Thinking I found a deal...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olyeller

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I went sniffing after a Stihl 038 Magnum today for $250, but when I got there it was pretty beat up; broken top bar fastened to the chassis with a screw, top cover melted above the muffler and a bad plug lead, which lead to problematical starting. Oil and crud everywhere; it's obviously led a hard life, so I decided to pass on that. Then the guy mentions he's got a "46" and brings out a MS 460 that's in real good shape, with a 28-inch bar with almost all of the paint, although teeth are pretty worn and have been sharpened unevenly. Probably have to toss the chain and get a new one. He wanted $500 for the 460 and wouldn't budge on the price. I didn't have that much on me, so I left without anything.

Now late tonight he just texted me to say he'll take $450 for the 460, and I'm very tempted. I've been thinking about replacing my MS 390 with a 460. The 460 would pair up well with my MS 260 for the hard oak firewood I cut up. Is this too good of a deal to pass up? Any thoughts from the crowd? Not many big saws coming up used for sale in these parts.

The hard part is, if my wife finds out about this, she may cut me into little pieces with the 460 and turn me into fish food! But I'm thinking it's easier to ask for forgiveness than seek permission...

If you're going to ask people on here, you may just as well buy the saw...

If the saw's in good shape it's probably worth it, if you are actually going to make it pay for itself no reason not to buy it.

Then you can sell the 039/ 390.

If you're going to ask people on here, you may just as well buy the saw...

If the saw's in good shape it's probably worth it, if you are actually going to make it pay for itself no reason not to buy it.

Then you can sell the 039/ 390.

:agree2:

Assuming it's still in good shape, that 390 should bring back a decent chunk of that money.

If you need the saw then it's a good enough price, but if just want another saw for the collection, then it's, to me, not that great a deal.

I'm sure your wife would want a 460 for "Mother's Day".Just be creative when you gift wrap it .

I thought of that, but he's looking for cash. My 390 is in pristine shape, so yes, I can probably make up a lot of the 460's price. But I've just got to cover up the funds to "bridge" the purchase and the sale for now.

If it's as pristine as you say, I wouldn't surprised to see it fetch at least $350 on the bay. That leaves you at $100 to upgrade from a 390 to a 460.

I would buy the MS460 in your situation and of course get a new Stihl chain for it.

Ebay your MS390 or put it up for sale in the Classifieds here. If your saw is very clean, then you should get a fair price for it.

Good luck on your transactions.

[ But I'm thinking it's easier to ask for forgiveness than seek permission...[/QUOTE]

I agree, and you are only here once, buy the saw enjoy it, the good woman will understand,, I hope!!

I've tried that with new guns. She's on to me. :cry:

Brave, dumb or do you own a really, really nice leather chesterfield (couch)?

Since you have taken good care of your 390 I think we can take dumb out of the equation.

For everyone else reading this thread:

DON'T BUY YOUR WIFE ANYTHING THAT SHE CAN SHOOT YOU WITH OR CUT YOU UP INTO SMALL PIECES WITH FOR MOTHERS DAYS, it will end poorly.

What is the right thing to do?

I will never, ever understand this mentality... then again it's your marriage... :confused:

Gary

:agree2:_____________:agree2:______________:agree2:

Gary.....out of rep for you.....good post!

My wife and I talk about just about any purchase above $5-10.00.

I see marriage as a teaim effort. The trust level between my wife and I would be blown out of the water if I bought a saw right now.

OP Think about it. Do what you think is right.

Dan

Does the word team look right with an (i) in it?

Yes, and that's a good point. I'm thinking he's run everything hard and hung it up wet. So I'm reluctant to jump on a "deal" that will turn out to not be a deal.

Here's a better solution. Put the 390 up for sale. If/when it sells, buy the 460. The wifey might not be so judgmental if she see's your able to get the $350 from your current saw.

And yes, I'll echo others comments, the adage works well in business...not so much for the home life.

Back