Thoughts and prayers for Tree sling'r (Jasha) who is in surgery.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Denise gave me the best explanation of what happened that she could at this point. She said she will give a more detailed one later if needed, although I think this one is sufficient.

Luckily, it was a crush injury, and the knives were not moving when it happened.

"Apparently the wood chipper got jammed. They hit the override ? switch, so the machine was on but not in motion. He was grabbing stuff out when someone who didn't know what was happening, turned the switch to off. This overrode the hydraulics and the wheel came down and crushed his arm. It could definitely have been worse, it wasn't actually "chipped" thank goodness. I'm sure I didn't tell this right, it was explained to me but I was numb. I'll try to give you better details tomorrow. He is in good spirits and is worried more about me and the kids than he is about himself."

As per, Denise's own statement about his mental state, as being one of concern over his family first and his arm second, is going to be paramount to his recovery. Guys like that are hard to keep down very long if ever. He has a flesh wound and he is working on getting through it. I have always known or thought that with such "men", such injuries were always harder on the women and family than it was on the man, which is how it should be.

His type are getting harder to find nowadays, it is unfortunate that they shine brightest during rough times, but such is life.

Sam

A little more news.

Jasha can feel his fingers!! The doc's are expecting some nerve damage further up the forearm -- but the finger and hand thing is a HUGE deal!

Also, the fella that caused the accident is a mess. As I think any one of us would be. We should keep him in our thoughts and prayers as well. Sounds like this guy is good folks, and this will probably haunt him.

The tree service Jasha is working for is a good company I'm told, and is being exemplary right now -- they should also be in our thoughts/prayers.

A little more news.

Jasha can feel his fingers!! The doc's are expecting some nerve damage further up the forearm -- but the finger and hand thing is a HUGE deal!

Also, the fella that caused the accident is a mess. As I think any one of us would be. We should keep him in our thoughts and prayers as well. Sounds like this guy is good folks, and this will probably haunt him.

The tree service Jasha is working for is a good company I'm told, and is being exemplary right now -- they should also be in our thoughts/prayers.

Yeah, thats going to be a hard row to hoe for the operator and a bad deal for the company, but its certainly good news that Jasha has feeling in his fingers.

I have lost feeling in my right forearm and arm on two occasions (non-wood related) and those are scary times when you can see your hand and arm and can't feel it or make it move.

Sam

A little more news.

Good news, mostly - and I'm sure that guy didn't mean to hurt Sling'r - but I also am sure that some questions will need answers.

However, that's another process, the focus here should be on the recovery.

I really hope Jasha has disability insurance, weather private or through the company, it could be a long road through rehabilitation for that arm to heal up and get back the full use of it.

Denise gave me the best explanation of what happened that she could at this point. She said she will give a more detailed one later if needed, although I think this one is sufficient.

Luckily, it was a crush injury, and the knives were not moving when it happened.

"Apparently the wood chipper got jammed. They hit the override ? switch, so the machine was on but not in motion. He was grabbing stuff out when someone who didn't know what was happening, turned the switch to off. This overrode the hydraulics and the wheel came down and crushed his arm. It could definitely have been worse, it wasn't actually "chipped" thank goodness. I'm sure I didn't tell this right, it was explained to me but I was numb. I'll try to give you better details tomorrow. He is in good spirits and is worried more about me and the kids than he is about himself."

OUCH! A HUGE ONE!

Sorry to see this! Thoughts and prayers to all involved!

Many years ago, I turned a switch on with someone inside! Luckily, he only got hit with and breath in sawdust. The sawdust collector should have been locked and tagged out! The switch was on the other side of the room. We were cleaning and making dust. I thought, "we should have the dust collector on."

All that happened was there was one very upset guy with sawdust from head to toe, and yelling to "TURN IT OFF!" . If I could have sunk into the floor and disapeared, I would have!

My vibes are being sent to Jasha. Im thinking hes a lucky man to have an accident with a chipper and he still has an arm to repair. I couldnt imagine.

Sorry to hear what happened ; that's an ugly wound to have on the right arm, hope everything works out well.
Wish Jasha a speedy recovery.

Makes me look different at every chipper I see ...

Latest posts

Back