tree climber fall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokerjumper68

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
today at 11:30am my best friend and co worker matt age 22 fell 80 feet out of a fir tree, after dead limbing and wind sailing it. he was going to rappel than he fell
the only thing that saved his life was the two limbs that he broke on his way down. he has internal bleeding,bruised liver and spleen witch they removed this after noon,broken elbow,shoulder,and pelvis. he is banged upped pretty bad but is going to pull through. the only thing that we can figure that happened was that he un hooked his flip line before he was tied in, we think. i hope we all can learn from this and take are time and not get to comfortable and to make sure we check
every thing we do. sorry about the spelling

Holy crap he's lucky to be alive. I think it would be hard to get back on the horse after something like that. Hope he comes out of it O.K.

Ouch.....dang, I hate it when I have to read about another accident. Glad he is still with us.

I hope he doesn't work for Evergreen. Just a few months ago, one of their workers fell about 70 feet out of an ivy covered conifer. He cut his lifeline.

i just left the hospital, they have him knocked out right now,he's going to be fine. he told me last night that he grabbed the wrong carabiner(a dam key chain carabiner) he should have never had that on his belt. iam going to go finish that job today. always use a carabiner rated for the task your doing! and never have stuff like that on your gear for any thing.

Be safe, smokerjumper.....I think I may have once grabbed a mini biner by mistake as well.....I use one for my saw lanyard to make it a breakaway.....

..positive vibes sent..

I've a bud who lives in Buckley and does landscaping. He's also a pro skier....I have to get up to greenwater and do some tree work for another Crystal skier.

rbtree said:
Ouch.....dang, I hate it when I have to read about another accident. Glad he is still with us.

I hope he doesn't work for Evergreen. Just a few months ago, one of their workers fell about 70 feet out of an ivy covered conifer. He cut his lifeline.

was the evergreen guy accident in Wiggins MS?

Your friend is lucky to be alive. I heard from am OSHA accident investigator that the odds of surviving a fall from that height are less than one in one thousand. I hope Matt makes a full recovery.

I know a climber who fell 90 feet, back 15-20 yrs ago....he hit soft ground, bounced up in the air....lived to climb again...and the guy who just fell 70, onto his face--messed it up, plus a broken wrist, but no broken neck or body!

Matt is breathing on his own now,today they take him out of ICU,tomorrow he gets surgery on his shoulder. he expected to make a full recovery. the doctors said he wont ever climb again.his shoulder is totaled

Thought I would post since I'm from Puyallup and worked for evergreen in the past. I know the guy who fell. Was not there that day but heard about it. In the last four months there has been more property damage and people getting hurt than should happen over a 10 year period or more for that matter. I like life so I quit. Looking for work now.

smokerjumper68 said:
he told me last night that he grabbed the wrong carabiner(a dam key chain carabiner)

i'm a little confused, are you saying that he was using a key-chain biner for his life support? i wonder if that means he uses non-locking biners for everything? either way, hope he gets better soon!

I believe he had it on his saddle, and clipped into it by mistake......Ouch.

I have one on my chainsaw lanyard...and could see this happening.

Staying safe requires double checking....confirm gate closure, confirm biner is around line and/or saddle attachment, confirm lifeline set, put weight on system before unclipping lanyard.....and on and on....

no way I would have a look alike biner anywhere near my life line gear.

same goes for those look alike ropes at home depot, which have very low ratings.

rbtree said:
I believe he had it on his saddle, and clipped into it by mistake......Ouch.

I have one on my chainsaw lanyard...and could see this happening.

Staying safe requires double checking....confirm gate closure, confirm biner is around line and/or saddle attachment, confirm lifeline set, put weight on system before unclipping lanyard.....and on and on....
Excellent advice, ever since I stopped free climbing I look at my rope snaps and always walk down the tree a little after I clip my split tail together before I unclip my lanyard. I have two extra biners on my saddle, but they are both rated at 5k+. Lucky to make it, good wishes to your buddy Smoke.

I had one close call myself last fall while spiking down a locust. i am a very cautious and observent climber and its a good thing that i always double check before i put weight on the line. at the time i was carrying single action beaners on my saddle ( no locking machanism) and double acting and i accidently clipped intoa single, no lock, one and realized that my rope felt weird and i looked down to discover that i clipped in to the wrong beaner. now i only use double locking OSHA approved stuff.

. lucky.....maybe, but by double checking my gear i prevented a pretty nasty accident. needless to say i carry my extra beaners with a 5,000 lb load rate or higher now and with a double acting lock.

i agree that a cautious approach is necessary but every now and then it will slip even the most cautious and experienced of climbers minds.

-mike

Latest posts

Back