Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt you best keep that 353 now!!:msp_biggrin: The 353 is one of my all time favorite saws, no way would I ever trade it for 5100. I've ran and own both and in my environment I can run a 353/346 for a month without cleaning the filter, not so with the 5100. Keep it for a while you'll grow to love it, trust me.:rock:

They are the bananas you deep fry and cover with powdered sugar.

Oh my, what could you be thinking?

Well Randy a deep fried and sugar coated banana is all news to me old son :cheers:

And people say thread derailings are bad!

No this is nothing :D

This ones not quite off the track yet.
Randy had two good ideas, the burn in place and the plantain.
They are a delicious treat, and somewhat addictive.
The OP isn't off track, its his thread.
But he place he was agoing is on a different side of the tracks, one we shouldn't throw stones at here on the glass internets.
You might hit me.

I didn't know where I was going as I'd never heard of a plantain. Google mentioned nothing about deep frying or sugar :) It's only natural to think of the worst with Randy around!

Matt you best keep that 353 now!!:msp_biggrin: The 353 is one of my all time favorite saws, no way would I ever trade it for 5100. I've ran and own both and in my environment I can run a 353/346 for a month without cleaning the filter, not so with the 5100. Keep it for a while you'll grow to love it, trust me.:rock:

It is a nice little saw for sure Andy, especially limbing etc but as you're aware the good old air injection systems seem to make matters worse when it comes to finer wood dust but they work a treat with big fat woodchips :D

Finally I got the video uploaded :D And before anybody asks yes the chain is sharp. You can even hear Tracy spitting some wood dust out!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wwJ2-qUZ5YY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Get a Belt Matt, you wont need to be reaching for you pants so much :laugh:
Cheers on that fall Bud, Got some Bronze here for ya!

Get a Belt Matt, you wont need to be reaching for you pants so much :laugh:
Cheers on that fall Bud, Got some Bronze here for ya!

Hah hah :D I wondered when somebody was going to say something about that! Unfortunately these pants although comfy don't have belt loops. They have a habit of creeping down at the worst moments, generally when a video camera is around. May have to get some braces :)

Hah hah :D I wondered when somebody was going to say something about that! Unfortunately these pants although comfy don't have belt loops. They have a habit of creeping down at the worst moments, generally when a video camera is around. May have to get some braces :)

I wear Blue jeans all the time, as far as i can remember its always been overalls and jeans! haha
I have noticed something seems like all trees in AU Looks burnt? Whats up with that?

Nice goin, Matt. You survived another day. I do think I may need to send you some bigger wedges, tho. ;) It's also different seeing you use a hammer and not an axe. Are axes banned along with assault rifles now? Stay outta trouble!

I wear Blue jeans all the time, as far as i can remember its always been overalls and jeans! haha
I have noticed something seems like all trees in AU Looks burnt? Whats up with that?

Yeah I don't mind denim jeans but they get too hot I've found and I struggle to find one with long enough legs. My guts to leg ratio is all out of whack...
As far as the trees looking burnt I agree. Not exactly sure why but must have something to do with the sap staining the wood or something. A few of the gums I've dropped lately have looked the same.

Nice goin, Matt. You survived another day. I do think I may need to send you some bigger wedges, tho. ;) It's also different seeing you use a hammer and not an axe. Are axes banned along with assault rifles now? Stay outta trouble!

Yeah haven't died yet :cheers: Nah don't need bigger wedges mate. I had 7 1/2", 10", and 12" wedges in the vehicle but they were simply not needed. The first wedge I whacked in the gum was a chewed up 7 1/2" and the next four were 5 1/2". It's easy to over wedge things. it's a bit like people using a 36" bar where a 24" bar will do. The trees that I dropped in Tasmania that were getting up around 150+ foot needed nothing more than 7 1/2" wedges. The size of the wedge needed is directly proportional to the amount of weight you have to shift and how hard you can hit it :D Apart from my 12" wedges they all have 1" of lift - the 12" wedges have 1 1/2". I also use a mini sledgehammer simply because I don't really need an axe plus I can get more force using one of these. Both of the trees in the video were pretty symmetrical. The only real reason I needed more than one wedge in the gum was due to the size of the hinge I left. I didn't want to leave too little (just in case!) with a boat shed etc behind me and an expensive irrigation flow control meter ;)

Where you do need longer wedges is where you are trying to fell a big tree against it's lean. Many people would be surprised at just how much of a tree you can drop with a 5 1/2" wedge if you hit it hard enough :)

Last edited:
I used to wear Wranglers when working cattle etc, but they restrict me too much so I've gone back to King Gee/Yakka/Bisley/Rivers drills.

I was wearing jeans today and nearly did myself a mischief jumping a barbed wire fence :msp_scared:

Would have cleared it easily in drills or shorts.

As an imported Yank, I used to wear jeans all the time. Now I find that Hard Jakkas do me just fine for most of the year - and I never wear holes in the knees because there aren't any. Of course, I have to use the 'sock savers' to keep the crap out of my boots.

And if I could jump over a fence anymore, I'm sure I'd do it a lot more gracefully wearing the shorts.

When in Rome....

If I could I'd wear elastic waisted shorts forever closely followed by tracksuit pants!
Come to think of it I have had a few Walmart emails lately...

By the way Rick, a man of your age jumping a barbed wire fence in shorts could be dangerous. Things get saggy in Summer so I'm told ;)

Last edited:
No jeans for me

After losing stuff-like my *wallet*-found it eventually, thankfully- out of jeans pockets bounding around on the tractor I switched entirely to military surplus or military style pants with buttons on the pockets and cargo pockets. Works much better on the farm here, plus I can carry more stuff. And no matter how hot it gets, no cutoffs or shorts, too many pickers and insects that can sting, etc.

[snip]

By the way Rick, a man of your age jumping a barbed wire fence in shorts could be dangerous. Things get saggy in Summer so I'm told ;)

It's autumn and I'm in the hills remember, oh, and King Gee shorts aren't Stubbies :laugh:

For those wondering what we are talking about, King Gee and Hard Yakka cotton drill work shorts are legendary tradie and farm wear here and in NZ, with the traditional Stubbies brand short having taken on mythical status since being introduced in 1972, being the preferred short of labourers and long distance truck drivers. ;)

*A warning for our conservative North American viewers*

If you aren't used to seeing grown men wearing shorts that can define a man's religion, look away NOW.

Stubbies. (modelled by our old mate, Hoges,before the botox and facelift)

0.jpg

and a pair of Yakka drills.

yy_224.gif

Them are short shorts. Somebody dressed like that around here, if I dropped my wallet I would kick it to the other side of the street before I picked it up.
Not saying you Aussies are that way, just saying thats who wears them here.
They would be cooler. I wouldn't have the fortitude to wear them here. Or the inclination.

If you think those Stubbies look like short shorts, you should see the Gawd damn 'Speedos' that pass for a man's bathing suit.

I remember on R&R back in 1970 I went on a Harbor cruise (with local sheilas and beer on board). When we got to the cove to do some swimming, they opened up this box of 'bathing suits' for us - the damn things looked like 'G' strings you would find in a strip joint.

We took one look at them and said "no way!". The girls laughed and said that we Yanks always said that, but always ended up wearing them - have a few more beers.

Sure enough, after a few more beers, some bloke finally said "fork it" and got into one. We had a great time, but nobody took any pictures.

If you think those Stubbies look like short shorts, you should see the Gawd damn 'Speedos' that pass for a man's bathing suit.

[snip]

hahahaha, 'budgie smugglers', 'dp's' (#### pokers), call em what you will, it's what most of us used to wear to go swimming in a pool to do laps, (still have mine here) but not really considered cool at the beach these days.

I remember a few posts on Pirate a few years back where one of the Aussies posted some photos where they were fabricating a buggy frame in his workshop and most of the lads had Stubbies on with their tackle almost falling out of the legs.
The US boys were agog :laugh:

Latest posts

Back