back to the shop here, cant make it spark to save my life. I figured it had to have been a bad coil, because I bypassed all the safety crap and still got no spark. I cant get parts for the bike, heck I couldnt even find a name on it, nothing. He had bought it in china..and had it imported, it was a TRUE china bike. I took it to him and explained that it wasnt sparking, which was totally unrelated to the first repair I made, which was a water and gunk filled carb bowl. He said I needed to refund his money....

I refused and he told me I needed to find him transportation then...lol

I told him from the word go if it needed parts, he was SOL...

Thank goodness.:hmm3grin2orange:

Hahahaha, that brought cha back didn't it,LOLOLOLOL

Manual I went out in the shed yesterday evening to put the EXAMPLES back together, you know those saws that were featured in the pic comparison last week. Low and behold I find one saw leaking oil on my table and its not the Stihl. Not alot but enough for me to say, yup, not built like a Stihl,:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

I think Red is right, ake that sucker back, go to HD and get an Echo!!!
I think I am going to sell all my saws and buy Echos!!!! Hell Tom, start selling Echos!!! They gots to be good, Red said so!!!

LOL, what I find funny is I kinda agree with Kyle, the damn saw should look like new if its new, simple as that. No scratches, a new looking saw all over.

What I find odd is Kyle complaining about Ace when they offered him 10% back, he said no, they say ok, a new saw for you. I don't see the big deal in why he felt Ace was so bad. True they screwed up and scracthed his saw and then turn around and admitted it and they're gonna make it right so whats the problem, I just don't see it.

Manual

It leaks oil, the seam on the gas tank is busted, now leaking gas, the bi-ch won't start, the bar nuts fell off on they're own, all the vib springs have broken while sitting on the table, the carb fell off in the floor, I tell ya that 372 aint much. One utter thing, gotcha sucker,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Nite yaw...

If it's as bad as he says, I would not have been happy either. But the 10% is a good incentive. But no, it should not have gone out like that!
And if it's as bad as he says, it makes me wonder if somehing isn't/wasn't right with the saw to start with!!! I have started saws on the driveway quite a few time prior to going out to cut, and have yet to damage one in the nature, or to the extent, he has described!

And I will have to say ACE is not the place. I purchased from them because they were the only place that would sell me just the powerhead. :sucks: While making my purchase a 20in bar found its way onto the saw somehow. They had to order the saw because the biggest they had on the shelf was a MS310. Went to pick up the saw today with the free case. They had already started the saw and sent me on my way. So much for starting the saw in front of the customer and showing them how to use it. Thank god this :newbie: knows how to read a manual.

Over lunch I took the saw back to ACE because it had scratches on the bottom of the saw. The counterperson said they don't have alot of space so they started my saw on the SIDEWALK. We can cover that up with some touch up paint and your saw will be more scratched up after 2 months of use so don't worry about it were the responses I received. :laugh: I explained to them that I just spent $$$ and asked them if they went to purchase a new car and it came back with scratches would that be acceptable? Even though I should have not been calm I politely asked for a new saw. Then the person said would I take 10% off the price? I probably should have taken it but I again politely asked for a new saw.

The new saw will be here tommorrow. This is a nice hardware store close to where I work but certainly not a place to take an item for service.

Brian

You know Kile,
I can understand your disappointment on your saw purchase.
You buy something you want it to look new.
I am sure that Ace store learned something today. they should watch out for in the future.
10% off was a fair market discount for damaged goods.
My self
if the scratches are only on the bottom I would have settled for the discount.
seeing that you did not heres a test I would do, to see How honest that story is.
After you get your new saw. go back the next day and see if the store discounted that saw for 10% when they put it back on the shelf.
But you got to tell us too.
Next question,
Why won't you take that saw of yours back to the store for service ?

Another question,
Are you also a farmer ? Do you grow Pioneer Corn ?
If so how many day is the yield.
Best we can do up here is 90 day and the corn is no way near as big as Iowa corn.

new should be new.no exceptions.

LOL, what I find funny is I kinda agree with Kyle, the damn saw should look like new if its new, simple as that. No scratches, a new looking saw all over.

What I find odd is Kyle complaining about Ace when they offered him 10% back, he said no, they say ok, a new saw for you. I don't see the big deal in why he felt Ace was so bad. True they screwed up and scracthed his saw and then turn around and admitted it and they're gonna make it right so whats the problem, I just don't see it.

some people save up for a saw and it is a decent investment.

they did admit to screwing up and offered to make good.more than most would do these days.

Back