Those Crazy Homeowners....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruege84

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well, I don't know about everyone else, but I've been busy as hell the last few weeks. Between work and side jobs, I've managed at least 10 hours a day, 22 days in a row. I decided today is MY day and decided to come back and visit the site. I also wanted the see the reactions from some of you after sharing what I saw a couple days ago.

I was on my home from work and saw a guy cutting limbs of the spruce in his yard. He was about 15-18 ft. up in the air. No worries about him falling though, as his wife was kind enough to hold the ladder for him. Then I noticed what he was cutting with: his ever handy craftsman circular saw, with the cord hanging all the way down the trunk of the tree. I wasn't sure whether to laugh, cry, or help the guy. I ended up just driving away becuase I wasn't in the mood to watch anyone get hurt. Anyone else ever seen stuff like this? It makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Man, some people are just stuck on stupid are'nt they? They just don't think about what could happen, I know a guy that climbed up in a tree to trim a limb and had one arm wrapped around the tree limb (the one he was cutting) to hold himself and was using the saw one-handed. He cut into said arm with the chainsaw........ My mother used to talk about a guy she knew when she was a kid that put a board across his leg to cut it with a circular saw and sawed right into his leg. I'm sure this will probably be a good thread as there is no shoratge of idiots out there!
:chainsawguy:

When they make a better, idiot-proof gadget, then they always seem to make a stupider idiot.

Just read the warnings in any user manual to find out what folks have tried in the past that they are trying to avoid lawsuits for.

Just read the warnings in any user manual to find out what folks have tried in the past that they are trying to avoid lawsuits for.

No winners if I was on the Jury. Further proof that there are too many F:censored:ing lawyers. :blob2:

No winners if I was on the Jury. Further proof that there are too many F:censored:ing lawyers. :blob2:

I agree!!! The only reason any of these law suites even happen is because some ambulance chasing lawyer told he could get them a big settlement.

Remember the lady who placed a hot cup of coffee between her legs that she got from the drive though, she then spilled it and burnt her self. She got $12 million from McDonald's on that one. If I were the judge I would have thrown the case out and told her she got what she had coming to her, I mean if you are stupid enough to place a hot item between your legs you are just asking to get burnt!

I agree!!! The only reason any of these law suites even happen is because some ambulance chasing lawyer told he could get them a big settlement.

Remember the lady who placed a hot cup of coffee between her legs that she got from the drive though, she then spilled it and burnt her self. She got $12 million from McDonald's on that one. If I were the judge I would have thrown the case out and told her she got what she had coming to her, I mean if you are stupid enough to place a hot item between your legs you are just asking to get burnt!

+1 coffee is supposed to be hot heres your sign. I would have asked her
to show the jury and myself her injuries:laugh:

Funny you reference that... about three years before that suit I did the same thing.. one my way to fishing in Montana a lifetime ago... Stopped at MacDonald's for breakfast and coffee, but the coffe is so friggign hot I had to take it with me.. between the legs, hard brake for a deer, and it burned the crap out of me...

Never thought of sueing... just stopped going to MAc... but their coffee was stupid hot...

Funny you reference that... about three years before that suit I did the same thing.. one my way to fishing in Montana a lifetime ago... Stopped at MacDonald's for breakfast and coffee, but the coffe is so friggign hot I had to take it with me.. between the legs, hard brake for a deer, and it burned the crap out of me...

Never thought of sueing... just stopped going to MAc... but their coffee was stupid hot...

Don't say another word at this point lake until you pm space.
You would not want to jeapordize your case.

I believe the old lady who sued needed skin grafts. Not what you'd expect from drinkable coffee. Her lawyer was able to show a pattern of people being injured, and McDs continuing to serve it at 190 degrees or whatever it was.

Here we go, it's Stella Liebeck v. McDonald's:
Lectric Law Library

Wikipedia

"During discovery, McDonalds produced documents showing more than 700 claims by people burned by its coffee between 1982 and 1992. Some claims involved third-degree burns substantially similar to Liebecks. This history documented McDonalds' knowledge about the extent and nature of this hazard."

"McDonalds' quality assurance manager testified that the company actively enforces a requirement that coffee be held in the pot at 185 degrees, plus or minus five degrees. He also testified that a burn hazard exists with any food substance served at 140 degrees or above, and that McDonalds coffee, at the temperature at which it was poured into styrofoam cups, was not fit for consumption because it would burn the mouth and throat."

"McDonalds asserted that customers buy coffee on their way to work or home, intending to consume it there. However, the companys own research showed that customers intend to consume the coffee immediately while driving."

"A vascular surgeon determined that Liebeck suffered full thickness burns (or third-degree burns) over 6 percent of her body, including her inner thighs, perineum, buttocks, and genital and groin areas. She was hospitalized for eight days, during which time she underwent skin grafting. Liebeck, who also underwent debridement treatments, sought to settle her claim for $20,000, but McDonalds refused." (actual medical expenses were about $11,000)

"The jury awarded Liebeck $200,000 in compensatory damages. This amount was reduced to $160,000 because the jury found Liebeck 20 percent at fault in the spill. The jury also awarded Liebeck $2.7 million in punitive damages, which equals about two days of McDonalds' coffee sales."

Last edited:
My dad, in his late seventies, was going into surgery in the next couple of days. So he HAD to suddenly top a couple of locust trees. I have no idea why it was so urgent. Anyway, I had to drive down to be the tractor operator. He had a rickety wooden ladder that scared me to climb up on. He tied some heavy duty rope onto the tree and my job was to pull the tree over it over with the tractor. I'm scared I won't do it at the right moment and kill him. Well, he gets to cutting away on the smaller limbs, and he's left the ladder and up standing on the limbs of the tree. I see him hesitate but he goes on cutting.
We finally do the tractor pull, everything goes well and as planned. He comes down. He's got a hanky wrapped around his hand. He said he cut it a bit but finished the tree with the hanky wrapped around the hand. I take a look, as he says he'll just bandage it a bit. White cartilage or whatever is showing. I tell him we gotta go get it stitched up. He argues. I drive him in. It is the Fourth of July and he's telling everybody he was playing with firecrackers. They stitch it up and check it when he's in for surgery.

A few days later, I go back to visit. Mom tells me he's not supposed to be bouncing around. So, what does he want to do? He wants me to bring the old 1940s or 50s cat up the road so he can get on and do some earth moving with it. He never taught me how to operate that beast so it is easy to refuse and so he has to take it easy. I think watching him in that tree was worse than any horror flick ever made!

Neighbors jeez

I just caught my next door neighbor last weekend with the saws all in hand
and about 12 inch blade on that thing, I watched in amazement for a couple of seconds as he started to cut down one of the trees in the yard and then thought man this guy is gonna hurt someone So asked if I could help got my trusty MS250 out and cut it down for him it was only 12 inches or so in diameter so not much trouble there he asked if I wanted the wood so I said sure (we will use it) then he started bucking this thing with the saws all I said why don't I cut with this chainsaw and you just throw the stuff over the fence

If he wasn't such a nice guy with good kids I would have had to ask what the hell is wrong with you

GEO

When they make a better, idiot-proof gadget, then they always seem to make a stupider idiot.

Yeah, it seems that mankind is busier perfecting that product than anything else. I wish I could find the pictures we had posted on the bulletin board at work of a construction project in China. A welder was just using a piece of shade glass taped to a piece of cardboard as a face shield, another guy was cutting rebar with an angle grinder BAREFOOT, and instead of safety glasses had what appeared to be Saran-Wrap wrapped around his head with mouth and nose holes poked out, and another guy had a piece of foam strapped to his head, I guess in case of falling objects. I'll try to find them but I've never seen the originals on the net so have no idea where to look.

Personally, about the dumbest thing I've done is leave the guard off the return of my bandsaw after a blade change. I went to shut the saw off but looked away at the last second - bad idea since the switch is about 2" from the blade, and my hand caught the return of a 3/8" 6tpi blade. Took the pads off my left index and ring fingers but missed the others. No permanent injury but that hurt like hell for weeks. Of course I did also take the ends off the first 3 fingers on my right hand with my jointer last September, but that was a combination of a short piece, cutting a bit too deep, and hitting a knot. Overall still my fault but not a retard move like leaving a guard off.

EDIT: OK, I found those pictures I mentioned HERE.

I also got THIS in my email a while ago, and it's hard to argue with. And the LAST PHOTO in the bunch is especially fitting. What one is your fave out of that page? Mine's probably the haybale scaffolding (after the chainsaw, of course).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back