Time To Buy a New Riding Mower?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, the saga continues...
They brought it back yesterday. I cranked it up when I got off work a little while ago - Now it's blowing smoke!!!
I called and talked to the owner. He talked to the mechanic. Told me it was fine, h even mowed with it. Going to send him out to look at it - maybe - today.

I ****ing give up. Can't win for losing. I'm going to bed.:dumb:
Let it run awhile it should stop smoking , ck oil level it may to full, or they tipped mower over on one side to work on it so it has oil up in the valve section , it should clear up , if not it has a broken ring , or ex valve is burnt , let them ck it out , then go to bed

They will get it fixed. It shouldn't be blowing out smoke like that. This is probably a set-up. The mechanic is looking for excuses to see you and taste your cooking! Hang in there.

Have you seen the movie, The Farmer's Wife? It is a PBS Frontline production of a true story about the desperate struggle of a young family, who are decent, salt of the earth types, law abiding and extremely hard working. Very well done depiction of the actual people involved in a never ending series of challenges (set-backs), often due to governmental policy designed to assist start up farmers. Farmers just starting out are often very hard working with little to show for all their efforts. Bet you find it uplifting.
Got to mulch.

Let it run awhile it should stop smoking , ck oil level it may to full, or they tipped mower over on one side to work on it so it has oil up in the valve section , it should clear up , if not it has a broken ring , or ex valve is burnt , let them ck it out , then go to bed
I asked him on the phone if they put oil in it - thinking it might have spilled and is burning off. Nope.
He told me to check the oil level and to see if it smelled like gas. I did, the level looks okay (hard for me to tell, really) and I think I detect the smell of gas.
Still waiting... :(

Had a good cry. Feeling better now.
The day just started out bad - a mail carrier at work decided to have a temper tantrum, yelling screaming and spit flying, in my direction. The boss was out sick. Lucky her. She actually managed to get his ass fired last year, but he was able to wrangle it back somehow. A ****ing ticking time bomb, if you ask me. One of these days he's going to really go off on someone... and then they'll wish they had done something sooner about him.

They will get it fixed. It shouldn't be blowing out smoke like that. This is probably a set-up. The mechanic is looking for excuses to see you and taste your cooking! Hang in there.

Have you seen the movie, The Farmer's Wife? It is a PBS Frontline production of a true story about the desperate struggle of a young family, who are decent, salt of the earth types, law abiding and extremely hard working. Very well done depiction of the actual people involved in a never ending series of challenges (set-backs), often due to governmental policy designed to assist start up farmers. Farmers just starting out are often very hard working with little to show for all their efforts. Bet you find it uplifting.
Got to mulch.
Maybe.
This is more my situation though, going solo.

I asked him on the phone if they put oil in it - thinking it might have spilled and is burning off. Nope.
He told me to check the oil level and to see if it smelled like gas. I did, the level looks okay (hard for me to tell, really) and I think I detect the smell of gas.
Still waiting... :(

Had a good cry. Feeling better now.
The day just started out bad - a mail carrier at work decided to have a temper tantrum, yelling screaming and spit flying, in my direction. The boss was out sick. Lucky her. She actually managed to get his ass fired last year, but he was able to wrangle it back somehow. A ****ing ticking time bomb, if you ask me. One of these days he's going to really go off on someone... and then they'll wish they had done something sooner about him.

You don't have Violence in the Workplace policies and procedures?

You don't have Violence in the Workplace policies and procedures?
Of course we do, but this is the USPS and we're talking about a man who lost his job once already and was brought back, lost his house, has nothing else to lose, and is constantly threatening to file an "eeo case" (https://about.usps.com/publications/pub133.pdf) against anyone who says something he doesn't like "because we're all racists." The only racist in the office is him.
Now you getting the picture?
You want a good laugh, read this:
https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2016/pb22436/html/info_002.htm
You can't do anything about a big mouth ******* if they're not discriminating against you. :confused:

This is a situation I think would be best handled myself. I'm considering my options and am open to suggestions. ;)
I was thinking the next time he goes off to ask him if he needs a tissue.:cry:
Emasculating him, I think, will be more effective than reporting him, which will make him think I'm afraid.

Of course we do, but this is the USPS and we're talking about a man who lost his job once already and was brought back, lost his house, has nothing else to lose, and is constantly threatening to file an "eeo case" (https://about.usps.com/publications/pub133.pdf) against anyone who says something he doesn't like "because we're all racists." The only racist in the office is him.
Now you getting the picture?
You want a good laugh, read this:
https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2016/pb22436/html/info_002.htm
You can't do anything about a big mouth ******* if they're not discriminating against you. :confused:

This is a situation I think would be best handled myself. I'm considering my options and am open to suggestions. ;)
I was thinking the next time he goes off to ask him if he needs a tissue.:cry:
Emasculating him, I think, will be more effective than reporting him, which will make him think I'm afraid.

How many of your peers would be willing to go to management in a group effort to get something done? You have the Postal Workers Union and the Teamsters behind you?

I wouldn't suggest trying to emasculate him. In fact, many guys on the edge are there because of feelings of masculine inadequacy. We overcompensate and act like utter fools so everyone will think we are tough guys. If he felt really good about himself, deep down, he'd get along with everybody.

I share these thoughts with you because I don't want anything to happen to you And cause you can cook.

How many of your peers would be willing to go to management in a group effort to get something done?
Zero. They are all cowards and none will stand up to him.
You have the Postal Workers Union and the Teamsters behind you?
No. In a case like this HE would have the Union behind HIM.

I wouldn't suggest trying to emasculate him. In fact, many guys on the edge are there because of feelings of masculine inadequacy. We overcompensate and act like utter fools so everyone will think we are tough guys. If he felt really good about himself, deep down, he'd get along with everybody.
Good point. I'll be subtle rather than a Loraina Bobbit. ;)

I share these thoughts with you because I don't want anything to happen to you And cause you can cook.
And I appreciate it. :cheers:

The guy who picked up the mower yesterday asked me if I had considered trading my mower in for a new one. o_O I could be wrong, but I don't think $120.00 in repairs justifies junking the mower... do you?
As for the sudden smoking, I'm thinking that is the fault of the repair shop.

The guy who picked up the mower yesterday asked me if I had considered trading my mower in for a new one. o_O I could be wrong, but I don't think $120.00 in repairs justifies junking the mower... do you?
As for the sudden smoking, I'm thinking that is the fault of the repair shop.
Did you let it run awhile to see if the smoking stops , I wouldn't trade it , but mowers are my hobby so I would figure out the problem, ya might change the oil , add some premium fuel and a shot of MM oil to the gas , open the hood to get some air , ck the air filter and let it run for awhile , Thats my suggestion but that and $4.00 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks,

Did you let it run awhile to see if the smoking stops , I wouldn't trade it , but mowers are my hobby so I would figure out the problem, ya might change the oil , add some premium fuel and a shot of MM oil to the gas , open the hood to get some air , ck the air filter and let it run for awhile , Thats my suggestion but that and $4.00 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks,
I did. I mowed around the house three times, and about ten minutes more... the smoking appeared to be getting worse, not better.
The guy on the phone told me debris could get in somewhere doing something to the gas/oil mix?? Not stopping the flow of gas going in somewhere? Said it would be very dangerous to drive it if that's the case.
I always put the good no ethanol gas in the mower (and vehicles).
I really appreciate the advice, but I just don't have the mechanical talent you have. I don't know what " a shot of MM" means. :rolleyes:
I do value your opinions, and whether, or not, you think I'm being taken advantage of by the repair shop.

I did. I mowed around the house three times, and about ten minutes more... the smoking appeared to be getting worse, not better.
The guy on the phone told me debris could get in somewhere doing something to the gas/oil mix?? Not stopping the flow of gas going in somewhere? Said it would be very dangerous to drive it if that's the case.
I always put the good no ethanol gas in the mower (and vehicles).
I really appreciate the advice, but I just don't have the mechanical talent you have. I don't know what " a shot of MM" means. :rolleyes:
I do value your opinions, and whether, or not, you think I'm being taken advantage of by the repair shop.
I don't know what kind of debris they are talking about , oil in the gas will make it smoke, water in the gas will make it misfire and smoke black or not run at all, there is no gas/oil mix on a 4 cycle mower, does it have power when running? Or does it run bad? Ck to see if the choke is open when running, could be a number of things , blown head gasket, burnt valve, broken ring, inlet needle on floatbowl malfunction,
Marvel Mystery oil is MM oil, it cleans carb , lubes valve stems , upper cylinder lube, If it was running Good before you took it to the dealer, depending on what kind of repair they did,I would say they want to sell you a new mower, Are you sure it's the motor smoking ? or a belt or clutch stuck on deck , or a spindle bearings running slower than deck speed causing belt to get hot? I really don't have a definite answer without seeing the mower Sorry ;

I don't know what kind of debris they are talking about , oil in the gas will make it smoke, water in the gas will make it misfire and smoke black or not run at all, there is no gas/oil mix on a 4 cycle mower, does it have power when running? Or does it run bad? Ck to see if the choke is open when running, could be a number of things , blown head gasket, burnt valve, broken ring, inlet needle on floatbowl malfunction,
Marvel Mystery oil is MM oil, it cleans carb , lubes valve stems , upper cylinder lube, If it was running Good before you took it to the dealer, depending on what kind of repair they did,I would say they want to sell you a new mower, Are you sure it's the motor smoking ? or a belt or clutch stuck on deck , or a spindle bearings running slower than deck speed causing belt to get hot? I really don't have a definite answer without seeing the mower Sorry ;
:cheers:
I think they replaced a spindle last time they had it... but it was running fine between then and this time it quit. And it definitely wasn't smoking before they picked it up this time.
I think they want to sell me a new mower, too.:nofunny:

:cheers:
I think they replaced a spindle last time they had it... but it was running fine between then and this time it quit. And it definitely wasn't smoking before they picked it up this time.
I think they want to sell me a new mower, too.:nofunny:
Do you change your own oil? If so start there, change oil , fill it to the right level , It sure sounds like it has too much oil in it , What color is the smoke?

Do you change your own oil? If so start there, change oil , fill it to the right level , It sure sounds like it has too much oil in it , What color is the smoke?
The pick-up guy checked the oil before he cranked it up and it was a tad low... within range but below the "fill" line.
:dumb2: I had asked for instructions here on how to change the oil several months ago... and then I hit the stump and it went to the shop.
If I don't hear from them by noon, I'll call and find out what's going on.
I'm just so bummed out - all that mulch I put down around the trees and weed control I did back in the spring made the yard look so beautiful... and then the mower issues, and all the rain, and all the skeeters, and the heat... it's nearly out of control now.
I'm seriously considering paying a lawn service rather than buying a new mower if it comes to that point. I know money-wise it will be more expensive in the long run, but I think it would be worth it in saved aggravation.

Oh, and the smoke was kind of a dark bluish, blackish, gray? I don't know.

The pick-up guy checked the oil before he cranked it up and it was a tad low... within range but below the "fill" line.
:dumb2: I had asked for instructions here on how to change the oil several months ago... and then I hit the stump and it went to the shop.
If I don't hear from them by noon, I'll call and find out what's going on.
I'm just so bummed out - all that mulch I put down around the trees and weed control I did back in the spring made the yard look so beautiful... and then the mower issues, and all the rain, and all the skeeters, and the heat... it's nearly out of control now.
I'm seriously considering paying a lawn service rather than buying a new mower if it comes to that point. I know money-wise it will be more expensive in the long run, but I think it would be worth it in saved aggravation.

Oh, and the smoke was kind of a dark bluish, blackish, gray? I don't know.
The reason I asked about the smoke color is a tell tale kinda diagnosis, blue - oil , black - carbon, rich , chock problems , too much fuel , gray/white- water,condensation of some sort, more air than fuel, Isn't there a mower shop besides the dealer? Dealers to me are parts changers , a bunch of mechanic want to be's with no clue, There main function is to sell new mowers not repair them in most cases,

It is going to work out. They Are trying to sell you a new unit. That's what they do. (Not all, but many outfits love to separate folks from their money like that.) You are too sharp for that. You'd hate to file complaints with the Better Business Bureau, tell everyone you know how they ruined your perfectly good machine, etc.

A suggestion. Arm yourself with knowledge, like you are doing right here. Learn about small engine repair by asking questions and reading up on them. They are not as complex as we fear.

I think the debris they are talking about is debris in the fuel causing the float needle valve to stick open when not running. Then, filling the crankcase with fuel. In my experience it's common on Briggs and Stratton engines in mowers. Some of them have a rubber piece on the end of the needle valve that can break or dry out too.

But, if the oil level wasn't over full, that's probably not the issue. The gas in the crank would raise the oil level.

It happened in one mower I had and it made a huge cloud of whitish smoke.

I think the debris they are talking about is debris in the fuel causing the float needle valve to stick open when not running. Then, filling the crankcase with fuel. In my experience it's common on Briggs and Stratton engines in mowers. Some of them have a rubber piece on the end of the needle valve that can break or dry out too.

But, if the oil level wasn't over full, that's probably not the issue. The gas in the crank would raise the oil level.

It happened in one mower I had and it made a huge cloud of whitish smoke.
That makes sense... about the gas raising the oil level, so that can't be the issue, can it?
When I first bought this mower, I almost took it back thinking it was a lemon because every time I mowed on a sideways grade it would blow smoke - like a bug fogger. It went to the shop numerous times and they always said there was nothing wrong with it. It eventually stopped doing that, after a year or two.
This isn't that kind of smoke. It's a darker gray/blue.
It's really been a great little mower and I'd hate to replace it if I don't need to.

Yes, there is another shop in town, strictly small engine repair. I think I'll call them next time.
The place I take it to now is who I bought it from and they sell mowers, saws, etc... privately owned "lawn and garden" shop.

Latest posts

Back