Thinking about buying a 540xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We didn't do any type of break in just opened the box and run it.only thing is mine seem to vapor lock if left in direct sunlight on 85+ days but so do alot of my huskys

We didn't do any type of break in just opened the box and run it.only thing is mine seem to vapor lock if left in direct sunlight on 85+ days but so do alot of my huskys

Mine would not idle at all if i did that out of the box. I had to run the break in procedure with ripping cuts along a log for a few minutes straight, before it sorted itself out and idled properly. After that it was running great! :) I have no trouble with vapor lock if left sitting. Only thing is if you leave it off for more than say 8-10 mins, you gotta pull the choke on then off to set the fast idle, or else it will be a pain to start again.

The 540 is a great saw. The only problem I've had is a broken spring mount on gas take side. I own 2 200t's , 338xp ,and the echo 355 and 540 is my go to climbing saw. I do think the 200 has a little bit more speed in large cuts though, the better balance of the 540 makes up for it.

Dennis

The 540 is a great saw. The only problem I've had is a broken spring mount on gas take side. I own 2 200t's , 338xp ,and the echo 355 and 540 is my go to climbing saw. I do think the 200 has a little bit more speed in large cuts though, the better balance of the 540 makes up for it.

Dennis

I have a 338XPT and love it, but the 540 also gets grabbed for almost every climb now. I am hoping to try a Echo 355 one day but after using 200T's at work and my own 338XPT and now the 540 maybe i won't like it as much as i should? I know it is a very good saw for the money. My 540 is cutting a lot faster than any of our 200's at work as they are all broke except one, and it is in the shop again for persistent Chinese carb issues. Wont start, then will start but wont rev up, then stalls under load, then fuel comes out the air intake and then it wont start again? :dizzy: Even when it is not playing up i think it would be a very fair fight! My boss is a blind Stihl head through and through and he think the 540 has more power in the cut than his 200T when it was working 100%.

That spring is something i have been aware of because it does not have the fabric strap to limit the springs movement range. Have tried to be gentle on it but if it breaks i will mod it with a strap or something so it does not happen again. Still it is better than the 201T where the front flimsy spring simply attaches the handle end to the saw body. Looked dodgy to me when i first held one. Many climbers i know with a 201T are saying it has broke at least once so far. No saw is perfect, i just hope i don't have major issues with my 540 and that i get a decent run out of it. Considering that my 338XPT cost me $350 with only approx 15 hours on it and it is still going strong almost 5 years later it has a lot to live up to!

I just picked up a 200 a couple days ago and I'll tell you what I don't think I ever wana run another top handle. Anybody wana buy a 201? lol

Update on my 540.

Been using it all last week and over the weekend and all day today. Last weekend we had 60+ mph winds and then early last week we had 10 inches of rain in 36 hours. :dizzy: Been some crazy weather thats for sure. Long and short is that there are many uprooted and broken trees all over my area. Been using the 540 and leaving the 338XPT at home on purpose just so i am forced to use it. It has been getting better and better. Stronger in the cut and more throttle response every tank. I have said this in other posts but i will say it again. The AT saws i have been using seem to not bog down when fully buried compared to similar power non AT saws. This 540 does not loose revs and cutting speed when buried in the cut to the same extent that my 338 would. It still can be a little temperamental starting if it has been sitting for over 5 mins. Seems to be getting easier to start each tank though. Very happy with it's power wit the 14" bar and 91VXL chain, it out cuts my stock 338 on same bar and chain by a large margin. I was very happy with the 338 until i ran this 540! I am still getting used to the feel compared to the 338 which i am used to more, but with the techlite bar honestly the weight difference is not much at all and balance is ok. Runs for quite a while on a tank also. I have not timed it but i am always pleased to check the fuel on instinct when i think it is getting really low and there is still around a 1/5 tank left. I think it would run a fair bit longer than my 338 at a guess. Big thing that is way better compared to the 338 is the auto return stop switch. It is always where you expect it to be. With the 338 because mine is so well used the stop switch, which doubles as the choke lever, doesn't crisply lock in each position. As a result i would find myself constantly looking to check visually which position the switch was in because i could not feel it locking into place when turning it back on for example. No such problems with the 540. I was concerned when i first opened it at how flimsy the saw lanyard attachment hook looked. No problems even when dropping the saw onto the lanyard from waist height. It is obviously plenty strong enough for its purpose but it looks kinda cheapo compared to the attachment point in the handle on my 338 and even my echo 360T.

All in all a very powerful, fuel efficient and well designed saw. :clap:

I've had 3 201ts and have 2 540 right now, also have had a few 200ts. I rank them 1. 540 2. 200t 3. 201t --- We've had a lot of issues with our 201ts such as idling up a lot and stalling out also. The 200t is an awesome saw and it rips but I just love my new huskys they have so much power and they are very dependable. A little back heavy, and a lil longer to warm up and get tuned in but I have to say it is a better saw. No fanboy #### involved.

I've never been a fan of any Husky top handles
Me either but the 540 is easing it's way beyond the 200ts and 355t just picked up 2 great condition 020ts in my opinion their the best no flipy caps. The warm up time really bothers me. I feel it makes me look like a burned out Craigslist king using a saw that's not running right and that's enough to make me put it on the bottom shelf. Can anyone fix the long warm up time homeowners usually watch the first 3 or 4 cuts get scared and go inside. My 540 is hunting for a tune...

Usually warm my saw I'm gonna climb with up in the yard before we go to our first job that way its warm and when im ready 1 pull and we're rippin' lol

Usually warm my saw I'm gonna climb with up in the yard before we go to our first job that way its warm and when im ready 1 pull and we're rippin' lol
Me too the 540 just needs much more time...

I've had 3 201ts and have 2 540 right now, also have had a few 200ts. I rank them 1. 540 2. 200t 3. 201t --- We've had a lot of issues with our 201ts such as idling up a lot and stalling out also. The 200t is an awesome saw and it rips but I just love my new huskys they have so much power and they are very dependable. A little back heavy, and a lil longer to warm up and get tuned in but I have to say it is a better saw. No fanboy #### involved.

That is pretty accurate to my experience also. 200T is a nice strong built and strong running saw. Right when we needed a new saw from Stihl due to the 200t's getting harder to maintain they drop the original 201T on us and convince us to part with $1249 AUD and promise it is every bit as good as to 200t. Saw is crappy and we want answers from Stihl. Takes ages and then they finally release an upgrade kit (at our cost) to fix what the knowledgeable on AS already knew, advance the ignition timing. New build saws (april 2014?) are finally made with the fix, but in the meantime we need to put food on the table and are going no where waiting for the 200t's to be fixed yet again. Sorry Stihl not acceptable. 540 has cut speed buried at least as good as 200T and runs when you need it to, but needs a bit longer to warm up when started. Yes the 540 is not perfect. But it is here and it works.

Me either but the 540 is easing it's way beyond the 200ts and 355t just picked up 2 great condition 020ts in my opinion their the best no flipy caps. The warm up time really bothers me. I feel it makes me look like a burned out Craigslist king using a saw that's not running right and that's enough to make me put it on the bottom shelf. Can anyone fix the long warm up time homeowners usually watch the first 3 or 4 cuts get scared and go inside. My 540 is hunting for a tune...

Me too the 540 just needs much more time...

Huh? This really isn't that hard to get your head around is it? o_O If it takes longer to warm up then start it up earlier so it will be warm by the time you need it. ;)
Any saw, or engine for that matter, should be warmed before being used anyway. Any saw will run better if it is warmed up. If this one needs to warm up for a bit longer to run right, well do it. Simple really. Others have got it figured.

Have it started a couple minutes before or while you gear up, setting a throw line, or etc,,,,
Jeff

Does any one else think it could put out a bit more bar oil or just me ?

No offense but I think it is just you. :) I was doing a large blackwood removal the other day and i really was impressed with how much oil was getting out to the chain. Usually this blackwood will mess up chains real bad with sap and heat from it being so darn dense and tough to cut. It can even make a mockery out of bigger saws with much larger flow oil pumps. With the T540 I could easily use all the oil well before the fuel is empty. I had to turn the oil pump back down a bit to be more even with the fuel rate.

Latest posts

Back