Thinking of buyin a Stihl ms390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on my experience the majority that have damage on the clutchside were due to the fact of accidentally running it with the chainbrake on. Eventhough your scenarios can also cause the damage it is less likely imo. I personally don't think they are deficiencies with the saw. If proper operation and maintenance is performed no damage will occur. Its about in the same class as saying my bar got burnt because I forgot to put bar lube in the saw.

I see a shyte-load of burned out plastic case Stihl saws on Ebay. I never see that on Stihl pro saws. Why? Metal casings, not becasue the users took better care of them or operated them any better. Whatever the reasons, its the weakest part of the Stihl plastic saws.

Personally, I do not see how you can "run" a saw with the chainbrake on. Accidentally or otherwise. I mean, really... brake is set, chain does not move. Pop brake lever, chain moves. So easy, a caveman can do it. But evidently not Cro Magnon man...

Personally, I do not see how you can "run" a saw with the chainbrake on. Accidentally or otherwise. I mean, really... brake is set, chain does not move. Pop brake lever, chain moves. So easy, a caveman can do it. But evidently not Cro Magnon man...
That may be hard to fathom for us that run saws frequently...but not for the guy that runs a saw one or two times of year. There have been tons of posts on AS from people wondering why their chain won't move because they left their brake on. Tom, Andy, or anyone else that works at a servicing dealer can probably tell you how many calls they have answered regarding this same issue.

That may be hard to fathom for us that run saws frequently...but not for the guy that runs a saw one or two times of year. There have been tons of posts on AS from people wondering why their chain won't move because they left their brake on. Tom, Andy, or anyone else that works at a servicing dealer can probably tell you how many calls they have answered regarding this same issue.

Hard to fathom that, really. But I was raised around chainsaws (though, those saws did not even have clutch brake levers on them!). I mean, these same people drive cars with brakes on them, right?

I can see it now... Mr. Occasional-use Chainsaw Guy (who works at Microsoft) drives toward the Woodinville Stihl dealership. The smell of burned brake dust permeates the air from a quarter mile away. He can be seen by a huge cloud of brake smoke coming from the 4 wheels of his brand new Honda Accura 4 door sedan. He comes to a stop somehow in front of the shop, seemingly by putting the car in reverse becasue the brakes are completely cooked. He pops the trunk of the car and gets the burned up chainsaw that was run with the brakes set, and heads for the shop. The door opens, and brake stench roils into the shop, causing them all to gag and choke. Through the smoke and dust and stench, the soot covered fellow politely sets the saw down on the bench and explains that for some mysterious reason, the saw housing has melted off of the right side of his chainsaw and it will simply not run. Then he politely leaves, and heads to the nearest Honda dealership to complain that his brand new car will not go over 20 MPH and for some reason the brakes do not work any more... and it has a really bad smell coming from the wheels. :cheers:

Good thing I decided to pass on buying the local Stihl dealership and/or opening a Dolmar saw shop here. I would be insane within a month of opening the place. :dizzy:

Hard to fathom that, really. But I was raised around chainsaws (though, those saws did not even have clutch brake levers on them!). I mean, these same people drive cars with brakes on them, right?

I can see it now... Mr. Occasional-use Chainsaw Guy (who works at Microsoft) drives toward the Woodinville Stihl dealership. The smell of burned brake dust permeates the air from a quarter mile away. He can be seen by a huge cloud of brake smoke coming from the 4 wheels of his brand new Honda Accura 4 door sedan. He comes to a stop somehow in front of the shop, seemingly by putting the car in reverse becasue the brakes are completely cooked. He pops the trunk of the car and gets the burned up chainsaw that was run with the brakes set, and heads for the shop. The door opens, and brake stench roils into the shop, causing them all to gag and choke. Through the smoke and dust and stench, the soot covered fellow politely sets the saw down on the bench and explains that for some mysterious reason, the saw housing has melted off of the right side of his chainsaw and it will simply not run. Then he politely leaves, and heads to the nearest Honda dealership to complain that his brand new car will not go over 20 MPH and for some reason the brakes do not work any more... and it has a really bad smell coming from the wheels. :cheers:

Good thing I decided to pass on buying the local Stihl dealership and/or opening a Dolmar saw shop here. I would be insane within a month of opening the place. :dizzy:

Windthrown, you've really outdone yourself on this one!!!

Customer: I'm thinkin' about a 390 for cuttin' my firewood.

Mr. Stihl Dealer: Gotta boat?

Customer: Yes.

Mr. Stihl Dealer: I'll get that 390 ready for ya right away.

-------------------------------------------

Customer: No.

Mr. Stihl Dealer: I think the pro, light weight 361 will serve you best. Here, get a feel for this.

Customer: Wow. Yep, I'll take the 361.

Just pick your ending,

joat

Good post and very accurate. The chain break deal happens all the time. I get calls all the time from some guy saying my chain won't turn. I ask is the break off and they go whats that.

Some come in the door raising hell because their chain won't turn and boy do I get a chance to have some fun with them. Had one guy actually call me a smart azz one day because I pointed out to him the break was on in the most cheerful way. He was groweling the saw was no good. I reached up and pull the brake back and said ya big dummy you got the dayumm break on. Sorta tciked him off abit but I bet he never does it again,hehe.

Have had a few melt the case so bad it was beyond repair. Last one that did it that I recall was a doctor and he blamed it on his wife. As a matter of fact I have at the shop a 025 a man brought in for me to replace a broken chain break handle. He snapped it off and in doing so locked the break. He had no handle to unlock it with so he apparently tried to unlock it by running it. When I got to his saw to work on it there was nothing left to work on, the case was melted to the hilt. Called his number, his wife answered, he wasn't home, so I told her what had happened. She was like that big dummy. Saw is still at the shop, been there for months now. I guess she reamed him a new one and he's too embarrassed to come get his saw,LOLOL

I also get alot of Huskies in with break problems, mainly the guys trying to take the sprocket cover off with the break on. Those outboard clutches aren't forgiving at all. Then I get the ones where the plastic handle has reamed out on the cover itself and it won't grab the pin to unlock the break, it just slides past it. I've seen quite a few of those deals.

Then I get the smart guy like my older brother. He brings me his 361 and tells me to qutoe "take that fu-king brake thing off my saw, its a pain in the azz, always hit my hand on it and set that dayumm thing off". I go can't do it, not allowed to. He goes well screw it then, he hates chain breaks,LOL

So in all yes there are chain break problems all the time. Good post Brad and on the money,:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

blaa blaaa blaaa..I dont want to wear my Pro Mac 700 out,,and want to get something to replace it with about the same power.... blaa blaa blaa

That being said, the 390 will not make you happy, and if your cutting big wood, the 361 won't make you happy either.

What has happened to you guys? Push him toward another 70cc saw.....

That being said, the 390 will not make you happy, and if your cutting big wood, the 361 won't make you happy either.

All that cancer cure talk has made believers out of us.

OK, here goes.
About 1 yr ago I was deciding between a 390 and 361. Asked around, PMed some folks on this forum for advise (thanks THALL and others), searched on this forum...etc.....
Ended up buying a 441. Boy, was that a SMART move!!!
More money than I wanted to spend, but I can sure cut some wood.
I can handle anything my property has to offer with ease, I cut up a huge fallen oak yesterday without a problem.
The whole time I was proud of myself for buying the 70cc saw, great saw.

There, now all bases are covered.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back