Three things wrong with the Holzaforma saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished a ms 271 today that had a scored piston...I was going to sell it for a parts saw as there are no Chinese parts available for this model, and the OEM piston and cylinder from my Stihl dealer ( I get a huge discount there) was $320 give or take a couple of bucks. The saw will go on Marketplace tomorrow for $250 as I was able to save the cylinder, and an aftermarket 261 piston worked. I won't fix an Echo as there are no aftermarket parts made and OEM are very expensive. I just sell Echo's for parts saws. Unless OEM parts are reasonably priced and readily available, how does it make sense to use OEM? BTW, I'm in no way saying that all of the aftermarket parts are as quality made as OEM, just that they don't make economic sense for my applications.

You have to be realistic getting into the project. Unless they're peanuts throw away Stihls and Echos aren't your best choice until you build a stock of parts. Trying to flip saws that only sell for $250 is never a good idea.

The Dolmar 51xx is a perfect example. I build them because I love them, not because it makes financial sense. You can build a stock of parts buying the lesser saws on the same chassis. The Xhinese are just starting to poorly copy some parts for them but I already have collected 460s, 510s, 5100s, and 5105s.20200412_153500.jpg

Thanks for your understanding CU.....I'm only doing the saw thing, cause I'm wanting to learn skills that I'm missing. I've done race cars, heavy equipment, snowblowers, and tractors and lawn tractors, and had a business for 20 years building custom cranberry equipment. I've always loved saws, and figured it was time to really learn them. No money to be made in saws from my perspective, but I don't want to pay to much for the education either. The market in New England is mostly all homeowner saws.....not many woods left here. any good saws I fix, end up staying with me.

I think a good dealer connection is a fundamental part of getting good deals, I spend more in parts at mine than saws but we have a good relationship.
I have noticed that quite a few people who start side businesses or repair shops fall into some very good "deals" on oem saws but i perfer to call that something else.

Thanks for your understanding CU.....I'm only doing the saw thing, cause I'm wanting to learn skills that I'm missing. I've done race cars, heavy equipment, snowblowers, and tractors and lawn tractors, and had a business for 20 years building custom cranberry equipment. I've always loved saws, and figured it was time to really learn them. No money to be made in saws from my perspective, but I don't want to pay to much for the education either. The market in New England is mostly all homeowner saws.....not many woods left here. any good saws I fix, end up staying with me.
That's how I started. Then there were too many to stay with me.

Don't have one.
Don't want one.
Ain't gonna buy one.
Xi want you and evereeone heer to buy knockoff: EARTHQUACK SAW!
Made by slave prison labor in China. They make great doorstops. And you can compete in really stupid modified earthquake rallies at GTGs. If they still have them, and if those saws are still running. I dunno, I never had one. I am sure that the blue Stihl chicom knock-offs are the same. They make good loaner saws for the BIL and idiot always pestering to borrow your saw neighbors.

Xi want you and evereeone heer to buy knockoff: EARTHQUACK SAW!
Made by slave prison labor in China. They make great doorstops. And you can compete in really stupid modified earthquake rallies at GTGs. If they still have them, and if those saws are still running. I dunno, I never had one. I am sure that the blue Stihl chicom knock-offs are the same. They make good loaner saws for the BIL and idiot always pestering to borrow your saw neighbors.
If you havent run/owned a Holzfforma Stihl or Husqvarna clone...you really can't speak to what they are or how they are built.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I only keep the old ones. I flip the newer stuff as a hobby as well as an occasional mower. We have a building with five newer (not new) to use on the farm and I still go right to the 029 super when a trail needs clearing. Its been awhile since I knowingly bought a Chinese part for a repair when oem was available.

My loving daughter who knew how much her dad enjoyed saws was at a large flea market a couple weeks before Christmas in 2018 and run across a vendor selling the Holzforma saws. She stopped and told her mom I want to buy dad a saw! She bought me aG660 and paid $275.00 I found out later. To my suprise under the Christmas tree was a box wrapped up that was the size and weight of what I was familiar with. Excited knowing it was a new Stihl saw because she knew I was a Stihl man I opened the box on Christmas morn with giddiness of a 10 year old expecting a Red Ryder only to see G660 on the box! For an instant there was a little EEEK! But with the smile on my daughters face and her sacrifice I was truly blessed and thankful she thought of the old man!Well the following week I put a 36" bar on it filled it up with 32:1 amsoil and pulled 7 times and it fired up and idled perfect. I ran about 6 tanks through and replaced the chain tensioner and installed a Stihl trigger assembly because it would not high idle after start-up. My good friend owns a tree business and has a large tree yard where he brings the wood and brush after clean-up and cuts up the big stuff and sells for firewood. I go to the wood yard and cut up the big wood for him mainly as a hobby and I get all the firewood I want in return. I have used that 660 cutting up mainly 60" red,post.white,pin oaks that are just knarly. I cut cross grain ,with the grain you name it. The saw is used 3 to 4 days a week at roughly 4 hours each day. The saw has never missed a beat. Cutting through these large rounds sometimes taking10 minutes non stop between the cuts pushed hard and after 2 years of running as I have written it is still running as stout as ever. Would I buy another? Probably not! But having 3- Ms 660's and 1-661 I can't complain about the blue saw!

$200. New OEM top end. Didn't even have to assemble it.View attachment 890179
Cool, $198.14 shipped to my door, all new...all i did was add gas and put the 2 dogs on. Hit on the 3rd pull running on the 4th out the box. Hoping to get fresh cutting videos this weekend in some decent sized oak.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Three years ago I rebuilt a 372XT. I ordered a crank and a couple other small parts from China. A month later the parts showed up. The crank appeared smooth and decent. The original flywheel shroud was worn through in one spot so I ordered a replacement. It was warped badly from being cooled too quickly and covered with molding flash. The only thing I could think was "if these mfers care so little about the quality of this non-essential part, what will I get with a major engine part"? I gave the crank away to someone who didn't care and **** canned the rest. Used the original shroud and found a used tight OEM crank. I just couldn't do it. Life's too short to **** around with junk.

I think these rip off saws represent everything that is wrong with our society and world. It’s hard to put into words but some guys will agree with me and others not. I’m not judging the people that do not agree with me, I’m not saying I’m better than anyone else (because I know that I’m not) it’s just not how I choose to move through my life. 3 things wrong with the saws; there is nothing right with them IMO.
Guys that don’t agree with me, don’t try to argue or convince me otherwise because there is no point, just like I could not change your point of view either. It’s all good though because it takes a wide range or people and perspectives to make life an interesting challenge

Latest posts

Back