Thinking of buyin a Stihl ms390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stipes

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just wanted some advice from some people that own this model saw...I dont want to wear my Pro Mac 700 out,,and want to get something to replace it with about the same power to it..Been really lookin at one,,and just wondered if it has good power and no probs with this model,,so why I ask here,,word of mouth and experance means alot to me...Thanks....

Well, let me be the fisrt to advice you to get a 361... many others here will as well. I looked at the 390 some time ago and opted for the 361. Better, lighter, and more metal in the right places. I have a 290, the baby brother of the 390 on the same chassis. I used (and stihl use) that saw for several years. The 390 is a good saw, for more occastional use, and under less extreme conditions, and it is $100 cheaper. It will do the job.

That said, the next question is what kind of sawing do you do and how much and for what lengths of time. If you do a lot of sawing for longer periods of time, I would opt for the 361. Less sawing for shorter times, get the 390. If money is not an issue, get the 361. In my opinions, the extra $100 is well spent on the 361, as that is probably the best saw that Stihl has ever designed and produced.

Yes, I know he did not ask about the 361. But I had to tell him about it. I know, I know! But I had to do it! Yes, my precious. I need to tell people about my precious saw. It is an addiction, see? I know that we should be more supportive of other saws, and let people buy the 390, and the Huskies and Jred saws and all, but really. They should at least consider the 361, even if they do not need it. Why? Becasue it is a 361, that's why! What do you mean, I am insane? Well, I was diagnosed with early onset of chainsaw addiction disease of course. And I am in therapy for that, here on AS daily. I am compelled to tell them all about the marvels of the 361. OK, I will try not to do that so muchm, but really, they need to know! They all need to know what it is like to run a 361 in wood and cut like a madman all day, and after it to post more and more about it on AS late at night, see, and it all becomes more and more addicting, see? And the more you use the saw, the more you want to, and ther more you want to the more you post about it, and the more you post about it the more you want to use the saw... and... and... and...

Well, let me be the fisrt to advice you to get a 361... many others here will as well. I looked at the 390 some time ago and opted for the 361. Better, lighter, and more metal in the right places. I have a 290, the baby brother of the 390 on the same chassis. I used (and stihl use) that saw for several years. The 390 is a good saw, for more occastional use, and under less extreme conditions, and it is $100 cheaper. It will do the job.

That said, the next question is what kind of sawing do you do and how much and for what lengths of time. If you do a lot of sawing for longer periods of time, I would opt for the 361. Less sawing for shorter times, get the 390. If money is not an issue, get the 361. In my opinions, the extra $100 is well spent on the 361, as that is probably the best saw that Stihl has ever designed and produced.

Yes, I know he did not ask about the 361. But I had to tell him about it. I know, I know! But I had to do it! Yes, my precious. I need to tell people about my precious saw. It is an addiction, see? I know that we should be more supportive of other saws, and let people buy the 390, and the Huskies and Jred saws and all, but really. They should at least consider the 361, even if they do not need it. Why? Becasue it is a 361, that's why! What do you mean, I am insane? Well, I was diagnosed with early onset of chainsaw addiction disease of course. And I am in therapy for that, here on AS daily. I am compelled to tell them all about the marvels of the 361. OK, I will try not to do that so muchm, but really, they need to know! They all need to know what it is like to run a 361 in wood and cut like a madman all day, and after it to post more and more about it on AS late at night, see, and it all becomes more and more addicting, see? And the more you use the saw, the more you want to, and ther more you want to the more you post about it, and the more you post about it the more you want to use the saw... and... and... and...

Absolutely right, the 361 will spit chips around the 390...smooooth as the day is long

For casual ocasional use, th 390 is a great saw. If you go out one weekend a month and cut, get it.
If you are going to use it every weekend, but not real hard, get it.
If you are going to run the pee out of a saw, get the 361 instead.

I had a 390, I was pretty happy with it, it ran a 25" bar ok, and screamed with a 20" bar. I've heard of people running a 28" bar, I sure wouldn't even try it in hard wood, the 25" is a lot of work in hard wood.
Really, there is nothing wrong with the saw, it's built for a purpose and does it well. I was thinking about a 440 or the 390, I bought the 390. If I had bought the 440 I would probably still own it and be happy. I really need a bigger saw than I thought I did. That is why I always recomend you figure out what you need, then buy one the next size bigger for when you come across that tree that "if you had jus a bit bigger bar you could cut it down".

Next problem, this is what REALLY hurt me, DO NOT run a pro saw in the same class if you buy one!! Somebody offers, just say "No thanks, I am happy with mine" and walk away!!!!! Because after that, you will never be happy with the 390 again!

In a nutshell, there are beter choices out there, but for the money and what it was designed to do, there really isn't anything wrong with the 390 for MOST people.
If you keep hanging around here, you won't be anything like MOST people though!!

Absolutely right, the 361 will spit chips around the 390...smooooth as the day is long

I'm sorry, but this is simply not true. When asked a question, we need to give facts and not propaganda.

The truth of the matter is that the 390 and 361 will cut very comparably to each other. Yes I have owned and used them both. And the 390 will last a long time too. I used mine for probably 10 years. They are not built like junk.

The difference is in the following.
  1. The 361 is much more fuel efficient.
  2. The 361 has better anti-vibe using springs instead of rubber dampers.
  3. The 361 is much easier to modd, outside of a muffler mod. They both respond very well to a muffler mod.
  4. The 361 is easier to work on.
  5. The 390 has a magnesium engine mounted in a plastic frame. Some say it's very inferior. Myself, I find it very durable, there's no paint to chip off so they look nice a whole lot longer, and who cares if it's a little harder to work on. It's not likely to break and most owners aren't modding them.

The thing of it is, is that the 361 is not that much more than the 390. For that reason I would get the 361 instead of the 390. If you were talking a 310 or 290, the price difference is much greater.

I have to counter that the 290/390 saws are far far easier to muffler modify than the 361. All you have to do is open up the little holes into bigger holes in the 390 muffler and snap the limiter tab off, and you are set. No parts or fab are needed to do that on the 390.

As far as cutting, they are both similar in power, but that is about where the comparison ends. The plastic engine mount is not the issue with the 390; its the plastic clutch housing area that is prone to melt-down. And the cheaper handle, and the weight factor. The 390 is about a pound heavier. And the air filters are funky on the 290/390 saws... yadda yadda.

Personally, I agree and think that the 290 and 310 are better saws in that series, as they warrant the difference in their reduced prices. The 390 gets up there in cost, and so you may as well upgrade to the 361. Although they do not have the decomp button, which they both should have.

Last edited:
You will get no repsect here on AS chainsaw

Because you actually THINK before you purchase a saw......

:smoking:

JK......do your research and make a choice that you will be happy with

Absolutely - the price difference is way too small to go with the 390.....:)

I agree to that to a point. To some a 100 dollars or so is the differance between paying the electric bill or putting food on the table this week. Not everyone has 550-600 to shell out for a saw. For those wanting a 361 but can't quite afford it the 390 will do just fine. Adding to that if the unlucky customer is dealing with me at the rack he will skip the electric bill for a month or cut back on groceries this week and will go home with a 361, I've yet to fail at that,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

In a nutshell, there are beter choices out there, but for the money and what it was designed to do, there really isn't anything wrong with the 390 for MOST people.
If you keep hanging around here, you won't be anything like MOST people though!!

+1 - You really won't be like most people. I went out last night and people were asking why I was in such a good mood. They thought it was wierd when I told them it was because I had just spent most of the day playing with my chainsaw.

... who cares if it's a little harder to work on. It's not likely to break and most owners aren't modding them.
+1 - I don't feel comfortable working on the important parts of my saw that I know nothing about. I think of my saw like my child. I'll put ice on a bruise, but I'm not going to perform surgery. Therefore, I don't care if it's a bit harder to work on becuase I won't be doing it.

Personally, I agree and think that the 290 and 310 are better saws in that series, as they warrant the difference in their reduced prices. The 390 gets up there in cost, and so you may as well upgrade to the 361. Although they do not have the decomp button, which they both should have.

+1

Because you actually THINK before you purchase a saw......

:smoking:

JK......do your research and make a choice that you will be happy with

:hmm3grin2orange: :cheers:

With all that's already been said, I'm pretty sure you'll be extremely happy with either saw. It just comes down to how often you'll use it, your budget, and what feels the best in your hands.

Good luck with the choice

:cheers:

Good luck with the choice

:cheers:

Hmm... I just realized that he only asked for opinions about the 390 and we somehow turned it into needing to decide between the 390 and 361.

So let's redo that response: Yes, the 390 is a good saw.

BUT THE 361 IS BETTER!!!

Hmm... I just realized that he only asked for opinions about the 390 and we somehow turned it into needing to decide between the 390 and 361.

So let's redo that response: Yes, the 390 is a good saw.

BUT THE 361 IS BETTER!!!

Good point.

ME-Yes sir we have the 390 sitting right here, there ya go, whatcha think.

Buyer-I saw this saw in the catalog and I think its right up my alley.

Me-Its a pretty good saw, not a pro saw mind ya but for regular use it will be fine.

Buyer- Not a pro, well whats the nearest Pro to it.

Me-This 361 here would be the nearest pro to it. Here have a feel.

Buyer- Hmmmm this saw is lighter and more streamline.

Me-Yes, has alittle more power too but its costs more. You don't really need it for your type of sawing.

Buyer-I could swing another 120.00 I guess, I sure like the feel of this 361 better.

Me-Well its up to you, I'll sell you either one.

Buyer-I'll take the 361.

Me-Smart man.

Lololol

Good point.

ME-Yes sir we have the 390 sitting right here, there ya go, whatcha think.

Buyer-I saw this saw in the catalog and I think its right up my alley.

Me-Its a pretty good saw, not a pro saw mind ya but for regular use it will be fine.

Buyer- Not a pro, well whats the nearest Pro to it.

Me-This 361 here would be the nearest pro to it. Here have a feel.

Buyer- Hmmmm this saw is lighter and more streamline.

Me-Yes, has alittle more power too but its costs more. You don't really need it for your type of sawing.

Buyer-I could swing another 120.00 I guess, I sure like the feel of this 361 better.

Me-Well its up to you, I'll sell you either one.

Buyer-I'll take the 361.

Me-Smart man

Thats too funny:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I just fixed a 390 for a guy and ran several tanks of fuel through it and was very impressed. I had a 20 inch bar on it with full chisel and it was ripping through 16 to 18 inch oak with very little power loss. It almost kept up with my 044 with that short bar. If the muffler was modded I think it would keep up with an 044 as long as you did not go to a 24 inch bar. I would not hesitate to buy a 390 unless you plan on using the saw everyday. For personal fire wood use I highly recommend that saw. If you have the extra money for a 361 then due yourself a favor and spend it on one of the last 440's which you can find for about the same money you will pay for a 361. The only down side is that a 440 and 390 will not split and stack wood like the 361 owners claim their saw will.

I just fixed a 390 for a guy and ran several tanks of fuel through it and was very impressed. I had a 20 inch bar on it with full chisel and it was ripping through 16 to 18 inch oak with very little power loss. It almost kept up with my 044 with that short bar. If the muffler was modded I think it would keep up with an 044 as long as you did not go to a 24 inch bar. I would not hesitate to buy a 390 unless you plan on using the saw everyday. For personal fire wood use I highly recommend that saw. If you have the extra money for a 361 then due yourself a favor and spend it on one of the last 440's which you can find for about the same money you will pay for a 361. The only down side is that a 440 and 390 will not split and stack wood like the 361 owners claim their saw will.

They won't cure cancer either.

They won't cure cancer either.

Good point.

Buyer- Well I'd like to have that 361 but I can't swing the funds right now.

Me- No problem, I fully understand, the 390 is fine for what your doing.

Me- Sir hold on a second please, I got a call on my cell here. (standing close to the customer so he can listen in.

Me- Honey how are you doing today, you feeling ok. Tom the doctors said the 361 has cured my cancer. Thats great baby. Listen darlin I got a customer here and I'll call you back in a few minutes.

Me- Now where were we sir, you want that 390 right?

Buyer- Well I did but I think I'll take that 361 instead now.

Me- Smart man.

Good point.

Buyer- Well I'd like to have that 361 but I can't swing the funds right now.

Me- No problem, I fully understand, the 390 is fine for what your doing.

Me- Sir hold on a second please, I got a call on my cell here. (standing close to the customer so he can listen in.

Me- Honey how are you doing today, you feeling ok. Tom the doctors said the 361 has cured my cancer. Thats great baby. Listen darlin I got a customer here and I'll call you back in a few minutes.

Me- Now where were we sir, you want that 390 right?

Buyer- Well I did but I think I'll take that 361 instead now.

Me- Smart man.

LOL, Hopefully I will not get cancer but I will be calling you if I do.

Back