throw weight for bigshot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1I'dJak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Going to finally get a bigshot...what is the preferable size/style of throw bag/throw line to get with it?

Well you certainly can shoot hgher with an 8 or 10 oz bag, but the trees that I most often use my bigshot for are Garry Oak with long internodes and mature Dougs that are either drawn up or have been limbed up.

With the bark on both those, I find the light bags too often don't want to come back down easily, you end up "strumming" the throw line the whole way down, so I go with 12 and 14 oz bags.

I've got 2.00 Zing-It because I got it free, can't see any reason not to go 1.75, I would if I were buying it.

But man, you can just shoot for he11 and gone with an 8 oz.

RedlineIt

...With the bark on both those, I find the light bags too often don't want to come back down easily, you end up "strumming" the throw line the whole way down, so I go with 12 and 14 oz bags.

RedlineIt

Same for our Loblollie and Slash Pine. In fact, I use a 16 oz in really tight canopies. I was spending a lot of time trying to get the smaller bags back down to the ground. And, I can still get a 16 oz up to 75 feet pretty accurately.

How high do you need to go? And how tight are the canopies you usually have to deal with?

I am also getting away from the specialty throw lines and going to Dacron offshore fishing trolling line. Its cheaper, smaller diameter (so goes further), heavily waxed (slick), and I like the breaking strength. I occasionaly get the zing-it tangled in a top. The breaking strength is so high on the zing-it I have to break out a limb or hitch the line to my Jeep to get it down. The fishing line is strong enough to do the job, but I can break it out if it gets hung up without pulling the tree down. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s..._20099_151011003_151000000_151011000_151-11-3

Last edited:
don't buy the bigshot from Sherril tree. they are about $30 more than Treestuff.com I paid $100 for mine with 8' pole at Wespur. It's $119 with 2 of the 4' poles,wish I had gotten the 2 4' sections instead, kind of bulky to transport.

Last edited:
THanks guys...don't plan on going too high yet....50-70' maybe on the maples...can't go too high on conifers...too many branches...be nice for setting up pull lines though...

I am also getting away from the specialty throw lines and going to Dacron offshore fishing trolling line. Its cheaper, smaller diameter (so goes further), heavily waxed (slick), and I like the breaking strength. I occasionaly get the zing-it tangled in a top. The breaking strength is so high on the zing-it I have to break out a limb or hitch the line to my Jeep to get it down. The fishing line is strong enough to do the job, but I can break it out if it gets hung up without pulling the tree down. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s..._20099_151011003_151000000_151011000_151-11-3

I have always used what we call heading twine here not sure what you guys would call it but you buy it from a marine supply store by the pound, you get 8000+ feet for around 15 bucks which is nice because when i get my throw lines tangled or stuck i just cut out throw whats left away and spool off a couple hundred more feet, time is money in this biz

12-14oz. with some 1.75 line. The yellow stuff. Not sure if its zing-it or fling-it. Pretty good combo for hand throws too.

Regarding the poles 2 4ft poles is not always enough. Get an additional 6 foot fiberglass pole so you can make a 10 ft assembly 4plus 6 . Makes getting those high crotches easy. 14 oz w/2.2mm zing it can punch a hole in the canopy and get you to the top
Corey

Ditto all of above. Denser crown, rougher bark (Willow oak here) go heavier on the weight and line. Lighter for open crowns and smooth bark (maples) or higher shots (pine). Extra weights and line aren't that much. Happy crotch hunting.

Well said and good advice, you only ever want to get one stuck once! Better have a back up!lol!:blob2:

LOL! yeah, just trying to help. I think if you are accurate with 16 or more, go for it because you got your line. Try a Phoenix dactylifera. Want frustration? Depends on the tree, that is why you need options.
Jeff :cheers:

I normally use a 12oz weight and Zing-It (1.75mm). I also have Dynaglide that I think I like a little better, but I am keeping that long for teh big throws and use shorter lengths of zing-it for the more frequent shorter throws.

I have a 8oz and 14 oz the 8oz gets used the most. I bought the traget throw line, But it was cheaper than the other so they are probaly better. The 6' extra pole is the best ideal, I pull it almost to the ground with the 4' poles. Now I will have to see if the older saw poles I have will fit. On wieghts I'd say one small and one large. Does anyone have Target slick line? It works ok but I think there is better out there.

Never thought about adding another pole? I must be working to Hard...

I use a small throw line storage bag( about 10" around) by weaver, I pull the line out and snap it before I put it away so it flows out when I shoot it. Just pull it out full lenght as tight as You can, And all the tangles disapear. I take my time and put it back in twisting it so it lays flat and follows the circle.

The cube thing is probly better though.

Latest posts

Back