Thinking of new 60cc class saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
362c with 3/4 wrap handle which weighs more . No fluidsView attachment 357005
Assuming that is an accurate scale, there is nothing wrong with a sub 13lb pho 60cc saw (especially with 3/4 wrap).
I will need to try a 362 again sometime, as I had certainly felt that it was a heavier, bulkier option than the husky. Perhaps it was just what I wanted to believe.
For me - I use a 60cc saw for the bulk of my wild pine felling work, it is often enough that I would prefer an inboard clutch as I prefer an outboard.

Assuming that is an accurate scale, there is nothing wrong with a sub 13lb pho 60cc saw (especially with 3/4 wrap).
I will need to try a 362 again sometime, as I had certainly felt that it was a heavier, bulkier option than the husky. Perhaps it was just what I wanted to believe.
For me - I use a 60cc saw for the bulk of my wild pine felling work, it is often enough that I would prefer an inboard clutch as I prefer an outboard.
Its accurate. usps scale and I calibrate with certified calibration weight. I like the profile, balance and feel of my 362c over the 261 I had

Keith, I'm surprised your 362 is so light with the wrap handle. While I have heard the 12.8 lbs for non-USA 362 C-Ms, the USA published wt is 13.0, and I did see another on the scale at 13.0 (powerhead only).

You can not compare the regular 362 to a 362 C-M. The C-M version not only has M-Tronic but also a completely different filtering system. The 361 is a great saw, but in stock form it is lighter but not as powerful as a 362 C-M. Ported or modified, I hear the 361s really come to life.

A stock 362 C-M has peak power at 10,000 RPM, and will cut limbs under 12" about as fast as any saw you have got. But in stock form it does not have the torque of the larger saws and will slow down on the bigger stuff. Also, as Kieth stated, there are no issues with the throttle response of the 362 C-M, these comments are rubbish.

The 362 C-M continues to be maligned by individuals who equate it with the pre-M-Tronic 362. They are very different saws.

I have said from the start that I believe the 362 C-M is comparable with any other 60 cc saw (in stock form), and as the facts become available, that position seems to be supported.

Keith, I'm surprised your 362 is so light with the wrap handle. While I have heard the 12.8 lbs for non-USA 362 C-Ms, the USA published wt is 13.0, and I did see another on the scale at 13.0 (powerhead only).

You can not compare the regular 362 to a 362 C-M. The C-M version not only has M-Tronic but also a completely different filtering system. The 361 is a great saw, but in stock form it is lighter but not as powerful as a 362 C-M. Ported or modified, I hear the 361s really come to life.

A stock 362 C-M has peak power at 10,000 RPM, and will cut limbs under 12" about as fast as any saw you have got. But in stock form it does not have the torque of the larger saws and will slow down on the bigger stuff. Also, as Kieth stated, there are no issues with the throttle response of the 362 C-M, these comments are rubbish.

The 362 C-M continues to be maligned by individuals who equate it with the pre-M-Tronic 362. They are very different saws.

I have said from the start that I believe the 362 C-M is comparable with any other 60 cc saw (in stock form), and as the facts become available, that position seems to be supported.
A couple things to consider on weight of my saw
1)Mastermind removed metal from mine
2)I gutted the muffler, less weight

Yall crack me up with these weight debates. It really boils down to what feels best in "Your" hands and do the features of the saw fit your needs. At 13 lbs- 6 ounces shouldnt be an issue for a man. I have hauled, del, and repoed storage buildings for a living for the last ten years. Leveling them up requires block. I hold the record for our entire company (which is the biggest storage building company in the US ($67 million in sales last year) for the most buildings delivered in one day at 11 barns. Anyways, when carrying blocks I put 4 4'' caps on my left shoulder and palm another one in the right. With 8 inch block I put 2 on the shoulder and grasp 2 binding them together in my other hand. All day- 5 or 6 days a week depending on if I want to work.

Point being- dickering over 6 ounces or a pound even at 13-14lbs is rediculous.

I have used this one to limb with- 395xp with 20'' bar. Hell I dont know why I even own a saw under 70cc- they just sit around.:dizzy:

Husq 395xp from Dex Nov 2013 3.jpg

Yall crack me up with these weight debates. It really boils down to what feels best in "Your" hands and do the features of the saw fit your needs. At 13 lbs- 6 ounces shouldnt be an issue for a man. I have hauled, del, and repoed storage buildings for a livg for the ten years. Leveling them up requirelock. I hold the record for our entire company (which is the biggest storage building company in the US ($67 million in sales last year) for the most buildings delivered in one day at 11 barns. Anyways, when carrying blocks I put 4 4'' caps on my left shoulder and palm another one in the right. With 8 inch block I put 2 on the shoulder and grasp 2 binding them together in my other hand. All day- 5 or 6 days a week depending on if I want to work.

I have used this one to limb with- 395xp with 20'' bar. Hell I dont know why I even own a saw under 70cc- they just sit around.:dizzy:

View attachment 357009
I agree. Ive seen several threads here with people saying the 362c weighs this and that? Weigh the thing already. U weigh it on certified scales and here we go with another debate of the scales. All the ******** and arguing and immaturity is so ridiculous? My saw cut 1 sec faster, my saw is this shade of color, my saw weighs a frogs ass hair less? Id be happy to own, modify, maintain, and cut with Stihl, Husky, or Dolmar

View attachment 357009

I'll bite, Bryan. Come on over to Ireland. Come up to the Deise with me, on a mountainside, 40 hours a week in the rain and the wind, you limb and fall them with that cute lil saw of yours, and I will use my MS361, which is only about 5lbs less than your Husky. :) If you can come away with more timber and less pain than me after a week, I'll listen to your posts more in the future.

I'll bite, Bryan. Come on over to Ireland. Come up to the Deise with me, on a mountainside, 40 hours a week in the rain and the wind, you limb and fall them with that cute lil saw of yours, nd I will use my MS361, which is only about 5lbs less than your Husky. :) If you can come away with more timber and less pain than me after a week, I'll listen to your posts more in the future.

You have a point! Saw needs to fit the situation. If i limb with an 880 and a 60" bar Im sure my back, shoulders and elbows wouldnt last long?

I'll bite, Bryan. Come on over to Ireland. Come up to the Deise with me, on a mountainside, 40 hours a week in the rain and the wind, you limb and fall them with that cute lil saw of yours, and I will use my MS361, which is only about 5lbs
less than your Husky. :) If you can come away with more timber and less pain than me after a week, I'll listen to your posts more in the future.

[/QUOT
Nice saw

You have a point! Saw needs to fit the situation. If i limb with an 880 and a 60" bar Im sure my back, shoulders and elbows wouldnt last long?
Very fitted - not only ported, most of the time I am running a 25" bar with an 8 pin rim and low rakers in softwoods and ash. The 18" bar there I mostly used for firewood bucking and smaller trees. The yellow cypress in that vid was a heavy leaner, so a touch harder than Doug Fir.

Bryanr2, I agree with you that there is way too much bickering over a few ounces here or there, and that the feel of the saw is more important. I also compliment your strength and conditioning.

That said, when I was younger and could pump 85 lb dumbells with either hand 12 reps each, and work all day with the moving company hauling pianos and organs up and down 3 story houses w/o getting wiped out, (or moving the old fireproof file cabinets that used to be cement lined) I would agree with you.

Now that I'm over 60, I still stay in good shape, but at the end of the day if I have to do some limbing, I'm starting to really appreciate a lighter weight saw, and a pound lighter makes a big difference to me, especially when fatigue is setting in after a long hot day.

As I have said many times, all of us are different, and the saw that is best for you will depend on the conditions, including your size and strength and what you are cutting and the conditions you are working under (heat, steep slopes, tough wood or soft wood, etc), and what you can fit in your budget.

Recommendations from others should be helpful, but at the end of the day you will have to make the decision that is right for you.

The 361 is a much better saw than the newer 362.

It is lighter and neater, with a quad transfer non-strato engine (it is the only Stihl ever to have such an engine). Unlike most Stihl saws, it (at least the Euro version) also has really good trigger response/accelleration.

Sawtroll, how about the 036?

Nothing wrong with the Efco. .....

That is where we totally disagree - a lot is wrong with both Echo and their saws. The fact that they merged With Shindaiwa may have helped a little - but even the 620 isn't good enough, and certainly not the much cheaper 590.

Edit, sorry - misread Efco for Echo.

Efco made one interesting model, the 62cc 162/962/CS62. The 156 also is fairly decent (it is a 162 with a smaller top end). Apart from that it doesn't look so good.....

Latest posts

Back