tractor mount splitter: pto vs. hydraulic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ericjeeper Using a gasoline tractor to run a splitter,.. The last gas tractor we had was a 350 farmall. it took 20 gallons a day to even have out of the barn

That's why you get a 50 - 70 hp diesel, set it on idle, and it will chug through anything. That's what my folks did for a couple years with a 1979 White 2- 70 (2 meaning 2 wheel drive, 70 designating the 70 hp, innovative, huh?)

That old diesel idled and very rarely ever made much of a grunt when splitting wood, no matter what it was. With that tractor on the splitter, the wood could have been petrified, I don't think it really would've mattered.

But as already mentioned, hooking up a 3 point splitter onto a tractor is a 2 person job; one to maneuver the tractor and the other to man-handle the god d*mn attachment into place. And I mean that in the most sincere way.

Not even sure if anyone is still looking at this forum but I will throw my two cents in because this is right up my alley. I spent five years as an agi mechanic and my father has been doing it since 1970. The difference in the tree PTO shafts mentioned Yes there is three, one smaller and older but still put on even new tractors is the 540 meaning that is it's max speed. The bigger more splined on is the 1000 again more speed and more HP. The third one is a what we called Big 1000 (not sure of the real name) it is meant for almost anything over 110hp. You guys won't see it unless you get into some big cutter or balers.

As for the old massy powering anything PTO driven oh yes it will work for almost anything. My father powered a 8" auger with a farmal H (22hp at pto) for years which makes the previous mentioned Farmal 350 look huge (350 is a great tractor) This auger took way more horsepower than any pto driven hydro pump.

As far as the debate between tractor hyradulics or PTO go with PTO if you use tractor hydros you will have to run the tractor at a higher rpm than the running a pump on pto will require.

I hope I haven't bored anyone to death and maybe helped someone on their decision. Ask if any of you have questions I love old tractors and the old man lives them.
Jared

i finally got a chance to call timberwolf and ask them what the tw3 needed. they said a minimum of 16 hp at the pto, and an engine rpm of 1800 worked the best. he said lower worked pretty well too, but was slower. he said gnarly wood was better with the higher rpm.

when i asked about pto trpm differences he let me know he didn't understand tractors as well as splitters, but told me as he understood it, no matter what rpm (540 or 1000?) my tractor was, their splitter would still do it. he siad their splitters ahd never been returned because it didn't work on a certain pto.

so, 1900 for the splitter and another 300 for the 4 way. 6 second cycle running of the little massey with the mahindra pulling logs up to it.

seems pretty sweet, if i only had 2200 bucks kicking around. but i suppose if i were to compare it to a 12 second cycle time without the 4 way wedge it would be 6 times faster, right?

david

As mentioned in earlier postings, older tractors have less pressure and oil delivery available for mounted implements. Just an example: My 1969 Volvo BM 400 Buster has 34 liter/min (nearly 9 gallons/minute) at 130 bar (nearly 1900 psi). This figures are reached at max engine rpm, and is not something I do at all. Normally 1600 rpm is max of what I use. Up to recently, my rear mounted horizontal splitter using the tractor hydraulics was not fast at all.

After changing to a rear mounted Posch vertical splitter (http://www.posch.com/cas_prod/Conte...language=en&mode=online&frameSetId=1268697336) the tractor now is capable of delivering 235 bar (3400 psi) by means of the pto shaft to an integrated oil system of the splitter. The splitter is rated at 430 o/min maximum. The old BM Volvo has 6 pto speeds, and engine rpm is only 1100 when using the splitter at the best pto ratio. My posch is one of the smallest, still with 12 tonnes of pressure.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back