Timberwolf splitters TW6 vs TW5

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abohac

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I tried to respond to some other guys who were talking about Timberwolf splitters but got no reponse so I thought I'd start a new thread. A buddy and I are going to buy a splitter. The question we have is wether we should buy a TW5 or TW6. There is a substantial difference in price but not all that much in specs. The TW 6 weighs 420lbs more, has a 1/2" bigger piston and 7 HP more but the same sized pump (22gpm) but claims to have 3 ton more splitting force (I don't understand this since the cylinder size is the same). I tried the TW 5 out and stalled the motor a couple of times on some really tough splitting stuff. Can anyone who has tried both let me know what you think? This is an awful lot of money and I don't want to screw up.

I tried to respond to some other guys who were talking about Timberwolf splitters but got no reponse so I thought I'd start a new thread. A buddy and I are going to buy a splitter. The question we have is wether we should buy a TW5 or TW6. There is a substantial difference in price but not all that much in specs. The TW 6 weighs 420lbs more, has a 1/2" bigger piston and 7 HP more but the same sized pump (22gpm) but claims to have 3 ton more splitting force (I don't understand this since the cylinder size is the same). I tried the TW 5 out and stalled the motor a couple of times on some really tough splitting stuff. Can anyone who has tried both let me know what you think? This is an awful lot of money and I don't want to screw up.

I think I did respond to your post but anyway, if its for personal use, the 5 is enough. I have a TW-5, which my son and I use for our own needs. My buddy has a 6 that he uses for commercial purposes. Ive run both, and I dont feel I would need any more than what I have. Not for $2500 is the 6 worth the extra money. Now remember this is my opinion. The 6 is more massive looking and more impressive, but I really didnt see any difference in the performance of the two machines. If your splitting for your own needs dont spen the extra money. the 5 is their most popular model and the resale is very good

Henry

Now all i need is their conveyor and a dumptruck. Man Im saving alot of money, yuk yuk

Where is michigan are you located? your welcome to come look at mine and run it you want. Im in howell 50 miles NW of Detoilet

Henry, you did!

Henry, I'm sorry, you did respond, I forgot what website I was on! An yes I know what you mean I just bought a 385 or 395 Husqvarna saw (I can't remember the #) but it was $1100!

Timberwolf

Henry, I'm in Owosso, not from you at all. I appreciate the offer but I have used the TW5, but I have never used or even seen a TW 6

I have not used the TW5 or the TW6 but your thread made me wonder . I checked Timberwolf's web site to find the difference.

Timberwolf does not seem to exaggerate the tonnage .

The TW5 with a 2500# rated 5 x 24 x 2 cylinder with relief set at max. 2450 psi. will give you 25 tons.
The TW6 with a 3000# rated 5 x 24 x 3 1/2 cylinder with relief set at max. 2950 psi. will give you 28 tons.

In the owners manual it is stated that large wood with more than one knot should not be split with a multi-wedge.

Triptester

Thanks. It must just be that the relieft valve is set higher. I couldn't find that info. I hope the cylinder can take it. I think we are going with the six, since it is a little heavier and I want something that will last (and won't stall). I want to split everything!

Henry, I'm in Owosso, not from you at all. I appreciate the offer but I have used the TW5, but I have never used or even seen a TW 6

I know where there is a used 6. Its around $6000. Ican get the guys number if you want. If he still has it.

I'd love it if it is whithin a couple of hundred miles

its in webberville just 30 mi south of you. Its the dealer i bought my 5 from, ILL give him a call tommorrow and check and get back to you

Henry

Already know about Bob but are you sure that it is a TW6? I know he has a new one and that is the one we are going to buy but he didn't say anything about a used TW6 (I know he has a demonstrator TW5 that we are going to take if we don't take the 6). Anyway I know about him.

Already know about Bob but are you sure that it is a TW6? I know he has a new one and that is the one we are going to buy but he didn't say anything about a used TW6 (I know he has a demonstrator TW5 that we are going to take if we don't take the 6). Anyway I know about him.

yep thats the guy, I bought a new 5 from him in Oct, he did have a demo 5 and a used 6. I persoanlly saw the 6 and it was $6000. Ive known him and his sons for quite a while. ILL still check it out tommorrow for you.

hanko & Triptester

I finally setteled on A TW 6. It is agreat machine. We bought it new from the dealer in Webberville and so far I am very impressed. It won't stall but you do have to use some common sense with the 4way and 6way (it is still wood splittin'). Anyway, the splitter is going to save me a ton on chiropratic bills but the divorce over the cost of this thing will probably due me in so if you do not here from me you know that I went to the large (and straight grained ash) wood pile in the sky!

did bob still have the used TW-6. I allmost bought that one, but decided on the 5. Im looking for a 24 or 30 ft conveyor. I hate to ask the price on a timberwolf, but I will probably go with one next spring. I do really think the machines are way over priced, but I guess as long as you can get idiots like us to spend that much more power to them.

Hanko

He didn't but he had a TW 5 36" and a regular TW5. I bought the TW6 (I'm still waiting for my wife to talk to me). As for the conveyor, I really would suggest watching farm auctions. Those are only old hay elevators. They go for change at auctions. I think they would work just fine.

He didn't but he had a TW 5 36" and a regular TW5. I bought the TW6 (I'm still waiting for my wife to talk to me). As for the conveyor, I really would suggest watching farm auctions. Those are only old hay elevators. They go for change at auctions. I think they would work just fine.

Im doing that also, If you happen to come across one please email me, [email protected].. Dont worry about the wife, she will get used to it. i know mine wasnt happy either. I told her to get her fat ass out there and split wood. Just got the big LOOK

Hank

I will (I see them all the time). Also, I told my wife, kids and anyone who would listen the same thing; if I had some Y#@$^%&*&% help I wouldn't need a $8000 splitter!

Back