Trimmer choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcg

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
What do you guys suggest for a decent gas trimmer that will be used twice a month for a few hours?
I'd like to buy from the same guy that my 346xp is coming from and he carries Stihl and Husky.

go pick em up and get a feel for each

I assume you are buying from a walk in store? Ask him what his best seller is.. Neither one makes a bad weed wacker.

Your choice.

My experience the Husky Tap and Go head is easier to load and more reliable than the comparable Stihl head. Of course, I had the Stihl trimmer 5 years ago so they may have improved the design. One of the Stihl gurus will know for sure.

Take Care

i dont know much about the huskys but i have a stihl fs45 and it has served me well since 2002. thats useing it once a week about 1 hr at a time and hard use at that, because some parts of my yard are to steep for a mower and it has done me just fine. one thing i would do different is get a strait shaft commercial model maybe a four mix.

:cheers:

You would be hard pressed to beat the FS110. It is an OK trimmer and it is capable of running any of the Kombi attachments. If you are looking for a lighter unit, the fs100 is similar but it is a dedicated trimmer that is not supposed to run additional attachments.

I brought home a FS56 today... used it for 2 tanks and was really happy it..I had a 55 too, but that one lost a fight with my grampas tractor..

I'm thinking that the Husky 128C for MSRP of $159 should be good for what my wife will do with it. We have a good size property to maintain, but its only trimming grass edges and such, as opposed to brush cutting and clearing long grasses. This one is also lightweight and reads like it is easy to start.

Is this unit 'junk'?

In my neighborhood all the scapers use redmax. i bought a used 2100 which I believe is thier smallest "non-pro" model. it's very light and not buzzy at all. I have no problem using it for an hour at a time.
I would look at what 'Else' you need to do with the trimmer, like brush cutting and light sawing ect. if you are only 'weed' whacking go with the lightest most reputable redmax, stihl or pro husky.
Clearly a case where biggest is only needed if you are cutting big stuff often.

I also have a 15 year old Homelite I have been trying to kill for 14 years. it's like a tank and my teeth hurt when I am done with 20 minutes of light vibrating er-weeding.

For me it's about less wear on the user when I hate using something.

I'm thinking that the Husky 128C for MSRP of $159 should be good for what my wife will do with it. We have a good size property to maintain, but its only trimming grass edges and such, as opposed to brush cutting and clearing long grasses. This one is also lightweight and reads like it is easy to start.

Is this unit 'junk'?

Look on the tag with the serial number, it will also have a "durability period"
read that before you buy it. It will give you a number of hours.

The 125 is the one I will confidently call names, but I am sure it's siblings
are pretty close too.

I brought home a FS56 today... used it for 2 tanks and was really happy it..I had a 55 too, but that one lost a fight with my grampas tractor..

I now have almost 2 gallons thru my FS-56 and I love it.. used it all day today and it just kept on truckin.... plenty of power for anything and well balanced..

Look on the tag with the serial number, it will also have a "durability period"
read that before you buy it. It will give you a number of hours.

The 125 is the one I will confidently call names, but I am sure it's siblings
are pretty close too.

My 125 is great longest lasting trimmer I have owned so far with no probs!

Go with a Stihl 4-Mix, you will love it. As mentioned the 100RX is for line trimming only due to a light weight drive shaft. If you need to run a blade, the 110/130 is the one ya want. I can't speak for the other brands but I know Stihl makes some of the best OPE out, their trimmers are sweet.

I've been using an Echo straight shaft trimmer for about 4 years. One of their better units, but I can't remember the number on it? It works flawlessly and I haven't touched it other than to add line and fuel to it.....Cliff

I put a blade on my FS110 this weekend and took 1" branches off a few maples. Blackberries as fast as you can swing it. I came to the conclusion the thing is a weapon. I bought the Stihl becaiuse my dad has a Stihl that's about 27 years old now. Mowed the fenceline on 1.5 acres every week and the RR right of way twice a year. (300'x25') All he's ever done is change plugs.

Last edited:
I have a 9 year old husqvarna 325lx that has been trouble free, I also have an almost new stihl fs90. If all you want to do is trim get the husqvarna because they are lighter, but if you want to use a blade or get any of the attachments go with the stihl.

I put a blade on my FS110 this weekend and took 1" branches off a few maples. Blackberries as fast as you can swing it. I came to the conclusion the thing is a weapon. I bought the Stihl becaiuse my dad has a Stihl that's about 27 years old now. Mowed the fenceline on 1.5 acres every week and the RR right of way twice a year. (300'x25') All he's ever done is change plugs.

Well after I got my 361 and got it running...I am looking at other tools Ha Ha.
Really I do need a bush cutter and have been looking since last spring at the bush cutter. Here is why I need a bush cutter. My back yard beyond the back yard is a space of maybe 20 yards by 6 feet and its all weeds. Its beyond the split rail fence with wiring. Man this is a chore to maintain and I have a back sprayer but this stuff comes back up after a month or so especially if it rains. I am talking about branches probably the size of my thumb but mostly thorny branches and vine and all that crap. I also have a timber property that the perimeter has not been sprayed so we got all crap growing on that 5 yard boundary (sprayer did not spray close to the perimeter via helicoper as he did not want to kill neighbor's trees) so I'd say I have probably a good 1,000 yards times 5 feet of crap to cut down. I noticed the Loblolly Pine trees in the 5 yard buffer zone are smaller than the rest of the other pine trees that was sprayed. Obviously the hardwood/junk trees are competing with the pine trees.

So I gotta get something to keep this cut down and I am aware that some trees should be left for firewood and runnin' my :chainsaw:

You mentioned you have the FS110 and you put a blade on it. I presume you have the loop handle on the FS110? I see on Stihl's website recommend that a bike handle be used with a blade? I like the 100RX but this is a hollow shafe from what I understand and can only be used as a dedicated trimmer but boy that thing spins good with that motor. I will have to look at something that can handle the blade and backup as a trimmer. Not to mention the FS110 is much cheaper than the pro bush trimmer so I am looking at the FS line for a bush cutter/multiputpose shafe trimmer.

Has anyone used the Kombi trimmers?

Back