Thinking of new 60cc class saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good pal down road - we often hunt for and cut dry stands for firewood together, he uses older version of the husky 395 as his only saw. He's 25 years younger but is sweating more at days end than this old fart with my small saws (I'm always happy to let him know about this - lol)... we kid a lot and I've heard tons of jibes over the years about my puny 346xp 'member' - lol - but since he first viewed the 562xp in the cut, he's gone pretty quiet now - his words .... "that is one angry little beast isnt it"! .... :cool:

Kind of sad really, I enjoy the good natured saw banter, I think I'll have to show up next time with an even punier saw (543xp or maybe 241cm) to start him up again!

:D

Today I got together with a friend to buck up some logs and run his 362cm. I brought three saws 357,262 hda 87, 562. He had a MM 361 and the 362. My saws are also muffler modded so not a big deal. End of the day we both agreed the 562 was just a bit ahead of the others in all areas. I will also say my 262 was tad quicker than the Stihls.

154935607.2Ke9XIDe.555image.jpg

Stihl claim their 362CM is 12.8 lbs. Going by Stihl, Dolmar, and Husqvarna's history of quoting weight with no cutting gear, no clutch cover, no clutch drum, no clutch, no piston, with titanium bolts, and helium in the tank, I would be stunned if it actually were 12.8 lbs.

This is my 555 full of fluids and wearing a 20" bar.

20140606_142518.jpg

Yall crack me up with these weight debates. It really boils down to what feels best in "Your" hands and do the features of the saw fit your needs. At 13 lbs- 6 ounces shouldnt be an issue for a man. I have hauled, del, and repoed storage buildings for a living for the last ten years. Leveling them up requires block. I hold the record for our entire company (which is the biggest storage building company in the US ($67 million in sales last year) for the most buildings delivered in one day at 11 barns. Anyways, when carrying blocks I put 4 4'' caps on my left shoulder and palm another one in the right. With 8 inch block I put 2 on the shoulder and grasp 2 binding them together in my other hand. All day- 5 or 6 days a week depending on if I want to work.

Point being- dickering over 6 ounces or a pound even at 13-14lbs is rediculous.

I have used this one to limb with- 395xp with 20'' bar. Hell I dont know why I even own a saw under 70cc- they just sit around.:dizzy:

View attachment 357009

That's a beautiful saw Steven!!

That garage floor looks very familiar! ;)

Today I got together with a friend to buck up some logs and run his 362cm. I brought three saws 357,262 hda 87, 562. He had a MM 361 and the 362. My saws are also muffler modded so not a big deal. End of the day we both agreed the 562 was just a bit ahead of the others in all areas. I will also say my 262 was tad quicker than the Stihls.

It's nice to be on the winning team - :D

back to work for me. TTYL

Weight matters. The difference between a 90cc saw and a 50cc is dramatic. I agree with using what fits the cutting. My point was that we shouldnt make a huge debate over 6 ounces in a certain CC class. This issue seems to present itself more in the 60cc threads than any other class. If 6 ounces is a deal killer for a 362cm over a 562xp maybe it's time to consider a ported 50cc saw for additional weight savings. The weight difference between the 362 and 562 does not make one a bad saw and one the ultimate saw. Both manufacturers approached their design differently which is great bc we are all individuals and are blessed to have options. Competition between Stihl and Husq ultimately benefit us as the Consumer. That said- the competition should be between the manufacturers, not us guys- we're all friends here.

Picked up several Jonsereds at Tractor Supply awhile ago. I'm sorry I totally fail to see where the thing feels better in hand or balances better??? Stihl all the way for me or Dolmar if I had to pick a second!!!

I'll bite, Bryan. Come on over to Ireland. Come up to the Deise with me, on a mountainside, 40 hours a week in the rain and the wind, you limb and fall them with that cute lil saw of yours, and I will use my MS361, which is only about 5lbs less than your Husky. :) If you can come away with more timber and less pain than me after a week, I'll listen to your posts more in the future.

HA HA- it's Sexy.... not cute.:buttkick::D

That'd be like asking you to come set buildings with me. Your body has adjusted to the physical requirements to do your job. Same with me- I am not Monster of a Man (6'5/215) but I have adjusted to my work over the years. I dont doubt that I could run my 395 all over that mountain, but I do doubt that I could lay more timber than a pro faller.:bowdown: I just dont have that skill. My issue would not be physical it would be my level of skill that would be a problem. The weight of these saws means nothing to me. Average 4'' cap block is 30lbs. Average 8'' block is 37lbs. I carry 4 of either at a time often walking several yards (or meters) from where my truck is parked and where I have set a building. Depending on which territory I am working the average building takes 8-12 block. But I have put as many as 123 under a 12x32 shed. Average day consist of 6-8 del for me, but every once in a while I can squeeze in a couple more.;)

Gentlemen, just pick up a saw and start cutting..... whichever brand you choose is your prerogative. Irregardless of 362cm or 562xp (or any other saw) enough use and the saw will become an extension of your arm and just feel right in your hand. Same with other areas of our life.... ;). Husqvarna and Stihl both make great equiptment so you cant go wrong with either. Choosing the best builder is much more important than choosing the best model saw in a class. Since we all like videos.... feast on this piece of **** Echo (this is for you Sawtroll) This is a "freebie" clamshell Echo 520. Most would consider it unrelevant in the 50cc class. However, after Randy finished with it- it was making 5 sec cuts in the log and he labeled it a "346 killer" in the build thread. It also weighs less than a 346xp/2153 (I know- I owned both).

Oh no, now ya done it. We were all happy arguing whether the 362 was heavier than a 555. But saying a 520 is lighter than a 346! Uh oh!

BTW, I logged and did arborist work for 6 months in England with a CS520, mildly ported. I liked it. Took a lot of abuse, including having a tree fall on it. Lemme know when you want to sell yours.

Oh no, now ya done it. We were all happy arguing whether the 362 was heavier than a 555. But saying a 520 is lighter than a 346! Uh oh!

BTW, I logged and did arborist work for 6 months in England with a CS520, mildly ported. I liked it. Took a lot of abuse, including having a tree fall on it. Lemme know when you want to sell yours.

Already did bro. Huge mistake on my part. Sold it to a new member (I believe out of florida- user name was something like "PoolDawg" or something like that). Basically gave it away at $300 shipped for the saw, 16'' bar, and 2 chains (one in the box). It was during a time when I hadn't fully come to terms with Cad being a wonderful state of being and I thought I had to many saws. It is one saw that I regret selling.

I went with the 6100. I will be ordering a wrap handle for it some time here in the near future.

Does anyone know if you can get double dawgs for this thing? I didnt see an outer one in the ipl.

I am amazed at how much fluid this thing holds.

There is no way to put on dual spikes without modification of 5105? spikes (Im pretty sure at least). At first we thought we would want duals, especially with how funky the single stock one looks...but it works so well it will be staying put. Please show pics of the wrap handle when you get it. It is amazing how fuel efficient it is. Glad the saw is working well for you and please update this thread with your DOLMAR experiences, even if it has veered into the Husq vs Stihl BS.

Weight matters. The difference between a 90cc saw and a 50cc is dramatic. I agree with using what fits the cutting. My point was that we shouldnt make a huge debate over 6 ounces in a certain CC class. This issue seems to present itself more in the 60cc threads than any other class. If 6 ounces is a deal killer for a 362cm over a 562xp maybe it's time to consider a ported 50cc saw for additional weight savings. The weight difference between the 362 and 562 does not make one a bad saw and one the ultimate saw. Both manufacturers approached their design differently which is great bc we are all individuals and are blessed to have options. Competition between Stihl and Husq ultimately benefit us as the Consumer. That said- the competition should be between the manufacturers, not us guys- we're all friends here.

I agree, and those few ounces is why some people swear it makes the 441cm and 576at almost unusable compared to 440 and 372.

Really hard question. They all have their places. Only thing some have in common is they cut wood. Up in the top of a tree or bucket I'm a 200t fan. Blocking 10-20 inch wood down in a tree the 562. Bucking rounds on the ground the 576 is ultra smooth. Felling large trees and bucking large wood fast the 385 is quick and pulls a large bar. 2101 has made the most money been reliable and it was passed down to me from my dad. 288 sounds the best. I cut so much wood of different size and hardness its hard to declare a favorite. The ones I mentioned bring a smile on my face every time I use them.

Latest posts

Back