tree butchers LLC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People are weird and stubborn. They think if you trim off all the vertical limbs they're good to go. The one hanging down in their face in the last ice storm.

Could I of done it better? YEP! But the person holding the check book gets to call the plays.

I'll do about anything they want, if I can't change their minds.

Except top an oak tree. I've walked away from jobs if they wanted an oak tree topped and wouldn't listen to me.
m8.jpg

I will attest to the weird and stubborn part... no contest, us people sure are.

Hey Raymond, I just got to know man, what's up with all them monkeys?
Oh I donno. :dunno: Had another chat room I played in and the ladies liked it, so I did and still have'em.
Sometimes I can respond with just a pic and found that kinda cool.
Am I gay? Oh God NO. Just making a little fun out of posting.
TreeGuy.jpg

That top on is a little gay, I wont use that one anymore.

Last edited:
I can't believe this topic went 6+ pages. Too bad the guy is cutting prices. Thats the way it goes. All you guys that are so great and stand on your credentials get this way whenever times are tough. "Its not the money, it's the principle" concept. Tell it to the bank when the mortgage is due. Keep the custometr happy and do what they ask, not what you want on their property. They want the thing topped, do it and don't look back. They want it limbed up, thats what they wanted. Go back to your perfect world when the economy gets better.

Oh I donno. :dunno: Had another chat room I played in and the ladies liked it, so I did and still have'em.
Sometimes I can respond with just a pic and found that kinda cool.
Am I gay? Oh God NO. Just making a little fun out of posting.
TreeGuy.jpg

That top on is a little gay, I wont use that one anymore.
Thanks for clearing that up, I was starting to wonder about you.....
:cheers:

I've been a member on this site since 2002... does anyone remember the days when guys that posted comments like "what's wrong with that" or "give the customer what they want and cash the check", would have been run off, chewed up and spit out in 15 minutes?... That kind of attitude wasn't tolerated and no one would buck the group conscensus and want to come back for more... This thread is a true testement to just how low the level of awareness and competency at this site has become...

Now I know the company that pruned these maples and I just had to try to "fix" a beatiful 40"+ dbh red oak that they lion's tailed. When I used the term "lions tail", the customer said "that's a self explanatory description", looking up at the tree. She was a teacher in medical school, highly educated and vowed to write them a strong letter and tell all her neighbors. She didn't ask for her tree to be butchered. That is just what they do.

I lost a job to him in my own neighborhood a couple years ago... mostly backyard removals and pruning one large chinese elm. Now I was looking at the elm and planning routes through the entire canopy planning on lightening every large limb on the tree. They ended up making flush cuts to elevate the thing to 45' and NO OTHER CUT on the tree. Same as those maples... They elevated the trees and made no other cut in the tree.

And check out this pics. Those are all flush cuts, every single cut violating the branch protection zone, which will without a doubt eventually lead to complete decay of the existing wood. The tree will become unsafe and either fail or need to be removed pre-maturely. SO yes they killed the tree. It's just gonna take 20 years!

Now I didn't bid on this job, I was just driving by in the neighborhood as they were finishing up. And they put their lawn sign on the street. I put it under the tree. There were at least three removals in the backyard. He's a removal guy. He should stick to that or learn how to prune a tree. And so should you.

I remember those days Murph, its going down hill because every newbee chimes in with how to questions instead of who`s hiring? everyone wants to make a killing quick by going into the tree biz.......can you say running before walking?

this is the reason why our trade is looked down on and why certain entities want some form of regulation, nowadays its the "I can do it all" attitude with out the knowledge for anything other than being dangerous to themselves.

when I started this trade I made $9.59 hourly, was hazed like a college frat boy and did all the ugly stuff (scared too I might add), never gave the money a thought as long as it payed the bills.....it was a pride thing and the want to obtain my journeyman card, was all I wanted!! to reach the plateau of my profession.

today......you can start em off at $15 an hour and if they dont want to do it they dont!!! and dont care, along with having to be extra sensitive to em cause its just not right to yell at the idiot!! this trade has had a bunch of mommies boys enter it crying out like baby birds!!!!!! sad thing is...Mom is feeding her birds a dose of stupidity that in the long run will worsen new hires even more so!!

LXT...............

I have nothing against arborist but for the fact that most think they are the only ones that can do it right, I can show you some seriously bad work done by one of the local so called arborist that has been on TV telling people to only hire certified arborist for their tree work, have I ever lost a job because I'm not certified, sure 1 time but then I went back and told the lady when she wanted them stubs removed call me. I could post pictures but I won't, I don't feel like being sued.

My point is, just because you have a card and number doesn't make you the best there is, it's like a drivers license, some people have it and can't drive a damn lick........

I guess it depends on who your talking about, or if you have the skill and knowledge of correct arborculture then why dont you have a card in your pocket ? I think you are knocking the wrong people!!:sucks:

I guess it depends on who your talking about, or if you have the skill and knowledge of correct arborculture then why dont you have a card in your pocket ? I think you are knocking the wrong people!!:sucks:
I'm talking about anyone that thinks they are better then anyone else just because they have a certification of any sort, I don't need a certification to tell me that I know what I'm doing. Do you need one? I started doing this long before this certification stuff started but most people seem to forget that there are people that know what they are doing that came from the seventies and eighties that are still around in this industry, we learned the hard way out in the field working our butts off only to have some pencil pusher say, hey we care about what's best for the trees, the trees have feelings.......

you asked why don't I have a card, well like I said, I don't need it. Why should I fork out the money to buy something that makes me "politically" correct?

and yes this topic does suck, this thread was nothing more than a bash Rick's Tree thread, not that I know or care who Rick is but why would someone start this thread then state who the company was that did the work and also state that they lost work to the very same company sounds like a little :cry: to me.............

This is still a free country (for now) and people still have the freedom to do what ever they want to their trees and as long as it's paying the bills I'll be doing it for them, if someone doesn't like the end results you they have the option of looking the other way...........it's like watching TV or listing to the radio, if you don't like what's on, turn the channel.

if that's knocking the wrong people then so be it.

when I started this trade I made $9.59 hourly, was hazed like a college frat boy and did all the ugly stuff (scared too I might add), never gave the money a thought as long as it payed the bills.....it was a pride thing and the want to obtain my journeyman card, was all I wanted!! to reach the plateau of my profession.

LXT...............
I started at $7.91 :biggrinbounce2:

I started at $4 an hour. I bought myself a new dirtbike(XR80, CR80, Big wheel, CR 125, RM 250) every few years. thats all I needed money for back then was to ride and was happy to work at that rate.

Yes, it does suck but you can't say its not a topic. Armchair Arborist, one of them shows up and everybody is going to be upset.

When you are dealing with institutionally owned trees you are going to need an arborist who most likey can't accomodate reisdential homeowners cause they can't afford him or they just don't want to afford him or the project don't really require more than a couple brainless dogs with saws and a chipper.
I have lost jobs to companies with a CA on staff, come to find the trees have been skinned all the way out as far as a man could reach with a set of spikes. Not one person out there knows the difference between good and bad, they hire the cheapest most easiest person.

Last edited:
Yes, it does suck but you can't say its not a topic. Armchair Arborist, one of them shows up and everybody is going to be upset.

When you are dealing with institutionally owned trees you are going to need an arborist who most likey can't accomodate reisdential homeowners cause they can't afford him or they just don't want to afford him or the project don't really require more than a couple brainless dogs with saws and a chipper.
I have lost jobs to companies with a CA on staff, come to find the trees have been skinned all the way out as far as a man could reach with a set of spikes. Not one person out there knows the difference between good and bad, they hire the cheapest most easiest person.

You know, you make a good point because ive ran that stuff as well. and i think the problem there is that the CA was on staff, and not on the job but small companies like me have that all under control, Because i sell the work and do the work CA PD 109 3A.

They want the thing topped, do it and don't look back. They want it limbed up, thats what they wanted. Go back to your perfect world when the economy gets better.

Thats all good but topping can be a libility issue. Someone gets hurt or killed from a tree that you topped, you could risk being sued for negligence. Its happened before.

Thats all good but topping can be a libility issue. Someone gets hurt or killed from a tree that you topped, you could risk being sued for negligence. Its happened before.

Can you provide evidence of this?

I'd be more afraid of getting sued for properly trimming out a tree
that the people wanted me to top but I talked them out of it.

Then during a storm, a lead falls through the roof and kills a child.
captaincaveman.jpg

Ray, I love you like a big bro but you are wrong about that. Topping trees is a bad practice and wrong. They make the tree more unstable in the long run, If a tree needs to be topped it needs to be removed.

Ray, I love you like a big bro but you are wrong about that. Topping trees is a bad practice and wrong. They make the tree more unstable in the long run, If a tree needs to be topped it needs to be removed.
LOL..Little bro-bro, I REALLY hate topping trees and always try and talk them out of it.
Then they point out large leads over the house. So I try and give them the option of side
trimming it back, if I can't convince them of just cleaning it out and lighting it up.
Then if that don't work, I try to give them a bid for just removing the whole tree.

I really do try and avoid topping trees..I do. But people around here sometimes have their minds set.
SO whatta you do?
bugs.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back