Time To Buy a New Riding Mower?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drove to the shop after work. Talked to the mechanic, Rick. Rick says it can't be fixed and needs a new engine. Rick says dirt was being sucked around the air filter into the carburetor, causing this that and the other thing, which is causing it to smoke and burn oil. Rick says that will kill the mosquitos in my yard, though. Yea.
Rick says he can put in a new engine for about $695, plus labor. Rick says I can use it like it is through the rest of the season and then sometime during the winter they can come get it to replace the engine.
I asked Rick how it went from "running just fine" when it left their parking lot to needing a new engine when it arrived in my yard. Rick just shrugged and said he didn't know.

I considered my options on the drive home... from a new mower to goats. I'm leaning heavily towards goats. Even considered letting the 2.5 acres "go natural." Couldn't possibly have any more mosquitos than I have now.
:mad: I ****ing hate making these kinds of decisions.

Drove to the shop after work. Talked to the mechanic, Rick. Rick says it can't be fixed and needs a new engine. Rick says dirt was being sucked around the air filter into the carburetor, causing this that and the other thing, which is causing it to smoke and burn oil. Rick says that will kill the mosquitos in my yard, though. Yea.
Rick says he can put in a new engine for about $695, plus labor. Rick says I can use it like it is through the rest of the season and then sometime during the winter they can come get it to replace the engine.
I asked Rick how it went from "running just fine" when it left their parking lot to needing a new engine when it arrived in my yard. Rick just shrugged and said he didn't know.

I considered my options on the drive home... from a new mower to goats. I'm leaning heavily towards goats. Even considered letting the 2.5 acres "go natural." Couldn't possibly have any more mosquitos than I have now.
I have been working on mowers , small engines for 50+ yrs thats a new one on me , yes replacement mtrs are high $ , I'd run till it stopped , just ck the oil time and again when you shut it off and take a break, Sorry Babe ,

Does this have a fuel pump?
Bad pressure regulator/bypass on the pump can push excess gas into carb then flood out as it runs.
A sticky float valve in the carb can do the same while it sits. If you've got a fuel cut off valve start using it religiously.
If the problem stops its a sticky float valve if not it could be fuel pump bypass(if you've got one)

An engine doesn't inhale that much dirt not being run. How did dirt get sucked in around the air filter? Have you heard of small claims court? Notify the boys at the shop that you are taking them on a nice excursion to the court and your local newspaper is joining you. They love to do human interest stories.

You'll laugh at this idea, but I'm serious. Send Judge Judy's Website a description of what happened. They may choose to go with your story, fly you all expenses paid to California, and rule in your favor. If they rule against you, you lose nothing. They pay all participants out of their own fund. Yours is exactly the kind of rip-off they love to feature.

Did they put anything in writing when they promised to fix it? So, the bottom line is, they charge you $120.00 to install a voltage regulator, claiming that was the problem, they return it to your home and upon starting it, it belches smoke everywhere. And they don't offer to reimburse you for the $120?

You can also find a lawyer who will take the case if she's confident the losing side will pay her fees. Courts often demand the losing side cough up the bucks for the winning attorney's fees. Listen up babe, put these fine businessmen on notice that the fight has just begun. You ain't even considering takin their B.S. lying down.

Well shoot TNT, my name is Rick and I don't remember none of that conversation.lol sorry to hear of all yer troubles with it. like said if it's bluish smoke it's burning oil. black and it's too rich on fuel. Lot of times them goobers will turn one on it's side to work on it and oil will run into the muffler and it takes a while to burn out. but if you run it a while that's probably not it. I hate it for ya, if'n we was neighbors I'd fix it for ya and even let ya use my zero turn. Rick sounds like an ******* who just wants to sell something. If it's a pretty old mower I wouldn't put no 700 dollars in it. I'd told rick to stick the new engine in his ass. again wish I was closer to help.

old rick is gonna learn a lot

I have been working on mowers , small engines for 50+ yrs thats a new one on me , yes replacement mtrs are high $ , I'd run till it stopped , just ck the oil time and again when you shut it off and take a break, Sorry Babe ,
I recall 25 years ago replacing the motor in my 66 Valiant. It cost $500.

An engine doesn't inhale that much dirt not being run. How did dirt get sucked in around the air filter? Have you heard of small claims court? Notify the boys at the shop that you are taking them on a nice excursion to the court and your local newspaper is joining you. They love to do human interest stories.

You'll laugh at this idea, but I'm serious. Send Judge Judy's Website a description of what happened. They may choose to go with your story, fly you all expenses paid to California, and rule in your favor. If they rule against you, you lose nothing. They pay all participants out of their own fund. Yours is exactly the kind of rip-off they love to feature.

Did they put anything in writing when they promised to fix it? So, the bottom line is, they charge you $120.00 to install a voltage regulator, claiming that was the problem, they return it to your home and upon starting it, it belches smoke everywhere. And they don't offer to reimburse you for the $120?

You can also find a lawyer who will take the case if she's confident the losing side will pay her fees. Courts often demand the losing side cough up the bucks for the winning attorney's fees. Listen up babe, put these fine businessmen on notice that the fight has just begun. You ain't even considering takin their B.S. lying down.
I don't know if I can handle another fight right now... got the neighbor killing my trees, the ******* at work, and now the lawn mower shop. Where's a friggin good man when you need one!!! :D

The guy who picked up the mower yesterday asked me if I had considered trading my mower in for a new one. o_O I could be wrong, but I don't think $120.00 in repairs justifies junking the mower... do you?
As for the sudden smoking, I'm thinking that is the fault of the repair shop.

Everyone should run a business this way. Charge somebody to repair their equipment. When you've finished destroying it, collect all they owe you for ruining it, then, out of the kindness of your heart, offer to sell them a new one, only charging .21% interest over 60 months so they can afford to pay you twice the purchase price.

Well shoot TNT, my name is Rick and I don't remember none of that conversation.lol sorry to hear of all yer troubles with it. like said if it's bluish smoke it's burning oil. black and it's too rich on fuel. Lot of times them goobers will turn one on it's side to work on it and oil will run into the muffler and it takes a while to burn out. but if you run it a while that's probably not it. I hate it for ya, if'n we was neighbors I'd fix it for ya and even let ya use my zero turn. Rick sounds like an ******* who just wants to sell something. If it's a pretty old mower I wouldn't put no 700 dollars in it. I'd told rick to stick the new engine in his ass. again wish I was closer to help.
:clap: now yer talkin. :ices_rofl:
I hadn't thought about the $120 they just charged me for the voltage regulator. I told him to bring it on out tomorrow. I am curious to see if they dare give me another bill. If they do, I might start looking into small claims court.

I don't know if I can handle another fight right now... got the neighbor killing my trees, the ******* at work, and now the lawn mower shop. Where's a friggin good man when you need one!!! :D

It's not your fight. You've got more than a dozen men at your disposal to help. Out of all of us, somebody's bound to have a good idea.

IOW, how long and how hard do you have to work to make the money, after taxes, to pay these morons to step all over you? BTW, what's the worst possible outcome if you insist these people earn their money, versus stealing it.

Their business model is perfect. They damage everyone's mowers, charge them for it, sell them new mowers to make a huge mark-up, and charge enormous interest rates guaranteed to double their profits. I've got to get that job.

Your end of the deal is to make some phone calls.

It's not your fight. You've got more than a dozen men at your disposal to help. Out of all of us, somebody's bound to have a good idea.

IOW, how long and how hard do you have to work to make the money, after taxes, to pay these morons to step all over you? BTW, what's the worst possible outcome if you insist these people earn their money, versus stealing it.

Their business model is perfect. They damage everyone's mowers, charge them for it, sell them new mowers to make a huge mark-up, and charge enormous interest rates guaranteed to double their profits. I've got to get that job.
I wonder if it might be a good idea to have this other shop pick it up and look it over for me? Not telling them any details, other than it's smoking. See what their diagnosis is?

Hold up. "I hadn't thought about the $120 they just charged me for the voltage regulator. I told him to bring it on out tomorrow. I am curious to see if they dare give me another bill. If they do, I might start looking into small claims court."

Time out. Didn't you pay them $120 to fix your machine? Why are they returning it, having charged you for fixing it, and it is unusable?

hint: in a very pleasant voice and manner, notify them you are seeking legal redress.

I wonder if it might be a good idea to have this other shop pick it up and look it over for me? Not telling them any details, other than it's smoking. See what their diagnosis is?

First things first. Hold these boobs accountable. You deserve something in return for the money you've paid them to fix your mower. That is your money you paid them.

Hold up. "I hadn't thought about the $120 they just charged me for the voltage regulator. I told him to bring it on out tomorrow. I am curious to see if they dare give me another bill. If they do, I might start looking into small claims court."

Time out. Didn't you pay them $120 to fix your machine? Why are they returning it, having charged you for fixing it, and it is unusable?

hint: in a very pleasant voice and manner, notify them you are seeking legal redress.
If I do that, I'm going to need a second opinion on what the problem is. If he says the same thing, I really don't have a leg to stand on in court. maybe the VR was bad and they did replace it. Holding them accountable for something else really won't fly, I don't think. That would be like going to the Dr. to have a heart condition treated then blaming him for not seeing you had cancer. Doesn't make it right, but mechanics, it seems, are no different than doctors when it comes to diagnosing and treating specific problems.
I'm not defending them, but I just don't see how they are at fault... other than just being guilty of having lousy mechanics. if I were a small engine mechanic, small being key here, I would check everything before I sent the machine home with my mark of approval on it. And i the air filter was so dirty as to be throwing dirt into the carburetor, I think I would notice that and replace it. Wouldn't you?

http://www.judgejudy.com/submit_your_case

Takes about 5 minutes to fill out

cc it to your local newspapers, local t.v. stations and the boobs. Let it sink to their tiny brains exactly what lengths you are planning to go to get justice.
I would never be caught dead on the Judge Judy show. You're going to have to come up with another idea. :popcorn2:

Latest posts

Back