The weather outside is frightful but the fire is so delightful

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a fundraiser for a local church today, pheasant hunt, 40 mph winds, 5+ farenhieght, lots a beer. can't get imgur to co-op or i'd have some good snowy pics. Pure fun. I love winter, come home to 80 degree house. All day long, near blizzard conditions. I'll sleep good tonight.

Ya sure that its a Doug Fir, a 25 incher should get near a cord an a half of wood, with out any limb wood, if there is any...

Well, of course I can't be 100% sure, I'm not a western boy :D
All I have to go on is the fact that no one around here can tell me exactly what they are (idiots just call 'em "pine" trees), internet pictures and the "book".

The one I cut up wasn't very tall, at some point in its life a good share of the top must have snapped off in a wind storm, it had modified into two small trunks growing side by side. It was maybe 45-feet and the 25-inches was right at the roots.

If ya' look at my third picture you'll see three of them standing behind the garage... those go about 50/55-feet and are some of the smaller ones. If'n you could pan to the right you would see 8-10 more with a couple standing near 100-feet. After that they angle off at a 45-degree angle right through the middle of the large grove (I'm told they used to border an apple orchard that was abandoned during the dust bowl/depression era). Most all of 'em have dropped their limbs just below the canopy, so you have 30/40-feet of limbless trunk, and when ya' cut into a green one it has a unique smell... They're just "different" than most any other evergreen in these parts.

Last edited:
LOL, while I love a nice snow fall just as much as the next guy, we are running around in t-shirts, some in shorts and it hit 70 today:hmm3grin2orange:, only downside to this weather for me is wood sales have slowed down some but not to bad, you guys stay safe and warm up there in that stuff

Roy

Metrodome roof collapses

MOA_field_Dallman_pic_20101212083502_320_240.JPG

That hasn't happened since not long after they built the place. Sure the cry is gonna be "we need a new stadium" again.

On the good side, the Minnesota stations will now be carrying da Packer game!

Goin out to clear the yard. Will get some cleanup pics up later.

"On the good side, the Minnesota stations will now be carrying da Packer game!"""
YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sure hope so!!! My locals are out of Duluth.

"On the good side, the Minnesota stations will now be carrying da Packer game!"""
YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sure hope so!!! My locals are out of Duluth.

Can't say for sure, just know Fox9 outta the cities has it on. They're reporting now that Vikes-Giants will be played in Detroit tomorrow night.

Wish we got that here in my part of PA...all we ever get is ice storms

We got a good amount last season-didn't you? I still remember snowblowing paths for the stray cats outside and so we could walk to the garage. ALL of the cats are inside now (10, oh boy) but we still have to walk to the garage lol.....IF we get more snow this season-we'll see!

If we do I'll send it up your way Pony! :greenchainsaw:

[Snow's pretty well done, but wind is coming out of the North now, guessing 20-25mph and temp is headed south, currently 15° here, but 69° in the kitchen (coldest part of the house) and I'm lounging around in shorts and barefoot. Gotta love that wood heat right now![/QUOTE]

I was lucky enough to dodge the bullet, only had about 3 or 4" of snow. The main storm stayed about 60 miles south of us. The way the wind was blowing yesterday, I couldnt imagine getting a foot and a half of snow also. The few inches we did get drifted like crazy. It will take a lot of plowing to clean up the Minneapolis area. The temps last night stayed moderate at -5, with a high today around 1 or 2 only. But it sounds like -20 for tonight, but I'm ready. With the sun shining in the house today I wont even have to fire up my wood furnace. The sun will hold the temp in my house at around 73 until it sets. I love my southern exposure.

Dissapointed so far.

It's just now starting to dump fine snow.
But if the wind and cold hold up, the Lake effect slop will kick in later this afternoon.

I dunno about the Pack. They are looking like the Lions normally do so far, and the Lions are playing football for a change.

Don't y'all worry too much though, the second half is where Detroit always manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. LOL!!

Gonna make a huge batch of Molassass cookies and take a weather day.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It's been snowing pretty steady since 3 am here,wet slushy good packing snow.

Now the wind is blowing hard out of the north and the snow is flying horizontally.

Plowed the drive for the 1st time this season and from the looks of it will be back out there in a few hours.

I went out this morning and found a winter wonderland!

attachment.php

My log pile is in there somewhere!

attachment.php

A little snow drift over the wood pile

attachment.php

It's gonna take awhile to shovel that out

attachment.php

There is actually a car buried under that snow bank

It was brutally cold and windy this morning and I felt just like Grizzly Adams as I fed the boiler. Now, 7 hours later I'm done plowing snow and ready to go partake of my in-floor heat downstairs. :blob2:

Here's a little vid my wife shot yesterday when she went to get the mail.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uBHhSxhlapY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uBHhSxhlapY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Man, I get the shivers just looking at it. Horizontal snow was blowing around till after dark and the wind hasn't let up completely yet. Wind speed is down quite a bit though. It was a heck of a storm!

:cheers:

path to the wood shed

It took about two and a half hours to get the driveway cleared and a path to the wood shed opened up. Be nice to see some pics of your cleared paths to your wood piles. Only got around 10-12 inches this weekend.

Anybody see the clip of the Metrodome roof collapsing during the Packers/Lions game?

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4456279/inside-metrodome-as-roof-collapses/

That's a whole lotta slop spilling on the 20 yd line.
Ground crew is gonna be PISSED!

Still no monumental snowfall, just lake effect and 20-30mph winds comin' off the lake. Looks like the lake protected us this time.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Anybody see the clip of the Metrodome roof collapsing during the Packers/Lions game?

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4456279/inside-metrodome-as-roof-collapses/

That's a whole lotta slop spilling on the 20 yd line.
Ground crew is gonna be PISSED!

Still no monumental snowfall, just lake effect and 20-30mph winds comin' off the lake. Looks like the lake protected us this time.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yea, I think the lake saved us. The local weather guy stated that the storm didn't produce as expected, & flat out said " I was wrong on this one". I was really impressed by that. We got 3-4" of snow only, & a really stiff north wind. House is 72* furnace is loaded for the overnight burn & I'm off to bed. A C

Latest posts

Back