Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my humble opinion

They are not

Allocasuarina distyla
Allocasuarina fraseriana
Allocasuarina humilis
Allocasuarina lehmanniana
Allocasuarina verticillata
Allocasuarina nana
Allocasuarina luehmannii
Casuarina equisetifolia subsp. Incana
Casuarina glauca
Casuarina obesa

Key to the species
1 Ridges narrow, prominently angular, occasionally flat in Casuarina equisetifolia but then densely hairy on ridges as well as in furrows; teeth 6–10, withering or not withering 2
1* Ridges wide, flat or slightly rounded-convex or with a median groove; teeth 8–20, mostly withering 3
2 Branchlets and cones more or less densely and obviously hairy; teeth 6–8, not withering; cone body 10–20 mm long, 10–13 mm diam., with acute bracteoles; samara 6–8 mm long Casuarina equisetifolia
2* Branchlets and cones sparsely and minutely hairy; teeth 8–10, withering; cone body 7–14 mm long, 4–6 mm diam., with broad-acute bracteoles; samara 3–4 mm long Casuarina cunninghamiana
3 Teeth 12–20; ridges smooth, flat or slightly rounded-convex; cones 7–10 mm diam. with thin, broad-acute bracteoles 2.0–2.5 mm wide and with only 1 obvious striation; samara 3.5–5.0 mm long 4
3* Teeth 8–13; ridges minutely roughened, flat or with a median yellowish groove (often masked by wax); cone body 10–16 mm diam. with thick acute bracteoles 3.5–4.0 mm wide and with several obvious striations; samara 5.5–10.5 mm long 5
4 Teeth on young permanent shoots long-recurved Casuarina glauca
4* Teeth on young permanent shoots appressed or slightly spreading Casuarina obesa
5 Teeth erect, appressed, 8–12, 0.5–0.7 mm long; articles 0.6–0.9 mm diam., somewhat waxy, occasionally sparsely hairy; teeth on new shoots erect to somewhat spreading Casuarina cristata
5* Teeth spreading to recurved, 9–13, 0.8–0.9 mm long; articles 1.0–1.8 mm diam., strongly waxy, densely and very shortly hairy; teeth on new shoots spreading Casuarina pauper

Matt

One thing has been bugging me about this thread. What species are you cutting down

Likely
Casuarina cristata
Casuarina cunninghamiana
Casuarina equisetifolia subsp. equisetifolia.

THE MIDDLE ONE THE MIDDLE ONE!!!
Plus some other ones then there was this other funny one then another funny looking suckering thing. Oh with the odd Huon Pine in there. I cut a Lemon tree up too. And an orange tree as well. And a possum, can't forget the possum.

Back again gents.
Haven't done any more felling as I had a phone call from the main manager who has put a halt on things for now. Apparently they had budgeted a set amount for the tree felling and removal on this property but after having their citrus severely damaged by hail the other week they have cut all unnecessary costs for now. No more felling on that particular property until further notice. I'm actually looking forward to a break to catch up on other things :)
They are looking at felling more trees on another couple of properties in the meantime so I may not get as big of a break as I thought. That should only be a few days though...

Have been running the 353 and the HT131 pole saw around my place this weekend cleaning up some of our messy mallee scrub. Both of these units are very impressive. The Stihl HT131 has got nuts a plenty. Sounds and smells funny though as all 4 Mix motors do ;)

Don't worry yourself Randy. I'll find more trees, I promise!
I was going to get a video today of the pole saw cutting some 3" dead Mallee limbs but in all honesty it wouldn't have rated well.

Those pole saws go alright, I have cut up to 12" branches without to much hassle. Dead mallee would give it a work out though...

Don't worry yourself Randy. I'll find more trees, I promise!
I was going to get a video today of the pole saw cutting some 3" dead Mallee limbs but in all honesty it wouldn't have rated well.

Shoulda done one. We coulda rated you on speed and style, then bemoaned your choice of brand and made unsavory comments about your manhood based on the length of your blade.

I told a few of you guys that I'd torn my medial ligament off my right knee. Turns out that after a second opinion I haven't so don't need to wear the brace anymore! Knee a bit weak and heavily taped but should be good to go in a few weeks :D

Those pole saws go alright, I have cut up to 12" branches without to much hassle. Dead mallee would give it a work out though...

Yeah mine has a 12" bar and runs it fine. It would do a 16" bar quite easily as well. I dropped a big limb of a Cedar for a guy that was about 18" in diameter. Pretty tough to do felling cuts 12 feet above your head - I did but they weren't pretty :D Oh and dead Mallee is tough. I dropped a dying one in our scrub with the 7900 last weekend and thought the chain was blunt. I wish I'd have taken a photo of the stump prior to it drying out and cracking - it looked like glass and the grain was beautiful.

Shoulda done one. We coulda rated you on speed and style, then bemoaned your choice of brand and made unsavory comments about your manhood based on the length of your blade.

Well dammit man I'm gonna do a vid ASAP.

Last edited:
View attachment 195925View attachment 195926View attachment 195927View attachment 195928I have to break out the pole saw quite often. I know what you mean on the overhead cut's. Took an Oak down friday. It was alot of pole saw work, and I am sore in my shoulder's.One limb was 16 in plus I think. Trie'd a couple time's, and couldn't get it. I just could not reach if from ther other side. So I threw a rope in the tree, and pulled that piece away from the vineyard fence, and just fell it. Man alot of running around for one guy LOL! Brought the dog's this is one of our hunting ranche's, they love to go and I am sure they enjoye's watching me scramble around. Enjoy the break Matt:cheers:

View attachment 195925View attachment 195926View attachment 195927View attachment 195928I have to break out the pole saw quite often. I know what you mean on the overhead cut's. Took an Oak down friday. It was alot of pole saw work, and I am sore in my shoulder's.One limb was 16 in plus I think. Trie'd a couple time's, and couldn't get it. I just could not reach if from ther other side. So I threw a rope in the tree, and pulled that piece away from the vineyard fence, and just fell it. Man alot of running around for one guy LOL! Brought the dog's this is one of our hunting ranche's, they love to go and I am sure they enjoye's watching me scramble around. Enjoy the break Matt:cheers:

Hey good pictures Norm. I like the old pole saws but I get a sore neck easily looking up all the time :D
Thanks.

Thank's Matt, and yep I get sore too. Get to eat alot of saw dust too. Pole saw work is definatetly hard work. I have to switch off right, and left handed to give my arm's, and shoulder's a break. I still get sore, and tire'd!

Back