Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just been reading through this page and thought I'd pop in with some ideas. I try to minimize time at the base of the tree, kind of consider it a kill zone, where I'm trying to kill the tree and, it's trying to kill me.

Some trees need wedging, levers, jacks, explosives, etc. But if a little bigger face will cut your time in the kill zone down by a few seconds it can be safer.

We use that while climbing too. Our face cut on a big evergreen stem as we are blocking it down will often be halfway or even more of the diameter. If your tree is 40" in diameter and you can only drop a 48"-72" chunk of it this lets gravity do a lot of the work while still giving good control. Pounding wedges or trying to push against your flip line and saddle, while hanging 60' in the air, brings a whole bunch of risks.

Mr. HE:cool:

I agree. I've often cut past the 50% mark on well balanced trees so that the trees own weight fells it :D

You really should consider the adapter. It is the ultimate way of sticking it to German haughtiness.:D

Thanks mate. I have actually tried them and do like them. Hell, I even own them :D However I'm going to be as stubborn as Stihl on this one ;)

Good stuff Matt. I agree it would be better buisness to market both popular brands in Stihl es light. Don't know why they are so hard nosed. My saw shop friends sell over 250k in Stihl equipment on a good year. They were smart enough to fight tooth and nail with Stihl so the could get Husky, and echo under the same roof too. And they work on everything. They are then penalized by Stihl and not allowed what I think the gold rank? Whatever you can sell at the lowest price for. So the rental yard down the street has the rating because they are Stihl exclusive, so they can undercut the saw shop who has been there since 1974 or 77. Yet the rental yard on a good year sells 20 k worth, and most of that is not pro models either. Kind of angers me with Stihl kind of arrogant. Hddnis I agree may have to look in to them adapters myself, great bars. Rudolf I was eyeballing that bar of Brads too, great price.

Stihl being bastards to deal with? Tell me it isn't so :D I've heard some horror stories from Stihl dealers on this one. Including some very successful Stihl dealers.

One thing I should mention here...

When climbing and blocking down the face cut I use is almost always a Humbolt type. It makes it so the wood from the face cut tends to fall free on its own and also keeps the block from jumping back or rolling to the side as the face closes. It is rare a block wants to do those things, but trees are weird sometimes and you have to think a step ahead of them. Face cut can be alot more open too, to control spin on the dropping piece and help to keep it in the drop zone.

Dude. I'm gonna have to buy 100's of them and put Coca Cola out of business :) They obviously haven't heard of rootstocks.

Awesome pics and good job.. :)

Thanks mate :)

I see the 241 CM is on the Ozzy Stihl web site.

Yeah been on there for a while mate. RRP$1249 last time I looked.

Dug another video out of the archives. This is of the pop upped 7900, 28" bar, non skip Windsor 63A semi chisel, and 7 pin rim. This was one tree that I should have jacked - my missus thought it was funny though and I was puffing like a Billy Goat at the end. I was always good at smacking boundaries in Cricket but this was beyond a joke :D I have struck very few trees that have taken this much work to get over. What you didn't see was an extra trip to the ute for more wedges. It had WAY more weight than I thought. Green Casuarina is some heavy sh*t...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-tCJ2GrbPEY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
That tree looked like it might have been leaning back a wee little bit, of course it could just be the video :)
your camera person is better than mine.

Rare, bovine manure every Bunnings in Australia is stocking them and the over a dollar a seed bit was well rude.
I have been teaching seed collection as part of the nursery work for providing natives for revegetation works.

Root stock I had not even gotten that far, but you made me laugh.

Thanks mate i had a little chuckle or two,ya worked for your money on that one champ,maybe ya nead a bigger hammer.

A bigger hammer would have simply wrecked my wedges faster :)

That tree looked like it might have been leaning back a wee little bit, of course it could just be the video :)
your camera person is better than mine.

Rare, bovine manure every Bunnings in Australia is stocking them and the over a dollar a seed bit was well rude.
I have been teaching seed collection as part of the nursery work for providing natives for revegetation works.

Root stock I had not even gotten that far, but you made me laugh.

The lean wasn't too bad but there was a lot of branches on the back side of it (hah hah, I said backside :D). I've underestimated the weight of these things a few times. If I'd have jacked it she'd have been over in minutes. I think all told this tree was about a 15-20 minute exercise if I include walking to the ute for more wedges, wiping the sweat from my eyes, clutching my chest, puffing on my Ventolin, and having CPR administered by the missus...
Maybe the rootstock and Lemonade tree are genetically engineered to emerge from the same seed, already grafted? I wonder whether they have bubbles when you juice them? I need more information David, this could be a bonanza!

Maybe the rootstock and Lemonade tree are genetically engineered to emerge from the same seed, already grafted? I wonder whether they have bubbles when you juice them? I need more information David, this could be a bonanza!

I nearly....... never mind
That is gold we are gonna put schweppes out of business

Latest posts

Back