the ultimate Stih flippy cap poll ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your opinion on the Stihl flippy caps

• Total voters
If a man can't use a flippy cap, he don't need to be using a saw thats for sure. :laugh:

They can break, so can regular caps. I use them all day without problems. I don't understand how anyone could not be able to use one. :ices_rofl:

Last edited:
I feel that its the opposite. After screwing a cap in so many times one gets an auto pilot kind of thing where he judt does it wouthout thionking much.

With a conventional cap, that works 100% of the time.

Not so with flippy caps at all...

I feel that its the opposite. After screwing a cap in so many times one gets an auto pilot kind of thing where he judt does it wouthout thionking much.

With a conventional cap, that works 100% of the time.

Not so with flippy caps at all...

I would say more like 99% for regular caps because I have had one mess up. Husky cap that the O-ring quit sealing. But it was an easy fix.

Once you learn how to screw the cap to just the right tightness you usually don't need a wrench to loosen them up. I like the Stihl caps better because I can grip them with my hand and not just my fingertips like the Husky caps.

I was'nt really saying flippys are any better, just that they should be idiot-proof unless they're broken.:laugh:

LOL!!!

This one still going?

I thought about this thread yesterday while fighting the oil cap on the MS250 for the upteenth time since replacing the POS the last time, and right next to the bench is an old Super2 with the original caps on it...paint is wore off the thing , but the caps still work fine. LOL!!!

Then I looked over at the Homie XL and dang if it dosn't have the original caps on it...and they still work fine.

If Stihl was given the opportunity, they would put Hinges on rocks, and call it an improvement.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

LOL!!!

This one still going?

I thought about this thread yesterday while fighting the oil cap on the MS250 for the upteenth time since replacing the POS the last time, and right next to the bench is an old Super2 with the original caps on it...paint is wore off the thing , but the caps still work fine. LOL!!!

Then I looked over at the Homie XL and dang if it dosn't have the original caps on it...and they still work fine.

If Stihl was given the opportunity, they would put Hinges on rocks, and call it an improvement.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Or just make a screw on cap with a flip up gripper for Pete's sake! :laugh:

they pretty much are idiot proof, besides the fact that sometimes they puke oil allover the place.

I never used a wrench on screw caps besides in the morning with a cold saw, that oil cap gets pretty snug.

Although i see guys cranking down on caps with their wrenches often..

Or just make a screw on cap with a flip up gripper for Pete's sake! :laugh:

Helll yeah!!!:clap::clap:

Use a common O-ring, and mould in a scrench slot under the flip gripper, so if ya bust the widget, it still can be used until you get back to the barn or wherever ya keep spares...and only make one size.
I about laughed my short and curlys off when I found out Stihl makes multiple sized flippys.

We coulda saved them a couple Billion dollars over 20 years in production costs alone LOL!!!

Flippy caps are akin to a Big 'ol Goiter, on an otherwise good looking gal.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

they pretty much are idiot proof, besides the fact that sometimes they puke oil allover the place.

I never used a wrench on screw caps besides in the morning with a cold saw, that oil cap gets pretty snug.

Although i see guys cranking down on caps with their wrenches often..

Yep, using the wrench to tighten them is where people go wrong. But if you have alot of oil on the cap or your hands, it does make it easier only if you know where to quit tightening it. I have flippy and regular caps and do like them both. Really don't pay much attention to it and never gave it much thought until this forum. Now I've always got loads of crap about muffler mods and flippy caps, carb tuning running thru my heads. Thanks alot guys!:censored::)

Yep, using the wrench to tighten them is where people go wrong. But if you have alot of oil on the cap or your hands, it does make it easier only if you know where to quit tightening it. I have flippy and regular caps and do like them both. Really don't pay much attention to it and never gave it much thought until this forum. Now I've always got loads of crap about muffler mods and flippy caps, carb tuning running thru my heads. Thanks alot guys!:censored::)

:biggrinbounce2: No problem :biggrinbounce2:

Stihl is quite simple.

If the model # starts in 0,its a great saw. If it doesn'tit's a POS

the greatest cap ever (designed by WadePatton):

stop me if you've heard this one before.

Has top made like public-bathroom fasteners-one way only BUT reversed so that one _cannot_ engage a tool to tighten them (therefore finger only eh). Tool would be shank of scrench/screwdriver laid across the cap. Tool ONLY allows purchase in LOOSENING direction.

It's made of a single moulding of the bomb-proof black plastic used now for what 20 years, has right hand threading and a Dolmar-esque retainer (they're sooo easy). And all models for all saws from every continent take the same size cap and seal.

SEAL is O-ring. Buying replacement caps with non-renewable washer seals is hogscat of top order. Renew a dozen seals for the price of one flip-meister-flipenstein cap/always having a spare seal in the toolbox-how many flippidippities are you going to stock? thought so... badaboom. takes bow.:clap:

I thought the great and mighty orange over white company so many kneel before would have only used idiot caps on consumer buzzboxes. wrongo. i'm in the OH,X.X camp eh. LET vintage ROAR!

and eff the ****** flippies in case someone missed that. (my mom has a flippy cap saw):hmm3grin2orange:

okay she has an OH,XX saw too, so she's still cool, yo.

on edit:

worn/cracked/nicked seals are probably _why_ anyone ever used a wrench to tighten a cap in the first place. fresh seals-either type only require the finger pressure of a 5-year-old. the only two caps i've every replaced in my (non-professional) time have been two Stihl's. One to renew a seal, and the other a broken flippy that i failed to take serious when i used it the first time. i failed to sit down and take out the manual and observe all the warnings, schematics, directions, achtungs, and precautions, because i have found most of those sorts of things to be utterly useless and boring for a person with a touch of common sense and a pile of ADD.

and if your hands are too wet greasy oily to screw down a cap, then maybe they're too slick to operate a chainsaw. grab some dust and wipe them off eh.

I do like the flip-up GRIPPER idea above and wouldn't mind it being adapted to my (now patent applied for) design UPON the condition that the flippy slips at a VERY low torque tightening (plenty to engage seal properly) while providing full direct torque when opening-but threads remain simple RH no gimmicks, no notches, no measuring, no mess.

wp

hey, my dog just rolled up and said:

"There are two kinds of Stihl operators, those who have busted a flippy and those that are going to."

he's so funny. dang dog.

Last edited:
I couldn't make up my mind, so I went with one of each.

IMG_4681.jpg

"There are two kinds of Stihl operators, those who have busted a flippy and those that are going to."

he's so funny. dang dog.

Wade, I'm 99 percent positive there was alcohol involved in that post. But your dog saved you. I was in the "flippy lover group" until I had to saw the rest of a day with a petrol inflamed crotch. I am now a firmly entrenched believer of a non-flippy cap society. Well stated dang dog.

drankin' and postin' (DAP or PUI)

aye, more to it than that. I was attacked by a migraine this evening and had a couple three things working to ease my head...feeling better now.

hope it was entertaining, i had fun. cheers yall!

now

if i could just get that dog to open the beers he brings me. :rock:

Last edited:
stop me if you've heard this one before.

Has top made like public-bathroom fasteners-one way only BUT reversed so that one _cannot_ engage a tool to tighten them (therefore finger only eh). Tool would be shank of scrench/screwdriver laid across the cap. Tool ONLY allows purchase in LOOSENING direction.

It's made of a single moulding of the bomb-proof black plastic used now for what 20 years, has right hand threading and a Dolmar-esque retainer (they're sooo easy). And all models for all saws from every continent take the same size cap and seal.

SEAL is O-ring. Buying replacement caps with non-renewable washer seals is hogscat of top order. Renew a dozen seals for the price of one flip-meister-flipenstein cap/always having a spare seal in the toolbox-how many flippidippities are you going to stock? thought so... badaboom. takes bow.:clap:

I thought the great and mighty orange over white company so many kneel before would have only used idiot caps on consumer buzzboxes. wrongo. i'm in the OH,X.X camp eh. LET vintage ROAR!

and eff the ****** flippies in case someone missed that. (my mom has a flippy cap saw):hmm3grin2orange:

okay she has an OH,XX saw too, so she's still cool, yo.

on edit:

worn/cracked/nicked seals are probably _why_ anyone ever used a wrench to tighten a cap in the first place. fresh seals-either type only require the finger pressure of a 5-year-old. the only two caps i've every replaced in my (non-professional) time have been two Stihl's. One to renew a seal, and the other a broken flippy that i failed to take serious when i used it the first time. i failed to sit down and take out the manual and observe all the warnings, schematics, directions, achtungs, and precautions, because i have found most of those sorts of things to be utterly useless and boring for a person with a touch of common sense and a pile of ADD.

and if your hands are too wet greasy oily to screw down a cap, then maybe they're too slick to operate a chainsaw. grab some dust and wipe them off eh.

I do like the flip-up GRIPPER idea above and wouldn't mind it being adapted to my (now patent applied for) design UPON the condition that the flippy slips at a VERY low torque tightening (plenty to engage seal properly) while providing full direct torque when opening-but threads remain simple RH no gimmicks, no notches, no measuring, no mess.

wp

he's so funny. dang dog.

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:WadePatton for president !!!! :cheers:

The way I see it, those flippy caps are supposed to work like an SLR camera's bayonet lens mount. I've never ever had an issue with any of my cameras whereas I have to pay attention to the flippy cap. They should be engineered to work without thinking about it, otherwise they are just a neat looking but not overly practical device. FWIW, I like the good old screw cap on my Dolmars.

Take 'em or Leave 'em

I have had my fuel cap bust. Friday night just got the saw back from warranty repair, gassed it up to make a few cuts before sundown, Put the cap in turned it, flipped it down, and BANG parts go flyin'.

Next mornig off to my dealer (out of stock), 7 miles back home, and 7 miles to the other dealer in the opposite direction, and $4 later I have the cap.

Next month I am at my dealer, mention that I had to buy a cap from another dealer, he says "round up your parts and bring the busted one to me they been on recall for a a while". Apparently they react poorly to E-10 (imagine that) Anyhoo. I now have a spare fuel cap.

The other dealer moved to my bad list for not telling me (or knowing) there was a recall. :mad2:

The pre/post recalled caps are easy to tell side by side but I cant remember how now, the new ones are deeper and the letter inside is different but can't recall what....

I was nervous as heck the next few tanks, but its all good now I guess. I would be happier w/ non-flippies if I didn't need to open w. a screnc. Just seems a pain.

Better than the screw in caps on pop's craftsman/poulan. Put it in hand tight need a #@*$ impact to loosen it it seems. :mad2:

dw

Back